1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] ANDROMEDA PROJECT - EPIC EMPIRE building game in Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Greetings guys to The Andromeda Project.

Some SNEAK PEAKS:

Andromeda where a DISCOVERY is just a BEGINNING...

PLAYER BOARDS

Morality in Andromeda: Which path will you take...?

LAW CARDS

SPECIAL FOCUS CARDS

BATTLEFIELD

BOARD

I will keep this short and hopefully intriguing for the time being, but as days pass by, I will add bits of information, as well as a general progress of it.

CHAPTER 1 - INTRODUCTION

For today I will give you the basic idea of The Andromeda Project.
It is an attempt of a grand strategy game in space, a game that has not for me come since Twilight Imperium 3rd edition.

A first sneak peak and short description of the game, I will give to you, is the following:

- You will lead a UNIQUE RACE into space, unique in the way they play and unique in how they fight in battle
- You will be asked to question your MORALITY. Will you follow a path of good, neutrality or evil?
- You will encounter and settle strange new worlds and each time you do, you will be presented with DECISIONS in how you do it
- You will have MORE OPTIONS in how you can win the game
- Your options will not be clear to the players and you will have an option to KEEP THEM GUESSING till the end of the game for which victory you are really going for
- You will have battles where TACTICS matters, where taking your opponents into account matters
- You will be able to build TRADE FLEETS, you will be able to maneuver the INTERGALACTIC POLITICAL arena, forge trust, alliances and discover that in space and in another galaxy, things are strange and alien indeed

This is The Andromeda Project. I will leave you for now with a link to the official Facebook site, where you will be able to keep track of the project itself and where a bit more sneaks and peaks will be given.

https://www.facebook.com/theandromedaproject/about/?tab=page...

Till the next day and a new chapter in our story this is me signing off.

CHAPTER 2 - WINNING THE GAME

In The Andromeda Project you can win the game in one of 4 different ways, at the beginning of a game you get two Victory Cards and those will determine your possible ways of winning the game

The 4 options are:

1) The way of a Merchant
2) The way of a Warmonger
3) The way of a Scientist
4) The way of a Politician

Now the above 4 may seem familiar to you and you are partially right and at the same time wrong if you are thinking that Trader wins via trade, Warmonger fights and so on...

In fact one of goals of the game and purpose is to keep you guessing from the get go. And when a player will be going for a certain planet, trade, political ambition and so on, you will be left wondering constantly which type of victory this player is actually going for.

I will give you a short example:

Player going for a political victory will get "POLITICAL VICTORY" points from the following:

A) From control of the Trade Node planet
B) From possession of a special resource KAMIUM
C) From possession of a special resource ANDROMEDUM
D) Per each special resource in possession (either direct or via trade)
E) For each time he is elected Vice President of Intergalactic Council
F) For each time he is elected President of Intergalactic Council
G) From hidden treasures
H) From control of a TRADE SECTOR
I) From control of a lost world REN

Maybe it sounds complicated, but it really is not, it is in fact quite clear and simple as shown from the play tests.
I know the above can and probably does raise new questions about the game. But that is good. As we will slowly learn more and more about Andromeda Project in our next meeting in chapter III when we will take a look at the MORALITY system in the game.

Hi guys, it is Sunday 15:40 as I am writing this according to CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME, but in The Andromeda Project it is time to, as promised, tell you about something called the MORALITY SYSTEM.

So without further ado let us jump into it:

CHAPTER 3 - MORALITY SYSTEM

In The Andromeda Project there are 3 main MORALITIES.

1) GOOD
2) NEUTRAL
3) EVIL

While their naming sounds defining they really are not, well not 100% at least.

The way it works is the following:
You start a game as a so called "Tabula Rasa" - An unwritten sheet of paper. Yes you pick your Race, yes you get your own Victory Goals, but as you start exploring your surroundings and the GALAXY itself, you will also shape your own MORALITY.
That can be either GOOD, NEUTRAL or EVIL. And you can go into it with a clear mindset that you wish to play the Galactic oppressor, or the Galactic guardian or whatever, but you will also realize, that it will be those first few encounters that will draw a pathway upon which you will walk and will define your Morality.

Morality will therefore play a major role in The Andromeda Project. It will effect your decisions, it will effect your first encounters, it will effect the way you play and the way you interact with other Races (players)

Key word being EFFECT, it will effect but WILL NOT DEFINE. Because in The Andromeda Project I wanted to make sure players have a variety of approaches on how to go about and achieve their goals.

So hopefully you will let your morality be that additional role play element in your game, which is, I can assure you, far from meaningless.

Till the next CHAPTER in our book, when we will be talking about The MAP and the GALAXY itself in The Andromeda Project this is me saying goodbye and at the same time inviting you to stay tuned and keep track of The Andromeda Project.

Kind Regards

Lan

As promised here I am again with chapter 4. Let's jump right into it...

CHAPTER 4 - Andromeda GALAXY (The Map)

GALAXY MAP (Version 2.0.)

Today I will be talking about we currently have and how it is intended to work.

We have a game set up for 3-6 players. So the board itself is set up to support 3,4,5 or 6 players games and my intention was also to do it as fair and symmetrical as possible without sacrificing the feeling of natural random space.

One of the big questions was also: "Will the static map be a reason for mini-maxing and lower replay value?"
Because this was the last thing I wished for.

I wanted to answer to that with a definite NO and so far, at least after the 1st testing phase I am happy with how it all came out.

But enough about general talk, let's state cold facts:

Andromeda's MAP comes with:

- 2 trade sectors (Western and Eastern Trade sector)
- 2 Trade Node planets
- 6 possible Home World planets
- 28 SYSTEM SECTORS
- 70 First encounter planets (those are divided further into production, technology, political influence, ? options)

Together forming 83 "planets" (or rather "planet tiles")

Between the planet tiles there are mostly hyper lane tiles with two special wormhole connections.

Planet tiles are fixed on map in point of position, but they are not fixed in terms of...What kind of planet you expect to find when you reach the tile itself.

Hyper lanes are like pathways between planet. But in order to prevent choke-points, there are ways to avoid them.

This will be it for now and today, take it as a small sneak peak into the BOARD itself.

Next time in chapter 5, we will talk about The Races of Andromeda Galaxy.

Till then, I do wish all of you who are maybe reading this, a nice remainder of your day.

So far we have talked about mechanics and what not, but this time we are going to take a close look or rather sneak peak at one of the main Role Playing elements of [b]The Andromeda Project
and that is the Races of the board game.

CHAPTER 5 - RACES

For now we will not reveal the names of the Races and we will also leave one of the races completely in the dark, just so we can tease a bit more. But no worries you will still learn some interesting bits.

