Hide
5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Slofkosky
msg tools
Despite playing this game so many times, there's still some things that confuse me

When are reinforcements discarded? Looking at the rulebook and the reinforcement cards themselves, nothing ever even says to discard reinforcements at all. In particular, can Wild Reserve be used to essentially negate or double a reinforcement used in a battle?

Speaking of Wild Reserve, it applies to only one reinforcement and not all reinforcements played during the encounter right?

Pickpocket's power says it can be used "once per encounter", and the timing strip at the bottom has all phases highlighted, even the start turn phase. But I thought the start turn phase wasn't part of an encounter?

Am I right in assuming that in a negotiate vs. attack encounter the player who played a negotiate doesn't have a total of 0 (plus any ships), but rather has no total whatsoever? This would be important for the purposes of effects that compare totals such as Wild Arcade.

If an effect changes a card into a different card, the new card is the one that's considered to have been "revealed" right? For example, would Ethic collect compensation after losing to a negotiate changed into an attack 08 by Wild Joker (as Ethic says it applies after both main players "reveal" attack cards)? If not, would that mean that for example, a negotiate turned into an attack 08 by Wild Joker could not be turned back into a negotiate by Empath?

Finally, the one I'm most surprised I never questioned... for the purposes of effects such as Remora and Glutton, is drawing, say, two cards because of rewards considered one instance of drawing two cards, or two instances of drawing one card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinforcements are discarded at the same time the encounter cards are discarded.

Wild Reserve doesn't negate or double anything. At Resolution when encounter cards and reinforcements are discarded he grabs one of the discarded reinforcements.

Start Turn happens only when it's a new person's first encounter. If they win that encounter the second encounter begins at Regroup. Normal a person's "turn" consists of 1-2 encounters.

Negotiate means no total, he/she just loses.

For Negotiate vs. Wild Joker, the flare uses the word "revealed" so I understand it to consider that revealed negotiate to now be considered as being revealed as the Attack 08, and Empath COULD change it back, if he played a negotiate himself.

One instance of drawing cards, number is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Officially, by the rules as written, Start Turn is not considered part of any encounter. However, having a phase that isn't part of any encounter breaks all sorts of things with a once-per-encounter restriction; in particular, any flare usable during Start Turn could be used infinitely many times during a single Start Turn phase. The game mechanics only really make sense if Start Turn is considered part of the player's first encounter for the turn, so we all just sort of pretend the rules say to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Slofkosky
msg tools
I never considered that about flares used during start turn phase. I guess that makes a lot of sense.

Another question, though maybe this would be better asked to the designer... the duplicity kicker says that allied ships that leave the hyperspace gate go to the warp. Does this mean that defensive allies can't be affected by this, since defensive allies go near the targeted planet rather than on the hyperspace gate? If so, that seems like kind of an arbitrary limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Officially, by the rules as written, Start Turn is not considered part of any encounter. However, having a phase that isn't part of any encounter breaks all sorts of things with a once-per-encounter restriction; in particular, any flare usable during Start Turn could be used infinitely many times during a single Start Turn phase. The game mechanics only really make sense if Start Turn is considered part of the player's first encounter for the turn, so we all just sort of pretend the rules say to do that.

Agreed.

Structurally, I think of Start Turn kind of like a Pixar short that precedes the feature film. For the Birds was not technically "part of" Monsters, Inc., and yet it was part of the moviegoing experience. So it both is, and is not, part of that film depending upon one's perspective. "At the start of the movie" means after Birds is over and Monsters is beginning. But if your mom says you can have a popcorn "once during the movie," that doesn't mean you can have a second one after the short is over.

sceb wrote:
maybe this would be better asked to the designer... the duplicity kicker says that allied ships that leave the hyperspace gate go to the warp. Does this mean that defensive allies can't be affected by this, since defensive allies go near the targeted planet rather than on the hyperspace gate?

IIRC, I was the designer on that one. This is a frustrating topic for me, but here's the story.

For decades, defensive allies went onto the oval or pointy end of the hyperspace cone/gate. FFG changed that — but they did not revise all the game texts accordingly. (Skeptic and Super Oracle are a couple of good examples.)

Ideally, we would write longer (though uglier) phrases that work either way, such as "involved ships of the offense and all allies" or "all ships in the encounter except those of the defense" or somesuch patchy crap. Unfortunately, space is really at a premium on a kicker template, so I had to take the shorter historical approach.

I live with it based on the rationale that we are basically already forced to conclude that "in the gate" has to include defensive allies, because otherwise things like Skeptic's "all ships in the hyperspace gate return to their other colonies" would be leaky.

If I ever someday have the opportunity to consult with whoever becomes the next publisher of Cosmic Encounter, you can be sure that rescinding this confusing change would be on my top 10 list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.