Subject: What's your pick? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Poll
2-player, you're second. Your opponent took Engineering Genius. What's your pick?
Library + Alexander
Library + Rich Land
Alexander + Rich Land
Aristotle
Other
      154 answers
Poll created by jaafit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gélinas
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would either pick Hanging Gardens or Aristotle.

In both cases, it forces my opponent to take Pyramids for 2 CAs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Aristotle. Missing out on an Age A wonder is not a big deal, especially if we are talking about the Hanging Gardens. It would force my opponent to take Pyramids for 2 CAs and I can just spend much later 1 CA on, say, the Great Wall.

For what is worth, in the older game I would go for the Hanging Gardens instead, so as to get Caesar from the draft. If my opponent spends 2 CAs on the Pyramids and 2 CAs and 2 CAs on Caesar, let it be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximnicov wrote:
I think I would either pick Hanging Gardens or Aristotle.

In both cases, it forces my opponent to take Pyramids for 2 CAs.

The only time they're getting it for 1 CA is if you make the rather odd pick of Rich Land + Rich Land - but you're right to highlight this, as figuring out how to not give them Pyramids for cheap was the first thing I thought about.

It's also worth noting that if you don't take Hanging Gardens or Library, you're missing out on an age A wonder, as Gardens will fall off next turn and Colossus is terrible. This is fine if an age I wonder turns up early, but I think not getting a wonder until late age I does usually put you a bit behind, so it's something of a gamble.

Library + Rich Land would probably be my pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aristotle
Well the other way they get Pyramids for 1CA is if you picked Alexander and Library. They'd see Pyramids for 2 CA their next turn, but pass on it since they know you can't take it with your Library under construction. Then they get it round 3 for 1 CA.

My vote was Aristotle. Not because I think it puts me in the best absolute position, but because it puts me in the best position relative to his. Any other pick gives him both Aristotle and Pyramids which is much better than any of my non-Aristotle options. By picking Aristotle, I'm losing out on the Library, but getting the best leader while taking that away from my opponent. To put numbers on it, (card rankings), I choose between Library+Hammurabi=8 vs Aristotle+Pyramids=15 (I'm down 7pts) or Aristotle=8 vs Pyramids+Homer=11. (I'm down 3 pts). And you have to give me a few points for saving resources for an Age I wonder.

I'm not a fan of Hanging Gardens, so that's why I didn't make that an option for this poll. I wish I had though, as I would have liked to show everyone's preferences better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Getting a leader is crucial so you're gunning alexander or aristotle here. A late moses is not very attractive and caesar stinks.

You have 2 options basically here, take Aristotle or take 2 cards of library/alexander/rich land.

If you take two cards, like alexander + rich land, then your opponent will go mine + aristotle + pyramids. Not a great relative position. Even more your 1 CA row will be frugality, colossus, caesar, moses and a random age A card, of which only the urban building card is really nice, so you're looking at a play of alexander+mine+growth+frugality and not really a great setup. If you get urban building yellow you can take that instead of frugality and then turn 2 go, cash in alexander for token (unless you drew attack + warrior tactic) philosophy + growth + 4th mine/3rd farm + something. This is quite a strong opening as you basically cash in alexander for an extra farm or mine right away while keeping the same yellow token count as your opponent, it only works on turn 2 though if you get 2 extra resources of which you only have 1 garanteed with rich land, if urban growth card was available for sure i'd go for this.

Alas that's not the case and two 1 CA cards seems weak, especially as you don't look to get a great action for your remaining CA next turn.

So I would just take Aristotle. Your opponent goes pyramids + mine + growth next turn probably if homer is in sight, otherwise may need to go pyramids + mine + frugality and moses or even a late hammurabi. Either way not ideal for him and you won't have a wonder but aristotle is the best leader to sit on then as you can go a more tech heavy route, especially sitting second as you oftne have a decent tech available at the third turn to grab.

Hanging gardens I don't consider an option by the way, rather skip my age A wonder, especially sitting second and having Aristotle, then going gardens. Gardens isn't that great in the new version.

Other options like rich land + library are just worse than alexander and rich land I think. Skipping an age A wonder in 2p is not a big deal if you dont have eng genius, early universitas or great wall/st peter are both fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markwerf wrote:
Alas that's not the case and two 1 CA cards seems weak, especially as you don't look to get a great action for your remaining CA next turn.

You're right if you take Alex + Rich Land, but this is part of why Library + Rich Land is more attractive. It gives you a very solid turn 2 of Take Moses, Play Moses, Grow pop, Build mine (w/ Rich Land).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I would take Hanging Gardens. It's not even close.

This would allow me to take either Aristotle or Moses for 1 civil on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaurav Savadi
msg tools
I would go for Alexander + Rich Land. That gives them Aristotle, sure, but it does mean they have to take Pyramids for 2 CAs,or not have them at all.

If they pass, you can still get Pyramids for 1 CA.

Rich Land allows a cheap mine, and plus Alexander is great for an early aggression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Křišťan
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I like Alex+Library the most
He could go pop+rich land+frugality, hoping for later Homer or something, then his turn2 would be finish pyramids+draft cards for 1, which doesn't seem like a particularly strong opening.

His best play is probably Aristotle+Pyramids+Rich land. His 2nd turn would probably be finish pyramids, play Aristotle, increase pop. He's overall slightly better off, but if we hit any good early A1 leader we should be just fine.

If we do take Aristotle, he can just take Mids, pop, build mine. While that makes his start a bit weaker, it makes our start a lot weaker; and if he manages to hit Homer or Hammurabi, we're relatively way worse off than taking Alex+Library.

Rich land+X only denies him the pop+rich land+frugality play, which isn't the best play anyway, so that's not sensible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.