There are currently 6 RACES in The Andromeda Project and we will present them with nicknames for now, to let you know more about them

1) The Zappers
2) The Hologrammers
3) The Assimilators
4) The Terraformers
5) The Hive Mind
6) UNKNOWN

One of the goals of The Andromeda Project, about which we have already spoken about, was to make sure that when you make a certain decision you feel the weight of it and that you truly do feel different to the other players, a unique race.

And naturally the most defining element for sure in all of that are races themselves. Lets talk a bit about them and give small sneak peaks into what they are, how they work.

1) The Zappers
The Zappers are a race which will adapt to circumstances on the battlefield will try to use their specifics for attack as for defense. In terms of battlefield capabilities, they are definitely a well balanced race. Meaning they can attack and defend quite well.
In terms of their play through they are probably the most logistically capable race, as they can build huge portal gates through which they can travel long distances...

2) The Hologramers
Called so for their ability to use holograms on a wide scale. You will feel as fighting ghosts and you will quickly realize that that sometimes you just don't see it and it was always there

3) The Assimilators
There is no denying it, this is just a race which draws strong inspirations from dozen of literature or media titles, games and what not. From the Replicators of SG1 to the Nekro Virus of Twilight Imperium.
They are a mix of many things and I believe their nickname tells a lot, and makes you get that chilly feeling just thinking about it...

4) The Terraformers
This is the race with many nicknames. From the upgraders, creators, designers...
The list goes on. Easiest to put it, would be, they come and they improve they make it suit their needs and then they manipulate it to extremes...

5)The Hive Mind
And this is probably the easiest to guess just from the name. They come and they come in swarms, connected by a strange link which makes them act as one...

I hope you had at least half as much fun as I did writing this chapter, cause if you did, then you certainly had a blast.

Next time we will look into Trade in The Andromeda Project. But till then like always, stay tuned for more

As we are slowly making our way through December The Andromeda project is not resting one bit. We are closing in on our first prototype ready for testing and although the testing itself was pushed back for one week on 22. of December I must say it was with ease I made this decision knowing fully well that this will just make for a better first experience as last details and polish on the prototypes are made.

Well meanwhile we will however continue with our "story" and so here is the new chapter for today.

CHAPTER 6 - TRADE

I wanted to make sure that in The Andromeda Project Trade is a well thought feature. It was something which I saw as a huge minus in a space opera such as Twilight Imperium III edition and many other great space games.
I didn't want to make trade a tedious business also. I wanted it to become one of vital things in the game and I think I can say that I am proud at how all of this has turned out to be.

In The Andromeda Project Trade will definitely be a strong feature which will influence the player in many areas of the game.

1) ONE OF THE 4 POSSIBLE VICTORY paths

Like already mentioned there is a path of a Merchant one can take to win the game. But don't think for a second that this means, that all you will be doing is trading goods and counting your space credits.
No it just means a player can focus heavily on the trade aspect of the game and come out as a winner. You will still need to fend for yourself and you will still need to be present in the political as technological arena, discarding any of those 3 completely will most likely mean that your path of a Merchant will be very sad and short-lived.

2)SPECIAL RESOURCES

In Andromeda, we will have 6 special resources, each will give you a nice bonus/feature and will definitely become something which will be sought by the great races.
You will have the ability to trade with the resources you own, naming your own demands in return for access.

3)TRADE FLEETS

Players will have an option to, on their turn, build Trade Fleets. Trade fleets. They will ensure your power over the trade in sectors, or more specifically will help you get control over them...

4)TRADE SECTORS

There are two trade sectors in Andromeda. East Trade Sector and West Trade sector. Control of the sector is important. The one who controls the Trade Sector immediately gets access to all the special resources within it.

5) TRADE NODES PLANETS

Finally there are the 2 Trade Nodes, the two planets, where major trading routes are going through. Therefore they become a strategic point of interest, especially for players seeking Victory through the path of a Merchant, as controlling the Node will yield you extra Trade Victory points and therefor can be a deciding factor giving you the so desired rule over the galaxy.

I hope this sneak peak has given you a general idea about how the TRADE aspect of Andromeda is going to look like and I hope you are ready to "SPICE" things up in the quest for a galactic supremacy. The Andromeda Market...ummm I mean galaxy is vast and full of wonders.

Till next time and chapter 7 when we will be looking a bit into Technology in Andromeda this is me saying goodbye and stay tuned.

It's that pre-Christmas time of the year and all around us it's that joyful spirit.
I personally think that this is ideal time to talk about our today's topic or chapter.
Today in The Andromeda Project we shall speak about Technology

CHAPTER 7 - TECHNOLOGY

It is a given, or a must, that a game like this involves the Technological advancement and has it as a separate mechanic of the game.

No different here. Yet I wanted to approach the entire ordeal a bit differently and give it a nice spin off shine while also trying to tackle some of the problems that I saw with previous games.

So before talking about Technology itself, let us talk about what Andromeda Project wished to avoid looking back at other games of the genre.

1) Hard to keep track Tech Tree
- In Andromeda Project I didn't want to just add a bunch of Tech you could research and then keep the tech cards in front of you and try to at every point of the game keep track of it.
I wanted to make sure players could keep track of it in a more simple manner

2)Lots of tech with +1 bonuses
I also wanted to avoid a bunch of tech which would just stack bonuses on top of each other. Which partially applies to point 1 where it becomes harder to keep track of it.

3) Time spent picking the Technology you want
We all know it and have realized it at some point when we were playing such games. Picking the technology and players deciding on it, takes a great amount of time and also causes a game to potentially drag.

There were naturally other things but those three I felt was something I really wanted to tackle and avoid doing as much as possible.

Now of to the more interesting and fun part. How is Technology in The Andromeda Project Handled.

Well First of all: Technologies in Andromeda Project are separated in 4 different branches. 2 MAJOR one and 2 MINOR one.

The 2 MAJOR BRANCHES are:
War TECH
General TECH

The 2 MINOR BRANCHES are:
Racial TECH
Morality TECH

The first one is I think more straight forward. It's a general separation of Tech into two areas, one focusing in improving MILITARY STRENGTH, second are the GENERAL improvements which will cover everything else. But it does not mean that GENERAL TECH will not add to the MILITARY STRENGTH or vice versa so like always a blurry and not set in stone distinction.
As for the Minor Branches. Racial techs are tech specific to each race, while Morality tech is a special tech you can get access to based on what Morality you are part of. (So Evil, Neutral, Good)

VICTORY - PATH OF TECHNOLOGY

Pursuing wisdom and Technology is certainly one of the ways to obtain victory and win in The Andromeda project. But like with other victory type it does not mean you can totally neglect other aspects of the game.

