18 Posts

Blood Bowl (2016 edition)» Forums » General

Subject: I really love this edition, but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave van Zunder
msg tools
mbmbmb
I kind of miss the 'goofy-niss' of the third edition. I compaired my third edition set with this set I got friday. What really catched my eye was that in the third edition the coulors are much brighter. Also the miniatures got something goofy. They really are not 'dark fantasy'. May be it is just some getting used to. I liked that it was not all serieus. But I still have to paint my new version so may be it is just nostalgia. I am really not flaming, and am sure that after a few games this edition will grow on me. But I am wondering, are there more 'old school' blood bowlers, that own both copied and compared the two, that feel this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello, my baby; hello, my honey;
badge
Hello, my ragtime gal!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone! Take heart in the new stress on the Special Play cards, which are meant to inject some silliness into the game. And look forward to the eventual release of Halflings and Goblins and some of the goofier teams. The new models, while lacking in the cartoony feel of previous editions, are great, and you can always paint 'em in old-school pink and green!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zunder
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a photo of both boards to show how bright the coulors are from third edition vs the coulors of the 2016 edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zunder
msg tools
mbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
You are not alone! Take heart in the new stress on the Special Play cards, which are meant to inject some silliness into the game. And look forward to the eventual release of Halflings and Goblins and some of the goofier teams. The new models, while lacking in the cartoony feel of previous editions, are great, and you can always paint 'em in old-school pink and green!
Yes I agree, and I am really glad with this new edition. It just hit me when I compared the two. Not trying to talk it down or anything cause I love the quality and love that went into the new box. It's all a bit grittier. Eventually I think this edition is a much more better looking one but I am also a big fan of the silly stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you pick up Death Zone? There's pictures in there of a goblin and a halfling referee. The halfling has his belly hanging out and is holding a giant baguette. We will still be getting the silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the change, I still beleive there will be some goofy stuff. But every team does not have to be goofy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the halfling was on display at Essen along with the Dwarf team, so hopefully it comes out about the same time (soon).

https://youtu.be/-aQOHRMkxfI?t=38s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stuhldreier
Germany
Hagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmb
That are not halflings in the Video, that are the core box human.
Edit: Now, i See. The referee? Not the team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the referee with his giant baguette, I thought the goblin was there too but I can't find any pictures of it, so maybe that was me imagining things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Yeah the referee with his giant baguette, I thought the goblin was there too but I can't find any pictures of it, so maybe that was me imagining things.

It is inside the cover of Deathzone season 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
General GW art style has changed a lot since 3rd edition which I think was released back in like 93. It is "Grim Dark" or very serious Gothic with lots of skulls and spikes and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zunder
msg tools
mbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
General GW art style has changed a lot since 3rd edition which I think was released back in like 93. It is "Grim Dark" or very serious Gothic with lots of skulls and spikes and stuff.

Yes you are right. I noticed it with the new Warhammer Quest also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy Schell
Germany
flag msg tools
Actually the cover of the new verison is pretty goofy. Yes, you have the 2 guys in front (the human lineman and the orc blitzer), but just take a look at what's going on in the background! They still kept their sense of humor, especially if you think about the special play cards and the new trap door, that will have some impact on the game with future releases! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I never played Blood Bowl back in the 90s when I was hugely into Games Workshop, but remember being attracted to the general silliness of the Orcs and Goblins back then in Warhammer. This version seems to have that same sense of silliness to me, but as someone has said, things have changed. I get the impression with the core set that they are aiming it at everyone, but that the silliness is still there in the rulebook and will come out more as more teams are revealed.

As a completely new player it's the silliness that has drawn me to the game. I'm planning on collecting Dwarves based on the fact that I always had a passing interest in them back in my Warhammer days, but never collected them. I shall be painting them to reflect the fun aspect of the game, and already have a suitably silly team name and am coming up with silly player names.

To me, the silliness definitely feels like it did back in my GW days, and is probably why I'm so excited to make a team for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy Schell
Germany
flag msg tools
DavidSL wrote:
I'm planning on collecting Dwarves based on the fact that I always had a passing interest in them back in my Warhammer days,

I love accidental puns like this! I think they only thing a dwarf ever passes is water (or in this case a rather less strong ale). ^^

But have fun! This is a great game and with the Death Zone books, which add customizing your teams, it greatly improves. There is nothing like playing your own built-from-scratch star player(s) in a league environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the new refs from ForgeWorld, maybe a bit of goofy factor

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/28/new-blood-bow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gapraid wrote:
DavidSL wrote:
I'm planning on collecting Dwarves based on the fact that I always had a passing interest in them back in my Warhammer days,

I love accidental puns like this! I think they only thing a dwarf ever passes is water (or in this case a rather less strong ale). ^^

But have fun! This is a great game and with the Death Zone books, which add customizing your teams, it greatly improves. There is nothing like playing your own built-from-scratch star player(s) in a league environment.

Dwarves also pass out... but nothing is more fun than a treeman tossing a halfling (with the ball)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robkoch2112 wrote:
but nothing is more fun than a treeman tossing a halfling (with the ball)!

What about an Always Hungry troll picking up a goblin with the ball to throw and then biting the gob's head off instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.