$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Rattle, Battle, Grab the Loot» Forums » General

Subject: Amazing game, deserves far higher regard! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got a chance to play this game via it's current rock-bottom price on Amazon, and I'm blown away at how great it is! After watching the video runthrough on Portal's website I had no trouble understanding the rules, and explained the rules to 2 new players in about 10 minutes. Each game lasted about 60 minutes with 3 players. The prevailing complaints about the game, that it's too complicated and long, don't seem to hold water in our experience. Further, while plenty random, there's also plenty of depth to mitigate it somewhat. In fact, I loved it so much I busted out the dragon sleeves!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Finally got a chance to play this game via it's current rock-bottom price on Amazon, and I'm blown away at how great it is! After watching the video runthrough on Portal's website I had no trouble understanding the rules, and explained the rules to 2 new players in about 10 minutes. Each game lasted about 60 minutes with 3 players. The prevailing complaints about the game, that it's too complicated and long, don't seem to hold water in our experience. Further, while plenty random, there's also plenty of depth to mitigate it somewhat. In fact, I loved it so much I busted out the dragon sleeves!



I too have found the complaints to be unfounded as well, but to each their own. It CAN be too long, sure, but not if you have played once before. It can be too complicated, when I taught it to someone who had never really played board games, but I too feel the game is amazing!

Be sure to pick up the small mission expansion that uses those cool ocean tiles!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjpeach2004 wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:
Finally got a chance to play this game via it's current rock-bottom price on Amazon, and I'm blown away at how great it is! After watching the video runthrough on Portal's website I had no trouble understanding the rules, and explained the rules to 2 new players in about 10 minutes. Each game lasted about 60 minutes with 3 players. The prevailing complaints about the game, that it's too complicated and long, don't seem to hold water in our experience. Further, while plenty random, there's also plenty of depth to mitigate it somewhat. In fact, I loved it so much I busted out the dragon sleeves!



I too have found the complaints to be unfounded as well, but to each their own. It CAN be too long, sure, but not if you have played once before. It can be too complicated, when I taught it to someone who had never really played board games, but I too feel the game is amazing!

Be sure to pick up the small mission expansion that uses those cool ocean tiles!


I wouldn't want to game with someone that honestly couldn't understand this game with a person that knows the game well doing a decent job explaining it. I'm snagging the expansion now, spread the word and hopefully we'll get more expansions!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Anderson
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
cjpeach2004 wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:
Finally got a chance to play this game via it's current rock-bottom price on Amazon, and I'm blown away at how great it is! After watching the video runthrough on Portal's website I had no trouble understanding the rules, and explained the rules to 2 new players in about 10 minutes. Each game lasted about 60 minutes with 3 players. The prevailing complaints about the game, that it's too complicated and long, don't seem to hold water in our experience. Further, while plenty random, there's also plenty of depth to mitigate it somewhat. In fact, I loved it so much I busted out the dragon sleeves!



I too have found the complaints to be unfounded as well, but to each their own. It CAN be too long, sure, but not if you have played once before. It can be too complicated, when I taught it to someone who had never really played board games, but I too feel the game is amazing!

Be sure to pick up the small mission expansion that uses those cool ocean tiles!


I wouldn't want to game with someone that honestly couldn't understand this game with a person that knows the game well doing a decent job explaining it. I'm snagging the expansion now, spread the word and hopefully we'll get more expansions!


Are you both talking about the Angry Ocean expansion?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
davethevenerable wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:
cjpeach2004 wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:
Finally got a chance to play this game via it's current rock-bottom price on Amazon, and I'm blown away at how great it is! After watching the video runthrough on Portal's website I had no trouble understanding the rules, and explained the rules to 2 new players in about 10 minutes. Each game lasted about 60 minutes with 3 players. The prevailing complaints about the game, that it's too complicated and long, don't seem to hold water in our experience. Further, while plenty random, there's also plenty of depth to mitigate it somewhat. In fact, I loved it so much I busted out the dragon sleeves!



I too have found the complaints to be unfounded as well, but to each their own. It CAN be too long, sure, but not if you have played once before. It can be too complicated, when I taught it to someone who had never really played board games, but I too feel the game is amazing!

Be sure to pick up the small mission expansion that uses those cool ocean tiles!


I wouldn't want to game with someone that honestly couldn't understand this game with a person that knows the game well doing a decent job explaining it. I'm snagging the expansion now, spread the word and hopefully we'll get more expansions!


Are you both talking about the Angry Ocean expansion?


Yes. It's good. very fun!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest help on this game is to have one person that knows the game really well and basically have them moderate the game and keep it moving. If you have a good driver, you get through the rounds without it dragging a bit.

I absolutely love this game. Always have a blast playing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very good very unique game, but its hybrid design is too random for eurogamers and not "serious" enough theme/story wise for ameeithrashers. Thus, ot effectively narrows its target audience to people who enjoy the best of both worlds. That group, unfortunately, is still relatively small.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
It's very good very unique game, but its hybrid design is too random for eurogamers and not "serious" enough theme/story wise for ameeithrashers. Thus, ot effectively narrows its target audience to people who enjoy the best of both worlds. That group, unfortunately, is still relatively small.


Good games are good games, nobody should be married to a type.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an ideal world, maybe. But there are "good" movies and books and yet certain people are never experiencing them. Most people prefer to stay within their comfort zone, in time this transforms to "things they enjoy/like".

Look at the comments and ratings. Some people expected easy, joyful, family, almost-party game. These people find rules too complex for them (the rules are relatively easy and clear, but it's just that these people aren't accustomed to that kind of ruleset). Some people expected resource management and clever tactics, thus are disappointed with the unbearable (for them) randomness. For some the game lasts too long. Too long usually means "I haven't played enough during that time", which is often a complaint from eurogamer type. And so on and so on.

6.5 is very harsh for such great gem. Ultimately (I think) it goes back to people thinking "dice = random", without observing how easy you can influence that perceived "randomness". Or maybe it was the artwork that was hinting too much of this being "kid's game". I know that a lot of people cannot stand Mice and Mystics, because they think the game is infantile and the story is "for kids". Boy, if they only knew.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I join in on the chorus? My wife and I definitely enjoy it. I picked up the expansion but haven't tried it yet. The only time our game felt too long was when we had 4 people, 3 of which had never played before, and it was only my 2nd time, but that is to be expected of every game when people play it the first time.

I don't even care if I win or lose, I just love building up a wacky pirate ship and getting crazy crew members. If you play it a lot, then I highly recommend the Broken Token organizer. I can now set the game up in about 30 seconds to a minute.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some sort of an epiphany, when a Portal guy presented the game to us at Essen, and after the first adventure, and explaining some basic rules, he reached for the "fun deck", drew a card, and said that we will now try to hit one dice with the other, throwing them into the box. I must have had this weird look in my eyes back then.

At that point, I've realized how far I've strayed from having that sheer, pure "fun", while playing complicated "big rulebooks, scary minis, busy boards" board games. Not that they're bad, but this game reminded me, why I've started doing this in the first place.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.