RESEARCHING A TECHNOLOGY

The way research works in Andromeda is as follows:

1) TECHNOLOGY AGES

There are in total 5 Technology AGES in Andromeda and players can on their turn spend technology points to reach a next Technology age which will then be reached on their next turn.

So Technologies themselves are therefor naturally divided into 5 tiers (if we simplyfy the terminology)
Each Technology AGE will mean you can only discover/research Technologies of that tier. And yes that means you will no longer be able to research Technologies of the previous ages.

2) Why is it so and is it fixed in stone?

There are 3 major reasons for why that is the case

First one is the time aspect of things. If you have a huge technology tree of about 50 technologies like we have here in Andromeda, picking the Technology you wish to research would take a long amount of time. Making it so that the players will only have to pick from the Technologies of the Technology AGE they are in, makes it that more faster.
And that is not all, next to that, because there are still 10 or so technologies per age to pick from, to further on save on time and add on variety, players will be each turn picking up 2 cards from the top of the deck of a certain Tech AGE pile and then they will simply have to decide to pick one of the two. Now picking between the two Technologies all of the sudden is not so hard right?
And if I further on tell you, that there is a so called pre players turn where all players at the same time do this...
Can you imagine just how much time was saved by doing this?
Well us doing the playtests can tell you that a ton...

Second one is an important reason I think for a strategy game like Andromeda. Because it gives you the decision to make on whether or not, to push towards the next age and try to get those more advance technologies...get that technological advantage maybe? But when is the time to do it? When have you researched enough in your current age? That for me is strategic, tactical and raises positive questions for the players.

And third and last no it is not fixed in stone and no it does not mean that there is no way for you to get those missing technologies. However there is a special price you will have to pay for it.
First being in resources and second in political standings.
You see, there is an option in Andromeda to steal a technology from another player.

But that is all a new story and for a new pre-Christmas chapter in The Andromeda project, when we will be talking about ESPIONAGE and Hidden Agents missions.

Today's topic will cover the ESPIONAGE part of Andromeda

CHAPTER 8 - ESPIONAGE

Yes, espionage is a feature and more then just a cherry on top of a nice looking cake.
To be less discrete:

In The Andromeda Project you will be able to spy on your opponents, perform sabotage missions and in general will no be just relying on brute force in warfare.

To be more specific. You can preform 3 different COVERT ACTIONS.
- SPY
- SABOTAGE
- STEAL

Each covert mission will cost you some resources and each covert mission can have 2 possible results:
- Failure
- Success

Like mentioned, covert won't be just a fun addition to the overall game play, but a feature which can be deadly if used correctly or if not prepared against it.
It will spread through all areas of the game, from Military, to Trade, Science and Politics.

In the end it will be your choice how you play and how you approach the entire COVERT part of the game, but know fully, that neglecting it completely and not protecting against it, may cost you more then you think.

Let's explain a bit how it works:

1) Players will on specific turns have an option to preform COVERT ACTIONS.

2) To preform a COVERT Action players will need to pay with production , pick a player they wish to target and finally pick one of the 3 possible COVERT CARDS and place it face down on the table declaring that they are preforming a COVERT operation against an X opponent

- SPY
- SABOTAGE
- STEAL

3) The targeted player will no know what type of COVERT action the player is attempting (spy, sabotage or stealing a technology)but they will have an option, if they possess appropriate COUNTER INTEL tech, to try and prevent it

4) I will not go into details of how exactly it works but suffice to say that in the end if a player succeeds with his COVERT operation he will resolve it's effects show his COVERT CARD and pay the appropriate price for it.
If he is not successful however, he will not be obliged to show his card and the targeted player will be left wondering, just what exactly the player just now attempted.
Was it an "innocent" SPY ACTION?
Was it an attempt to sabotage him?
Or did he just tried to steal Technology from him and what Technology was it?

You can imagine that all of the above make for some really interesting interactions between players and I think gives the COVERT side of the game the proper feel to it.

InCHAPTER 9 we will take a look at POLITICS in The Andromeda.

CHAPTER 9 - POLITICS

Politics in Andromeda is as said an extremely important aspect of the game. In fact I wanted it to be so important that I included it into one of the 4 possible TYPE of victories. (POLITICAL VICTORY)

To understand just how POLITICS works in Andromeda, we need to first take a look at POLITICAL INFLUENCE. It is treated as a RESOURCE in Andromeda. Every planet has its own POLITICAL INFLUENCE it will provide, but that political influence will depend on your approach. In other words it will also depend on your current Morality because some minor races will appreciate the kind approach, while with others, you will achieve a lotmore with oppresion. The bigger your Political Influence, the bigger your Empire can get and bigger your stability. The bigger your influence the better you will also fare on the political stage and be able to effect and shape the Galaxy itself

An example of Political Influence on Planets:

If your political influence is too low your expansion and stability can suffer.

But where your political Influence really shines is when every few turns Intergalactic Council of the Andromeda Galaxy meets.

All players send their representatives and important matters of the Galaxy are discussed.

INTERGALACTIC COUNCIL MEETING consists out of 3 MAIN phases:

1) Voting on Intergalactic President
2) Voting on Intergalactic Vice President
3) Voting on LAWS

LAW CARDS:

For each phase players will gather their POLITICAL INFLUENCE in the form of Political Tokens and bid on respective matters. The way it is done is in my opinion intriguing and really pits players into wondering what they should do and what player or LAW they should support, because the decision really does matter.

In the end Politics can further on be investigated and used when it comes to chosing your FOCUSes. There are a total 6 of those and one of them is a POLITICAL FOCUS which will further on send you on a path of becoming Politically very influential race and give you an option if you so wish, to really dive deep into that Political aspect of the game and play the chess mastermind of the galaxy...

You will see on a new map (version 2.0) there are different SYMBOLS on planets. The Yellow ones are the POLITICAL INFLUENCE SYMBOL and what they mean is, that the planet on that location, will offer you a POLITICAL INFLUENCE. You will aim for those, if you try to increase that.

In CHAPTER 10 we will be discussing FOCUSES in Andromeda and how each player will have an additional option to choose their gamestyle/gameplay and we will see that in Andromeda, players really have a myriad of ways to play and win!

Till next time I bid you all a kind farewell!

Today in Andromeda we are going to take a look at the game mechanic in Andromeda called The FOCUS!

CHAPTER 10 - FOCUS

Initially the point of FOCUS mechanic was, together with the game mechanic called the QUESTS, which we are yet to talk about, to make sure game is not too dull. So that a player always has something to do and turns dont feel too similar and what not.

SPECIAL FOCUS CARDS:

However in the end The FOCUS mechanic ended up becoming mostly something else. It now actually has 2 more significant meanings in Andromeda.

