Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Theorycrafting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since it'll be quite some time before we'll actually have the game in our hands, I thought it might be fun to engage in an (admittedly rather academic) exercise in theorycrafting theorydrafting. Even though the actual gameplay will differ substantially, simply because we'll have the opportunity to prevent our opponents from going for their "dream army" by interrupting their obvious synergies during the interactive drafting, I still think that it's entertaining to pit such hypothetical "dream armies" against each other. Also, it might be interesting to showcase some of the not-so-obvious synergies between all these different characers. Long story short, the basic challenge is:

What army composition would you use to counter the army in the post before yours?

Rules:
- Build a 12 point standard army (adjusted if applicable as per chosen god/titan) that can beat the army posted before.
- Use any units except those already contained in the army you're going up against.
- Please write a brief description as to why you think that your forces are superior to the army of your opponent.

To get this going, I'll start with a couple of examples:

ARMY 1
Hecate (goddess)
Hector (3)
Icarus (1)
Theumessian fox (3)
Caucasian eagle (2)
Hoplites (1)
Harpies (1)
Stymphalian birds (1)

Strategy: Hecate, Hector, and the Hoplites take a stand together. Hector's Wall of Troy (troops present) prevents ground units from entering this space, and Hecate's Black Moon reduces the range of enemy units by one. Thus, standard attacks need at least 2 range to even be allowed to attack them. With Hecate in (relative) safety, the remaining units scoop the battlefield for Omphalos, which is why they're chosen by qualities like movement speed and defensive abilities (Wings of Daedalus, Uncatchable asf.).

Now, what army would I use to counter this?

ARMY 2
Typhon (titan, total RP-4)
Bellerophon (5)
Sisyphos (2)
Marsyas (1)

Strategy: Kill Hecate. Marsyas Challenges Hecate to disrupt the defensive positioning and to lure her into the fangs of Typhon and Bellerophon (who are both unimpressed by the Walls of Troy). Sisyphos is chosen simply for his high strategy value, which should allow unleashing Typhon's Tempest ability once Hecate is in range. When the tornados are in place, the opponent will have a hard time to even get the collected Omphalos back to Hecate before Typhon and Bellerophon have beat her to a pulp.

So, for another try, what army might work against these powerhouses?

ARMY 3
Helios (god)
Pandora (2)
Paris (2)
Orpheus (2)
Graeae (1)
Ketos (5)

Strategy: Mill the opponent's deck. The Revealing Light of Helios as well as the Judgment of Paris enable us to "stack the deck" against the enemy, not least to prevent activation of Typhon's Tempest ability. In the meantime, Pandora's Evils of Mankind, the Graeae's Guardian of the Gorgons, and both special talents of Orpheus force discards, ideally preventing activation of Typhon and Bellerophon in favor of Sisyphos and Marsyas. Once Helios reveals that the opponent is out of Art of War cards, Ketos strikes and subsequently devours the enemy's heroes.

... so, what would you bring to the field to wreck Army 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the first army is that you are committing three units sticking to each other. Meanwhile, the opponent can avoid them and rush right around them to gather all the Omphalos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
The problem with the first army is that you are committing three units sticking to each other. Meanwhile, the opponent can avoid them and rush right around them to gather all the Omphalos.

You're right, all of these armies have obvious weaknesses that can be exploited. That was kind of the point I was trying to make with my examples. Admittedly, I exploited the same weakness a bit differently in example army 2, namely by breaking up the three units that rely on each other for their defensive powers.

Your strategy may well be another way to skin the cat. However, I think the remaining units in army 1 all pretty well-suited for the task of collecting Omphalos, and even if the overall task is somewhat slowed by Hecate being stationary, that's at least partly offset by the fact that her being stationary means that she can dedicate more cards to the act of actually absorbing them (whereas a god who hunts Omphalos himself has to also spend cards to run around). What army composition would you choose to outrun Icarus, the Theumessian fox, the Caucasian eagle, the Harpies and Stymphian birds for the Omphalos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Caibre wrote:

You're right, all of these armies have obvious weaknesses that can be exploited. That was kind of the point I was trying to make with my examples. Admittedly, I exploited the same weakness a bit differently in example army 2, namely by breaking up the three units that rely on each other for their defensive powers.

Your strategy may well be another way to skin the cat. However, I think the remaining units in army 1 all pretty well-suited for the task of collecting Omphalos, and even if the overall task is somewhat slowed by Hecate being stationary, that's at least partly offset by the fact that her being stationary means that she can dedicate more cards to the act of actually absorbing them (whereas a god who hunts Omphalos himself has to also spend cards to run around). What army composition would you choose to outrun Icarus, the Theumessian fox, the Caucasian eagle, the Harpies and Stymphian birds for the Omphalos?

I'd rather not try to catch the fox. Just kill it with ranged dps. Remember only troops can come back, and losing a hero or monster hurts a lot, as it makes your activation cards dead.

I think the inclusion of draft makes it so that you can't run a perfect synergy. You are likely to get counterdrafted, and I think you should build upon it from there: Can you counter the counter?

In the omphalos collectors case, the opponent will use range to kill your mobile units and wait until the end to kill your god when it no longer has support. Suppose you pick half your draft and then the opponent picks your counter. How will you proceed with the rest?

That said, we can keep doing some mental exercises:

Army 4: "I don't care if you discard me"
Athena
Odysseus (not for the illegal 4th activation, but for an extra AoW)
Many Troops so you won't get milled fast.

Army 5: "Kill the weaklings (AoE)"
Poseidon/Ares
Hydra/Achilles
Minotaur/Cerberus

In this format, the most productive goal would be to find the most OP premade synergies.

I think the exercise would be more productive if we just drafted by forum. One person selects a god, and then subsequent people choose the gods/troops as in a real game draft. Once the draft ends, a new begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I think it might be best to not focus too much on one strategy.

It might be key to find a good mixture of units that still complement each other well and may cover for each other's weaknesses instead of going for brutal force, harassing the enemy deck, going for the omphalos rush or such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.