$30.00
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I wanted to make a few things clear about cards like these:

First, if they're played by the opponent (e.g., if the Soviet player plays U-2 photographs), then the action is optional (e.g., the US player need not take the action from U-2 photographs)?

Second, do you have to do the maximum amount of cubes (there is no "up to" on U-2 photographs and National Liberation, and for Suez-Hungary, does the player have to keep going until they meet one of the three stated conditions)?

Third, do U-2 photographs and National Liberation only let you add cubes, or can you remove as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The opponent chooses to execute his event (or not) before the active player executes the command influence action.

Your other question is answered in the official FAQ thread (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1541492/official-faqerr...) and in other threads of this forum.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
The opponent chooses to execute his event (or not) before the active player executes the command influence action.

Your other question is answered in the official FAQ thread (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1541492/official-faqerr...) and in other threads of this forum.

Michael

Thanks - I read the FAQ (forgot it answered my last question) but I'm still unclear on the second question. The FAQ talks about Up To cards, but these don't say up to. Does that affect anything? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skjold Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
"Up to" also applies here.
The cards have the key word Command, and the standard rule for Command is to either place or remove cubes up to the specified value.
Hope that answers your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
Japan
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
megalomane wrote:
"Up to" also applies here.
The cards have the key word Command, and the standard rule for Command is to either place or remove cubes up to the specified value.
Hope that answers your question.

Isn't there an exception for when the card says "Command X Influence cubes ON TO"? The FAQ in the forum says:

megalomane wrote:
U-2 Photograps & National Liberation
Q: Card says "command 3 cubes on to a battleground". Are you allowed to use the event to remove cubes?
A: No. You may only place Influence cubes when playing the event.

But that raises the question, (assuming the FAQ is correct), why don't cards like National Liberation, and U-2 Photographs just say "Place up to X Influence cubes..." such as cards like Defensive Missiles. If "Command ... ON TO..." means only place cubes, what is the point of using the key word "Command" which means place or remove cubes in every other situation?

EDIT: I think I just figured out why "Command" was used, so the event could still be the target of cards like To The Brink ("Play on opponent. All their Command actions have -1 Influence cube for this round".) At first I thought To The Brink doesn't affect events, but this thread confirms they do..

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

(We had our first two plays last night, and are very much enjoying the game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skjold Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
gnbenson wrote:
EDIT: I think I just figured out why "Command" was used, so the event could still be the target of cards like To The Brink ("Play on opponent. All their Command actions have -1 Influence cube for this round".) At first I thought To The Brink doesn't affect events, but this thread confirms they do..

Exactly this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.