1. It gives a player a further option to specialize in a certain field/game style .

2. To offer even more ways to obtain your goals, your victory and to just give that additional X factor to the entire thing, so that there are just so many factors and ways to go on about winning and playing this game that not only it makes it all more fun, but also extensively hard to, with certainty, only rely on one strategy or FOCUS on one path towards the ultimate goal

I have just now told you a lot of stuff but at the same time didn't quite tell you much did I? So what are FOCUSES?

There are a grand total of 6 of them:

1. TRADE FOCUS
2. PRODUCTION FOCUS
3. TECHNOLOGY FOCUS
4. POLITICS FOCUS
5. ESPIONAGE FOCUS
6. TREASURE FOCUS

The way it works is, that every player in turn order will be able to every few turns pick a card from one of the 6 card piles each representing it's respective focus. By doing so you will be able to strengthen that area of the game as naturally cards will provide bonuses, events, abilities, actions... you will be able to do, which again will in general help you in each of the respective 6 areas

TRADE FOCUS = TRADE
PRODUCTION FOCUS = MILITARY
TECHNOLOGY FOCUS = TECHNOLOGY
POLITICS FOCUS = POLITICAL INFLUENCE
ESPIONAGE FOCUS = COVERT
TREASURE FOCUS = VICTORY POINTS

Among each of the 6 FOCUSES there are also the so called SPECIAL FOCUSES, you can achieve in each category, which will give you access to a special project or a huge boost in that field in general!

In the end you will be the one deciding how you wish to approach this and how you wish to play your game of Andromeda, which has always been my goal.

That will be all for today, later I will post a sneak peak picture of the FOCUS CARDS and for next time in CHAPTER 11 we shall talk about QUESTS mechanic in Andromeda.

See you soon!

Today we are going to talk about a game mechanic in Andromeda we call MORALITY QUESTS.

CHAPTER 11 - MORALITY QUESTS

Morality Quests in andromeda are basically your small side quests you can acomplish durring the game, which will help you on your path towards the final victory as they all offer VICTORY POINTS for their completion. Some of them are easier, others are a bit harder and the amount of VICTORY POINTS they offer reflects that.

There are in total 3 TYPEs of MORALITY QUESTS DECKS:

1) EVIL MORALITY QUESTS
2) NEUTRAL MORALITY QUESTS
3) GOOD MORALITY QUESTS

You will be drawing from the Morality Quests pile a few times per game and you will only be able to DRAW from it, after your Race's Morality has been decided or with other words after the first three colonizations / furst encounters happen.
So if your race is a race of EVILDOERS, you will each time be drawing from the EVIL MORALITY QUESTS pile of cards and you can expect your QUESTS will be a bit more nasty looking and agressive in nature compared to the other two piles.

The purpose of these piles is to give you additional goals to that one big one you already have, keep the game interesting, dynamic, to trigger more interactions and in the end to further on touch upon the MORALITY mechanic and fleshen it out even further.

So that would be all for today, hope you guys enjoyed and next time in Andromeda in chapter 12, we are going to take a closer look on how BATTLES in ANDROMEDA LOOK like.

Till then I wish you all a nice remainder of the day

Just one week till the official 1. playtesting of Andromeda we are going to today look at one of the most important things about a grand strategy games and that is... it's battles. Like almost all Grand Strategy games Andromeda also has battles and they are one of the most important aspects of this game where Races are fighting for control of the Galaxy. No matter if you are pursuing TRADE, TECHNOLOGICAL or POLITICAL victory path instead of WAR one, doing battles and fighting other players for the board is probably something you will have a tough time avoiding.
So today in CHAPTER 12 let us see how BATTLES in Andromeda are being played out.

CHAPTER 12 - BATTLES

A Battle in ANDROMEDA takes place if a Player is attacking or is attacked by a FLEET or is OVERTAKING a planet or defending it.

The entire BATTLE takes place in a special board called the BATTLEFIELD.
It consists out of two halves where both players will place their units and a SCREEN will be placed in between the both halves to prevent each of the players to see the placement of opponents units before the actual battle start.
Players can place their units on one of the 3 parts of the BATTLEFIELD

Left Flank
Center
Right Flank

The placement is important because of an OUTFLANKING game mechanic which offers additional bonuses while attacking to SHIPS which are not contested by other ships on the other side of the Battlefield. This BONUS is called the OUTFLANKING BONUS

A Battle consists out of BATTLE ROUND and the FIGHT will only finish when one of the two things will happen

1) A PLAYER will COMPLETELY DESTROY THE OTHER PLAYER
2) One of the players will FLEE the battlefield

The BATTLE ROUND itself consists of BATTLE SEQUENCES where players will

- USE THEIR SPECIAL ABILITIES
- POSITION SHIELDS
- ENTER IN LONG RANGE PHASE
- ACTIVATE SHIELDS
- RESOLVE LONG RANGE HITS
- AGAIN POSITION ITS SHIELD
- ENTER IN SHORT RANGE BATTLE
- ACTIVATE REMAINING SHIELDS
- RESOLVE SHORT RANGE HITS
- REPEAT THE PROCESS

After the BATTLE players will then have to immedately repair their damaged ships if any and lose them if unable.

In "short" this is how BATTLE in ANDROMEDA looks like, but trust me when I say it is a lot more FUN in actual play than just reading it here. When different races with different tactics and abilities meet it truely is an interesting AFFAIR.

And after all all RACES were designed so that they would offer something unique and special in BATTLES themselves.

- TERRAFORMERS mostly use the environment they reshape and get special back up from any surrounding planets in their possession
- ZAPPERS will switch FLANKS durring the course of the BATTLE
- ASSIMILATORS will take your own ships and turn them against you
- HIVE MIND will use their MIND LINK ability
and
- HOLOGRAMERS will send HOLOGRAPHIC PROJECTIONS of their space ships so you will be busy chasing ghosts while the real deal sneeks in behind for a leathal kill

Well thats the idea anyway. We will see it in action soon enough

Next time on ANDROMEDA in Chapter 13 it will be a bit different chapter and let it stay as a surprise till than.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] ANDROMEDA PROJECT
CHAPTER 2 - WINNING THE GAME

In The Andromeda Project you can win the game in one of 4 different ways, at the beginning of a game you get two Victory Cards and you pick one for your victory goal.

The 4 options are:

1) The way of a Merchant
2) The way of a Warmonger
3) The way of a Scientist
4) The way of a Politician

Now the above 4 may seem familiar to you and you are partially right and at the same time wrong if you are thinking that Trader wins via trade, Warmonger fights and so on...

In fact one of goals of the game and purpose is to keep you guessing from the get go. And when a player will be going for a certain planet, trade, political ambition and so on, you will be left wondering constantly which type of victory this player is actually going for.

