4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Ascension what??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Meleti
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hey guys, just wondering if I can some recommendation on what Ascension games should I buy?

Now as cool as the idea of being a collector and owning all 10 sets of the game, I know that at the end of the day they don't all combined well together, reviews seem to indicate some are best played without even being combined, some should only be combined with certain sets.

Almost each set seems to be a different mechanic variant of the first base, rather than say FFG games, where every new release is an expansion.

I currently only own Year One Collector's edition, and just wondering are any of the expansion worth owning? seeing as they would be considered a separate variant of the same game (as they don't combine well)

PS: with the no. of games out there to play, the occurrence of playing each game is quite low, let alone choosing which version of Ascension to play if I were to own of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I own the app, and would never buy the physical game now.

I can use all expansions at the same time, and the software shuffles the 1,000+ cards without issue.

Unless you specifically want a physical copy, I would recommend that you go with the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite after numerous plays and research is still the first set.

My personal recommendation would be to stick with those and research an additional Deck a building game that you fancy.

There are numerous popular options that you will likely enjoy if you enjoy Ascension.

No particular order (and themes you enjoy should take preference)

Hogwarts Battle
Eminent Domain
Legendary - Marvel, Villains, Firefly or Encounters
Resident Evil
Star Realms

Just a few that I've played and enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly got Ascension for the unusual art and I really like deckbuilders, but we rarely play it. As mentioned before, the shuffling does get a little annoying and the app / Steam version is much more convenient. Hero Realms, Eminent Domain or Mystic Vale are our go-to deckbuilders if we want something competitive, Legendary Encounters: Alien & The Big Book of Madness if we want something co-operative. Legendary Encounters is great solo as well!

But, to answer your Ascension question:

I own physical copies of Ascension: Storm of Souls, Ascension: Rise of Vigil & Ascension: Darkness Unleashed and play with around 2/3 of the cards of each set. Not just because shuffling get super awful, but also because the game is not very well balanced and my mix felt quite good to me so far. I quite like the new "Energy Shard" resource introduced by Rise of Vigil / Darkness Unleashed - but I think you need both sets or else the balance is meh. I like Storm of Soul's event cards, tho they don't really add much to the game, still, I found SoS a good, not overly unbalanced addition to the RoV&DU mix. I'm super happy with those 3 and would only consider getting Ascension: Dreamscape as a complete standalone for its pretty art - I don't think it would mix too well with the other 3 I own tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.