Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Another question, this time concerning the Tropical Waterworld. The rule book says:

"While this card is present, the continent Landform remains inactive (the result of plate tectonics shutting down), all Earth events skip over the continents row and go to the next Refugia deck higher..."

But in D3, there is an "Easily Missed Rule" note that says:

"Refugia only emerge if their row is active"

So, does Tropical Waterworld cause the appearance of Refugia in potentially inactive rows? Or does it cause the earth effects to occur in the next ACTIVE row higher? If the former, then the Easily Missed Rule is probably a little misleading.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally read the rules as Tropical Waterworld not overriding D3's mandate that new Refugia can only only appear in an active row. D3's description of how to apply an Earth event clearly states that you only apply the Effects to an active row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that your reading makes sense. My only apprehension is that the TWW section could easily have said "active" if that were the case. The fact that it's missing makes me consider that it is an exception. It's not already been addressed in the Living Rules, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This simply means that if you have an Earth event (instead of a heaven event), which normally causes a refugia to appear in an active landform you must skip the continent landform. The landform you do draw a refugia from must be active though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halogen64 wrote:
This simply means that if you have an Earth event (instead of a heaven event), which normally causes a refugia to appear in an active landform you must skip the continent landform. The landform you do draw a refugia from must be active though.

Hi,

With all due respect, how do you know that from reading the rule? It literally says "skip over the continents Landform, and go to the next Refugia deck higher." No mention of needing to be Active. If TWW causes a change to the normal Earth Refugia rules (i.e. taking from the lowest), is it not reasonable to assume that it could also change the Active requirement? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't see any evidence to prove you are right.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't see how this can be interpreted any other way from the rules.

The earth event states "draw the top Refugia placard from under the Landform card from the lowermost active Refugia deck with cards remaining"

Tropical Waterworld just tells you to have the continent landform be inactive, hereby causing earth events to skip over it (which they would anyway if continents were inactive from the event card anyway)

How is that ambiguous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Well, it could have just ended at "While this card is present, the continent Landform is inactive". That would have covered everything, as the Earth effects cover the "at Active Landforms only" caveat. The fact that it continues to clarify just made me wonder. Extra information is not necessary, unless it helps to explain an exception, and the lack of mentioning that you move to the next Active Landform made me suspect it overrode the normal process. That's all. But maybe it doesn't override anything.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that in D3 it states repeatedly in caps that landforms need to be active to provide refugia is clear enough I'd say.

If Tropical Waterworld created an exception to this, I'd expect it to be very clearly spelled out, and as it isn't, I assume such an exception doesn't exist.

Edit: It'd be a pretty huge rule to miss out, and while Eklund rulesets are often difficult to parse they don't usually have this kind of hole in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Living Rules (D1), I have added the word "active" to make this clearer:
"While this card is present, the continent Landform remains inactive (the result of plate tectonics has shutting down), all +earth events (D3) skip over the continents row and go to the next active Refugia deck higher..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.