I will give you a short example:

Player going for a political victory will get "POLITICAL VICTORY" points from the following:

A) From Political influence points which he will be able to transform into POLITICAL VICTORY POINTS
B) NUMBER OF PLANETS under his CONTROL
C) Per each special resource in possession (either direct or via trade)
D) For each time he is elected Vice President of Intergalactic Council
E) For each time he is elected President of Intergalactic Council
F) From hidden treasures

I know the above can and probably does raise new questions about the game. But that is good. As we will slowly learn more and more about Andromeda Project in our next meeting in chapter III when we will take a look at the MORALITY system in the game.

Till next time I will leave you with one additional bit of information, which you can also check on The Andromeda Project FB page. On December the 15th first open playtesting of The Andromeda Project is scheduled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] ANDROMEDA PROJECT
Hi guys, it is Sunday 15:40 as I am writing this according to CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME, but in The Andromeda Project it is time to, as promised, tell you about something called the MORALITY SYSTEM.

1) GOOD
2) NEUTRAL
3) EVIL

You start a game as a so called "Tabula Rasa" - An unwritten sheet of paper. Yes you pick your Race, yes you get your own Victory Goal, but as you start exploring your surroundings and the GALAXY itself, you will also shape your own MORALITY.
That can be either GOOD, NEUTRAL or EVIL. And you can go into it with a clear mindset that you wish to play the Galactic oppressor, or the Galactic guardian or whatever, but you will also realize, that it will be those first few encounters that will draw a pathway upon which you will walk and will define your Morality.

Morality will therefore play a major role in The Andromeda Project. It will effect your decisions, it will effect your first encounters, it will effect the way you play and the way you interact with other Races (players)

Key word being EFFECT, it will effect but WILL NOT DEFINE. Because in The Andromeda Project I wanted to make sure players have a variety of approaches on how to go about and achieve their goals.

So hopefully you will let your morality be that additional role play element in your game, which is, I can assure you, far from meaningless.

Till the next CHAPTER in our book, when we will be talking about The MAP and the GALAXY itself in The Andromeda Project this is me saying goodbye and at the same time inviting you to stay tuned and keep track of The Andromeda Project.

Kind Regards

Lan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] ANDROMEDA PROJECT - Grand Strategy game in Space
BlueOne8 wrote:

1) GOOD
2) NEUTRAL
3) EVIL

You start a game as a so called "Tabula Rasa" - An unwritten sheet of paper. Yes you pick your Race, yes you get your own Victory Goal, but as you start exploring your surroundings and the GALAXY itself, you will also shape your own MORALITY.

Kind Regards

Lan

What if the three moralities were shaped more around guiding principles than around value-laden ideas like good/evil? What if it were around conquest or trade or exploration? I think even the most evil societies don't see themselves as evil, and framing the divisions that way detracts from the universe-building, a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
You do raise a valid question Brendan and I will respond to you in the way I responded to myself in the midst of a designing process.

Forget about "Evil, Neutral or Good" as words that define your actions, replace them in any way you wish.

For instance imagine it being a HARSH, CASUAL and MILD approach instead of Evil, Neutral, Good but again you face the same problem.

In the end you end up naming them in some way. Why? Because decisions I am talking about can be drastic in contrast. You can decide to wipe off the entire race from the planet, or decide not to intervene on some event taking place.

And objectively speaking from the point of the Human race as we know it today one of those can be seen as Evil.

And that brings me to the final gathering thought regarding to what you asked. I asked myself the following two questions.

1) Do people wish to forge their own image of themselves and are they able to do it within The Andromeda Project?
The answer to that one was a definitive yes, throughout the designing process I wanted to make sure that you do things as you see fit and justify them yourself, as also not set you in STONE, but at the same time give you a clear path to walk on, so that your path is not blurry, but clear.

2) Do people wish to and do I, as a designer, wish to enable the role playing effect of being able to represent a galactic EVIL guy, or Galactic Guardian and some one?
And the answer to that was yes. Through Market Analysis I came to a simple deduction that people wish to be defined in such a way.

So yes it was something I was thinking a lot and in the end decided that I wish to not leave it totally open to interpretation, but rather make it more guiding and at the same time using the defined mechanic to add to your role playing experience.

And as far as conquest, trade, exploration... Well all of the Races no matter their morality will have a completely open path to validly pursue any of those, but sure because of morality will have a slightly different approach towards it. Key word in this case being SLIGHTLY.

In any case thank you for your input and I apologize for a bit longer response, I wanted to respond as in depth as possible.

In the end it will be interesting to see how players react to it during the play testing phase, because in the end, maybe you are completely right and this becomes something which needs to change. Or maybe not, will keep you posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
As promised here I am again with chapter 4. Let's jump right into it...

CHAPTER 4 - Andromeda GALAXY (The Map)

This is currently one of the most debated parts of the game. The reason for that is that we currently have a fixed BOARD, with the entire Galaxy at display, but at the same time, we are still thinking about an option of HEXAGON tiles, which we can use.

I will not be talking about those issues and debates in this chapter though.

Today I will be talking about we currently have and how it is intended to work.

We have a game set up for 3-6 players. So the board itself is set up to support 3,4,5 or 6 players games and my intention was also to do it as fair and symmetrical as possible without sacrificing the feeling of natural random space.

One of the big questions was also: "Will the static map be a reason for mini-maxing and lower replay value?"
Because this was the last thing I wished for.

I wanted to answer to that with a definite NO and so far, at least in the pretesting phase I am happy with how it came to be.

But enough about general talk, let's state cold facts:

Andromeda's MAP comes with:

- 2 trade sectors (Western and Eastern Trade sector=
- 2 Trade Node planets
- 6 possible Home World planets
- 28 SYSTEM SECTORS
- 12 type 1 first encounter planets
- 58 type 2 first encounter planets
- 5 special planet tiles

Together forming 83 "planets" (or rather "planet tiles")

Between the planet tiles there are mostly hyper lane tiles with two special wormhole connections.

Planet tiles are fixed on map in point of position, but they are not fixed in terms of...What kind of planet you expect to find when you reach the tile itself.
But to prevent from getting some kind of "nasty first encounter right from the bat.

Hyper lanes are like pathways between planet. But in order to prevent choke-points, there are ways to avoid them.

This will be it for now and today, take it as a small sneak peak into the BOARD itself.

Next time in chapter 5, we will talk about The Races of Andromeda Galaxy.

Till then, I do wish all of you who are maybe reading this, a nice remainder of your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
So far we have talked about mechanics and what not, but this time we are going to take a close look or rather sneak peak at one of the main Role Playing elements of The Andromeda Project and that is the Races of the board game.

CHAPTER 5 - RACES

For now we will not reveal the names of the Races and we will also leave one of the races completely in the dark, just so we can tease a bit more. But no worries you will still learn some interesting bits.

