Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone provide insight -

Is the production quality on GWT as poor as Terraforming Mars or is the quality here more on par with the cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's on par with Terraforming Mars. GWT components are more cardboard than card, unlike Terraforming Mars. But cards are not the greatest quality (no linen, dark colored card edges that are easy to nick). They are pretty much identical to TM. I was hoping for some nice linen as in other Stronghold releases like Core Worlds, Kanban and Fog Of War.

Player boards are also similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wavedog's description is accurate, but I think GWT feels better for a few reasons. The player bits in GWT are painted wood and good quality. They feel better than the shiny but imperfect resource cubes in TM.

IMO, the cards in GWT are standard quality. Ours are holding up just fine after several plays. Since there is some deck building, many people will sleeve the cards anyway. Linen cards would have been great, but these cards do fine. The artwork on them is really lovely.

The player boards are the same in both games. But in TM, the same cubes are used for all resources, so a bumped board can be a real pain to reset. In GWT it is pretty easy to remember what discs were removed, so resetting a board is no big deal.

I think the cardboard building tiles in GWT are thicker than the hex tiles in TM.

In summary, GWT components do not detract from the game for me; the components in TM are a little bit subpar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GWT material is decent quality, with the notable exception of the player tableaus, which are well printed, but due to the thin material feel inferior to the rest - they should have used thicker cardboard.

Maybe somebody has glued the player tableaus on cardboard or some such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been happy with all the components other than the cards. They needed to be sleeved after one play (sweaty handed players angry ) whereas something like Dominion has been fine through 20+ plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. How is the box quality? That was my biggest disappointment with Terraforming Mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggie wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. How is the box quality? That was my biggest disappointment with Terraforming Mars.

Firstly, I agree entirely with Phil's comments above. The components seem perfectly adequate for GWT. The wooden pieces are nice, and the flimsy player boards aren't as much an issue in this game for the reason Phil outlined. Also, I sleeved my cards before the first play.

The box quality seems to be the same between the two. My GWT insert wasn't completely crushed like the one I got with Terraforming Mars. It seems to be sturdier and can at least be used to store the board above the bits. The Terraforming Mars insert went straight to the garbage bin. I really couldn't care less about the inserts though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buhr
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the pegasus spiele version has better cards? Linen cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirdspaced wrote:

The cards in that version are not linen either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I wrong in my understanding that when a game is puddles he'd in this way that the only difference is generally the logos printed on them? Don't they all come from the same factory and the same print run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirdspaced wrote:

I have the Pegasus Spiele version. The cards aren't great. I recommend sleeving if you're averse to sticky cards (as I am).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.