Hide
5 Posts

1846: The Race for the Midwest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions after first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris DeGuide
msg tools
Hey everyone, got a chance to play my first full game of 1846 over the weekend and had an absolute blast. An ill-conceived plan by me to sell some of my underperforming B&O stock in order to purchase some fantastic Illinois Central stock caused my loss, but me and my group had a fantastic time regardless.

We had some questions regarding rules that checking the Geek and re-reading the rulebook didn't solve right away, so we went with what seemed to make sense, but I wanted to get actual clarifications before our next game.

1. For the Steamboat Company, I want to make sure I was utilizing it correctly: Early in the game, before I purchased it with a corporation, I chose to assign the marker to my own corporation to allow the B&O to make profitable runs in Wheeling while it was still yellow. Later, I could have purchased the Steamboat Company with a corporation, which would've allowed me to move the marker to another port (or place it if I hadn't done so already) and give that new corporation the benefit of the token.

2.This one seems really simple and yet I could not find an answer for the life of me: Do icons on tiles carry over? For example, upgrading Wheeling to a green tile, does it still contain its port icons? That's how we played it because otherwise Wheeling seems like a trap.

3. Does track extend and connect fully through a city? For the cities that have an X pattern, can you make a 90 degree turn on a route?

4. Upgraded Chicago confused us, especially tile 300: can you leave from one city in Chicago through the bottom of the tile, and then later head from the city in a different direction, "switching" through a different city?

5. The exact mechanics behind routes still feel unclear to us. Visiting a location is any area that makes you money, like a city or an off board location? So with a 4 train you hit 4 cities/off-boards regardless of distance between them? You can touch the same city as many times as you want in a turn, as long as 1 train doesn't hit it more than once, and you never enter it using the same length of track? Finally, you can start from anywhere you want, and end anywhere you want, as long as at some point during the route you tag one of your own tokens?

Thanks a ton in advance for the assistance, none of these diminished our enjoyment of the game in any way, and we're still talking about it days later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm referring to the GMT rulebook below.
spiritseekerpsp wrote:
1. For the Steamboat Company, I want to make sure I was utilizing it correctly: Early in the game, before I purchased it with a corporation, I chose to assign the marker to my own corporation to allow the B&O to make profitable runs in Wheeling while it was still yellow. Later, I could have purchased the Steamboat Company with a corporation, which would've allowed me to move the marker to another port (or place it if I hadn't done so already) and give that new corporation the benefit of the token.
That's correct. You're giving up some flexibility, but you're putting some money in your pocket and giving the company some revenue each OR.

spiritseekerpsp wrote:
2.This one seems really simple and yet I could not find an answer for the life of me: Do icons on tiles carry over? For example, upgrading Wheeling to a green tile, does it still contain its port icons? That's how we played it because otherwise Wheeling seems like a trap.
Yes. The icons are a player aid. The important part is the text on the card.

spiritseekerpsp wrote:
3. Does track extend and connect fully through a city? For the cities that have an X pattern, can you make a 90 degree turn on a route?
Yes, in general you can turn as much or as little as you like except for backtrakcing (also the "no revisting rule" 6.62 page 8). So, you can make a 60° or 120° turns in either direction without problem".

spiritseekerpsp wrote:
4. Upgraded Chicago confused us, especially tile 300: can you leave from one city in Chicago through the bottom of the tile, and then later head from the city in a different direction, "switching" through a different city?
With a single train, this is forbidden by rule 6.63 (Page 8). If you're running multiple trains, they may each use a different Chicago city "branch".

spiritseekerpsp wrote:
5. The exact mechanics behind routes still feel unclear to us. Visiting a location is any area that makes you money, like a city or an off board location?
Yes
spiritseekerpsp wrote:
So with a 4 train you hit 4 cities/off-boards regardless of distance between them?
Yes
spiritseekerpsp wrote:
You can touch the same city as many times as you want in a turn, as long as 1 train doesn't hit it more than once, and you never enter it using the same length of track?
Correct. Track can't be reused by the same company, but may be used by different companies.
spiritseekerpsp wrote:
Finally, you can start from anywhere you want, and end anywhere you want, as long as at some point during the route you tag one of your own tokens?
Generally, yes. Note that you can not have both the start and end in E off-board locations, even if they're different off-board locations (rule 6.62)

Hope that helps.

(Edited to clarify Chicago some more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
spiritseekerpsp wrote:

Huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lamaros wrote:
spiritseekerpsp wrote:

Huh?

Not your grandfathers privates. Oh no. Read page 12 of the GMT rules carefully.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris DeGuide
msg tools
Thanks a ton for the answers, Nikolas! Good to know we got most of them right, except for the Chicago one, which makes a lot more sense now that I'm thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.