There are currently 6 RACES in The Andromeda Project and we will present them with nicknames for now, to let you know more about them

1) The Zappers
2) The Illusionists
3) The Assimilators
4) The Changers
5) The Hive Mind
6) UNKNOWN

One of the goals of The Andromeda Project, about which have already spoken about, was to make sure that when you make a certain decision you feel the weight of it and that you truly do feel different then the other players a unique race.

And naturally the most defining element for sure in all of that are races themselves. Lets talk a bit about them and give small sneak peaks into what they are, how they work.

1) The Zappers
The Zappers are a race which will adapt to circumstances on the battlefield will try to use their specifics for attack as for defense. In terms of battlefield capabilities, they are definitely a well balanced race. Meaning they can attack as defend quite well.
In terms of their play through they are probably the most logistically capable race, as they can build huge portal gates through which they can travel long distances...

2) The Illusionists
Often called also the Hologram race for their ability to use holograms on wide scales. You will feel as fighting ghosts and you will quickly realize that that sometimes you just don't see it and it was always there

3) The Assimilators
There is no denying it, this is just a race which draws strong inspirations from dozen of literature or media titles, games and what not. From the Replicators of SG1 to the Nekro Virus of Twilight Imperium.
They are a mix of many things and I believe their nickname tells a lot, and makes you get that chilly feeling just thinking about it...

4) The Changers
This is the race with many nicknames. From the upgraders, creators, designers...
The list goes on. Easiest to put it, would be, they come and they improve they make it suit their needs and then they manipulate it to extremes...

5)The Hive Mind
And this is probably the easiest to guess just from the name. They come and they come in swarms, connected by a strange link which makes them act as one...

I hope you had at least half as much fun as I did writing this chapter, cause if you did, then you certainly had a blast.

Next time we will look into Trade in The Andromeda Project. But till then like always, stay tuned for more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
As we are slowly making our way through December The Andromeda project is not resting one bit. We are closing in on our first prototype ready for testing and although the testing itself was pushed back for one week on 22. of December I must say it was with ease I made this decision knowing fully well that this will just make for a better first experience as last details and polish on the prototypes are made.

Well meanwhile we will however continue with our "story" and so here is the new chapter for today.

CHAPTER 6 - TRADE

I wanted to make sure that in The Andromeda Project Trade is a well thought feature. It was something which I saw as a huge minus in a space opera such as Twilight Imperium III edition and many other great space games.
I didn't want to make trade a tedious business also. I wanted it to become one of vital things in the game and I think I can say that I am proud at how all of this has turned out to be.

In The Andromeda Project Trade will definitely be a strong feature which will influence the player in many areas of the game.

1) ONE OF THE 4 POSSIBLE VICTORY paths

Like already mentioned there is a path of a Merchant one can take to win the game. But don't think for a second that this means, that all you will be doing is trading goods and counting your space credits.
No it just means a player can focus heavily on the trade aspect of the game and come out as a winner. You will still need to fend for yourself and you will still need to be present in the political as technological arena, discarding any of those 3 completely will most likely mean that your path of a Merchant will be very sad and short-lived.

2)SPECIAL RESOURCES

In Andromeda, we will have 6 special resources, each will give you a nice bonus/feature and will definitely become something which will be sought by races.
You will have the ability to trade with the resources you own, naming your own demands in return for access.

3)TRADE FLEETS

Players will have an option to, on their turn, build Trade Fleets. Trade fleets. They will ensure your power over the trade in sectors, or more specifically will help you get control over them...

4)TRADE SECTORS

There are two trade sectors in the Andromeda. East Trade Sector and West Trade sector. Control of the sector is important. The one who controls the Trade Sector immediately gets access to all the special resources within it.

5) TRADE NODES PLANETS

Finally there are the 2 Trade Nodes, the two planets, where major trading routes are going through. Therefore they become a strategic point of interest, especially for players seeking Victory through the path of a Merchant, as controlling the Node will yield you extra Trade Victory points and therefor can be a deciding factor giving you the so desired rule over the galaxy.

I hope this sneak peak has given you a general idea about how the TRADE aspect of Andromeda is going to look like and I hope you are ready to "SPICE" things up in the quest for a galactic supremacy. The Andromeda Market...ummm I mean galaxy is vast and full of wonders.

Till next time and chapter 7 when we will be looking a bit into Technology in Andromeda this is me saying goodbye and stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin N.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your whole concept looks interesting. But before going further, maybe you should start to build up the mechanics that will translate those concept. Speaking of a FULL CAPS PROJECT, using "we", creating a facebook page, and doing chapter trailers may look pompous if you don't have the thing working yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galatolol 1
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea but, as said above, first you need to think of actual mechanincs and TEST it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all thank you for the reply.

Actually except for the actual first offical play test play through we are testing things as we go through and the concept do have 90 + pages of Word documents already defining the mechanics, game play as well as the content within the mechanics themselves.

Next to that there is a bunch of artwork already done in its first prototype shape.

So Andromeda Project has naturally not in the final stages before launch yet, but it is also far from being just a concept. We are past that page already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:
First of all thank you for the reply.

Actually except for the actual first offical play test play through we are testing things as we go through and the concept do have 90 + pages of Word documents already defining the mechanics, game play as well as the content within the mechanics themselves.

Next to that there is a bunch of artwork already done in its first prototype shape.

So Andromeda Project has naturally not in the final stages before launch yet, but it is also far from being just a concept. We are past that page already.

I think the point they were making is that once you get things into prototype, even index cards and slips of paper, you'll find that a lot of the "theorycrafting" you've done creates messy holes that need fixing. If you've got 90 pages of materials and lore but have only played your game once so far, you need to get to playin'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
With that I agree completely and in the end is what we are doing right now.

Naturally we will play test Andromeda a lot. Meanwhile we are doing that however, I just intended to post these chapters and give you sneak peaks as we go and one of the reasons they are sneak peaks are not just to intrigue but also because we realize fully that some things may change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's that pre-Christmas time of the year and all around us it's that joyful spirit.
I personally think that this is ideal time to talk about our today's topic or chapter.
Today in The Andromeda Project we shall speak about Technology

CHAPTER 7 - TECHNOLOGY

It is a given, or a must, that a game like this involves the Technological advancement and has it as a separate mechanic of the game.

No different here. Yet I wanted to approach the entire ordeal a bit differently and give it a nice spin off shine while also trying to tackle some of the problems that I saw with previous games.

So before talking about Technology itself, let us talk about what Andromeda Project wished to avoid looking back at other games of the genre.

1) Hard to keep track Tech Tree
- In Andromeda Project I didn't want to just add a bunch of Tech you could research and then keep the tech cards in front of you and try to at every point of the game keep track of it.
I wanted to make sure players could keep track of it in a more simple manner

2)Lots of tech with +1 bonuses
I also wanted to avoid a bunch of tech which would just stack bonuses on top of each other. Which partially applies to point 1 where it becomes harder to keep track of it.

There were naturally other things but those two I felt was something I really wanted to tackle and avoid doing as much as possible.

Now of to the more interesting and fun part. How is Technology in The Andromeda Project Handled.

Well First of all Technologies in Andromeda Project are separated in 4 different branches. 2 MAJOR one and 2 MINOR one.

The 2 MAJOR BRANCHES are:
War TECH
General TECH

The 2 MINOR BRANCHES are:
Racial TECH
Morality TECH

The first one is I think more straight forward. It's a general separation of Tech into two areas, one focusing in improving MILITARY STRENGTH, second are the GENERAL improvements which will cover everything else. But it does not mean that GENERAL TECH will not add to the MILITARY STRENGTH or vice versa so like always a blurry and not set in stone distinction.
As for the Minor Branches. Racial techs are tech specific to each race while Morality tech is a special tech you can get access to based on what Morality you are part of. (So Evil, Neutral, Good)

VICTORY - PATH OF TECHNOLOGY

Pursuing wisdom and Technology is certainly one of the ways to obtain victory and win in The Andromeda project. But like with other victory type does not mean you can totally neglect other aspects of the game.

HIDDEN TECHNOLOGIES - researching Technologies

When you research a technology in Andromeda project, that does not mean every one knows what you have researched, no in fact this technology can remain hidden until the time that you USE it's POWERS. But since knowing what other players have in store for you is always useful and sometimes vital, in Andromeda you also have an option to send you agents to uncover the secrets of your opponents Tech or meddle with them in other ways...

But that is all a new story and for a new pre-Christmas chapter in The Andromeda project, when we will be talking about ESPIONAGE and Hidden Agents missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
This will be our last chapter of year 2016 about The Andromeda Project and we will try to be not to secretive about it, even though today's topic will cover the ESPIONAGE part of Andromeda

CHAPTER 8 - ESPIONAGE

Yes, espionage is a feature and more then just a cherry on top of a nice looking cake.
To be less discrete:

In The Andromeda Project you will be able to spy on your opponents, perform sabotage missions and in general will no be just relying on brute force in warfare.

To be more specific. Covert Operations can be of 2 type.
- ESPIONAGE
- SABOTAGE

Each covert mission will cost you some resources and each covert mission can have 2 possible results:
- Failure
- Success

Like mentioned, covert won't be just a fun addition to the overall game play but a feature which can be deadly if used correctly or if not prepared against it.
It will spread through all areas of the game, from Military, to Trade, Science and Politics.

In the end it will be your choice how you play and how you approach the entire COVERT part of the game, but know fully, that neglecting it completely and not protecting against it, may cost you more then you think.

This will be all for year 2016, but soon after New Year's Eve we shall be back with CHAPTER 9 where we will take a look at POLITICS in The Andromeda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I apologize for a bit of a delay on this one, since well just before New Year's I learnt I will become a dad and then moved places and some big things at work. But still Andromeda was just postponed for a little bit.

Andromeda will therefor go through its first official playtest in April, meanwhile I can show you some of the progress and sneak peaks.

So for today I will leave you with the following intentionally a bit blurry photos

Some SNEAK PEAKS:

Andromeda where a DISCOVERY is just a BEGINNING...

Morality in Andromeda: Which path will you take...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Like already mentioned in the LAST chapter back in 2016 CHAPTER 9 will present to you the POLITICAL SYSTEM of ANDROMEDA.
And as explained in the previous post, I again apologize for this delay, life got in the way of things a bit, but no worries, we will jump right back on track and without ado here is the promised CHAPTER 9!

CHAPTER 9 - POLITICS

Politics in Andromeda is as said an extremely important aspect of the game. In fact I wanted it to be so important that I included it into one of the 4 possible TYPE of victories. (POLITICAL VICTORY)

To understand just how POLITICS works in Andromeda, we need to first take a look at POLITICAL INFLUENCE. It is treated as a RESOURCE in Andromeda. Every time you colonize or Overtake a planet, you get to see how much of POLITICAL INFLUENCE (if any) that planet will provide you with. The bigger your Political Influence, the bigger your Empire can get, bigger your stability and the bigger influence you will have when Intergalactic Council meets.

An example of Political Influence on Planets:

If your political influence is too low your expansion and stability can suffer.

But where your political Influence really shines is when every 5 years (or 5 turns, take it as you wish) Intergalactic Council of the Andromeda Galaxy meets.

All players send their representatives and important matters of the Galaxy are discussed.

INTERGALACTIC COUNCIL MEETING consists out of 3 MAIN phases:

1) Voting on Intergalactic President
2) Voting on Intergalactic Vice President
3) Voting on LAWS

For each phase players will gather their POLITICAL INFLUENCE in the form of Political Tokens and bid on respective matters. The way it is done is in my opinion intriguing and really pits players into wondering what they should do and what player or LAW they should support, because the decision really does matter.

In the end Politics can further on be investigated and used when it comes to chosing your FOCUSes. There is a total 6 of those and one of them is a POLITICAL FOCUS which will further on send you on a path of becoming Politically very influential race and give you an option if you so wish, to really dive deep into that Political aspect of game and play the chess mastermind of the galaxy...

That will be that for today. I hope you enjoyed reading this half as much as I am enjoying writing about it and making sure this game becomes a reality!

Next time on Andromeda Project in CHAPTER 10 we will be discussing FOCUSES in Andromeda and how each player will have an additional option to choose their gamestyle/gameplay and we will see that in Andromeda, players really have a myriad of ways to play and win!

Till next time I bid you all a kind farewell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Since we were talking about Politics today, I thought before bed time, here in Central Europe I give you a sneak peak of the LAW CARDS. Only proper I believe:

Good night Milky Way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
A quick update before the next chapter. Andromeda's 1st big playtesting is scheduled in 2 weeks. Must say I am really looking forward to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Today in Andromeda we are going to take a look at the game mechanic in Andromeda called The FOCUS!

CHAPTER 10 - FOCUS

Initially the point of FOCUS mechanic was, together with the game mechanic called the QUESTS, which we are yet to talk about, to make sure game is not too dull. So that a player always has something to do and turns dont feel too similar and what not.

However in the end The FOCUS mechanic ended up becoming mostly something else. It now actually has 2 more significant meanings in Andromeda.

1. It gives a player a further option to specialize in a certain field / game style, or to balance him or to balance his position

2. To offer even more ways to obtain your goals, your victory and to just give that additional X factor to the entire thing, so that there are just so many factors and ways to go on about winning and playing this game that not only it makes it all more fun, but also extensively hard to, with certainty, only rely on one strategy or FOCUS on one path towards the ultimate goal

I have just now told you a lot of stuff but at the same time didn't quite tell you much did I? So what are FOCUSES?

There are a grand total of 6 of them:

1. TRADE FOCUS
2. PRODUCTION FOCUS
3. TECHNOLOGY FOCUS
4. POLITICS FOCUS
5. ESPIONAGE FOCUS
6. TREASURE FOCUS

The way it works is, that every player in turn order will be able to every few turns pick a card from one of the 6 card piles each representing it's respective focus. By doing so you will be able to strengthen that area of the game as naturally cards will provide bonuses, events, abilities, actions... you will be able to do, which again will in general help you in each of the respective 6 areas

TRADE FOCUS = TRADE
PRODUCTION FOCUS = MILITARY
TECHNOLOGY FOCUS = TECHNOLOGY
POLITICS FOCUS = POLITICAL INFLUENCE
ESPIONAGE FOCUS = COVERT
TREASURE FOCUS = VICTORY POINTS

Among each of the 6 FOCUSES there are also the so called SPECIAL FOCUSES, you can achieve in each category, which will give you access to a special project or a huge boost in that field in general!

In the end you will be the one deciding how you wish to approach this and how you wish to play your game of Andromeda, which has always been my goal.

That will be all for today, later I will post a sneak peak picture of the FOCUS CARDS and for next time in CHAPTER 11 we shall talk about QUESTS mechanic in Andromeda.

See you soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
6 FOCUSES of Andromeda Project. What will you FOCUS on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here we are today on 20.4.2017 just 9 days before the
Andromeda playtest which will happen in this place:
https://www.facebook.com/dobrapoteza/

Tables are reserved , 5 players playing are chosen as are races they will be playing with. I am currently caught up in making sure I get everything ready for that day, but for now and for this moment we are not going to talk about that, we are going to talk about a game mechanic in Andromeda we call MORALITY QUESTS.

CHAPTER 11 - MORALITY QUESTS

Morality Quests in andromeda are basically your small side quests you can acomplish durring the game, which will help you on your path towards the final victory as they all offer VICTORY POINTS for their completion. Some of them are easier, others are a bit harder and the amount of VICTORY POINTS they offer reflects that.

There are in total 3 TYPEs of MORALITY QUESTS DECKS:

1) EVIL MORALITY QUESTS
2) NEUTRAL MORALITY QUESTS
3) GOOD MORALITY QUESTS

You will be drawing from the Morality Quests pile in total of 4 times per game and you will only be able to DRAW from it, after your Race's Morality has been decided or with other words after the first three colonizations / furst encounters happen.
So if your race is a race of EVILDOERS, you will each time be drawing from the EVIL MORALITY QUESTS pile of cards and you can expect your QUESTS will be a bit more nasty looking and agressive in nature compared to the other two piles.

The purpose of these piles is to give you additional goals to that one big one you already have, keep the game interesting, dynamic, to trigger more interactions and in the end to further on touch upon the MORALITY mechanic and fleshen it out even further.

So that would be all for today, hope you guys enjoyed and next time in Andromeda in chapter 12, we are going to take a closer look on how BATTLES in ANDROMEDA LOOK like.

Till then I wish you all a nice remainder of the day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
In preparation for first official playtesting on 29. of April here is a preview of PLAYER BOARDS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just one week till the official 1. playtesting of Andromeda we are going to today look at one of the most important things about a grand strategy games and that is... it's battles. Like almost all Grand Strategy games Andromeda also has battles and they are one of the most important aspects of this game where Races are fighting for control of the Galaxy. No matter if you are pursuing TRADE, TECHNOLOGICAL or POLITICAL victory path instead of WAR one, doing battles and fighting other players for the board is probably something you will have a tough time avoiding.
So today in CHAPTER 12 let us see how BATTLES in Andromeda are being played out.

CHAPTER 12 - BATTLES

A Battle in ANDROMEDA takes place if a Player is attacking or is attacked by a FLEET or is OVERTAKING a planet or defending it.

The entire BATTLE takes place in a special board called the BATTLEFIELD.
It consists out of two halves where both players will place their units and a SCREEN will be placed in between the both halves to prevent each of the players to see the placement of opponents units before the actual battle start.
Players can place their units on one of the 3 parts of the BATTLEFIELD

Left Flank
Center
Right Flank

The placement is important because of an OUTFLANKING game mechanic which offers additional bonuses while attacking to SHIPS which are not contested by other ships on the other side of the Battlefield. This BONUS is called the OUTFLANKING BONUS

A Battle consists out of BATTLE ROUND and the FIGHT will only finish when one of the two things will happen

1) A PLAYER will COMPLETELY DESTROY THE OTHER PLAYER
2) One of the players will FLEE the battlefield

The BATTLE ROUND itself consists of BATTLE SEQUENCES where players will

- USE THEIR SPECIAL ABILITIES
- POSITION SHIELDS
- ENTER IN LONG RANGE PHASE
- ACTIVATE SHIELDS
- RESOLVE LONG RANGE HITS
- AGAIN POSITION ITS SHIELD
- ENTER IN SHORT RANGE BATTLE
- ACTIVATE REMAINING SHIELDS
- RESOLVE SHORT RANGE HITS
- REPEAT THE PROCESS

After the BATTLE players will then have to immedately repair their damaged ships if any and lose them if unable.

In "short" this is how BATTLE in ANDROMEDA looks like, but trust me when I say it is a lot more FUN in actual play than just reading it here. When different races with different tactics and abilities meet it truely is an interesting AFFAIR.

And after all all RACES were designed so that they would offer something unique and special in BATTLES themselves.

- TERRAFORMERS mostly use the environment they reshape and get special back up from any surrounding planets in their possession
- ZAPPERS will switch FLANKS durring the course of the BATTLE
- ASSIMILATORS will take your own ships and turn them against you
- HIVE MIND will use their MIND LINK ability
and
- HOLOGRAMERS will send HOLOGRAPHIC PROJECTIONS of their space ships so you will be busy chasing ghosts while the real deal sneeks in behind for a leathal kill

Well thats the idea anyway. We will see it in action soon enough

Next time on ANDROMEDA in Chapter 13 it will be a bit different chapter and let it stay as a surprise till than.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Hi there, i've been following your post for quite some time and I must say your game is sounding more and more interesting each time. I wanted to ask something though about the way the battles are resolved. How long does it normally take for one fight to be resolved (As is one side to totally annihilate the other)?
and what is done in the case that multiple players are engaging in combat the same turn?
Will there be a large quantity of ships involved in combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.