Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas Wish List rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Macady Smith
msg tools
After quite awhile of posting on here, watching youtube boardgame videos, and reading reviews I have compiled a list of board games to get this Christmas. I already have Resistance and Sheriff of Nottingham and I love them. I am ready to jump into the gaming world and drag my friends and family with me (who are not nearly as into it as I am). Please check out my list and comment if you think I should add some or get rid of some.

1. Pandemic
2. Mumchkin
3. Takenoko
4. Coup (perhaps Masacarade or both)
5. Stone Age
6. King of Tokyo
7. Catan
8. Bang! The Dice Game (will most likely buy Old Saloon with it)
9. Tsuro of the Seas

So that is my list of board games that I know I want for sure. My family already have alot of party games so that is why you see barely any on my list. I have been looking into alot of other games Lords of Waterdeep, Shadows Over Camelot, 7 Wonders, etc. But Im still not sure if I like the them and nechanics of some of them. Any other games you think I should get that are your "essential" board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd see what games my friends and family like before buying a big tranche. There is every possibility they don't like a lot of those.

Buy one, try it, adjust and repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing how much your family and friends like gaming or complexity to their games, I would not get Tsuro of the Seas. I would personally go for Tsuro instead. The new mechanics break the flow of the original game and can be off putting for non gamers, plus they add a little complexity that non gamers find ..... Pointless (well, that's how it was put to me!).

Tsuro itself is easy and fun, but over in 15 minutes. Have you considered Ticket to Ride at all? A great game that everyone can enjoy. Again, try the base game first (the only must have addition is the 1910 add on...love the larger cards) and then add new maps as you need. Playing ticket to ride is how my wife got into gaming....it is a great gateway game.

Good luck and have fun
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Munchkin Adventure Time or Munchkin Marvel, as both of them have the convenient icons for equipment and much better art than the standard Munchkin versions (though, I guess that depends on personal taste).

Maybe Dominion would be worth a try as well, as it's probably the best gateway deck builder, easy to teach and fun. Good one to drag the family deeper into the boardgame world with you. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need Takenoko AND Stone Age. No, they are not the same game at all, but they sort of fill the same niche. Perhaps after you have played one of them for a while, then get the other. FWIW, I found Stone Age to have more staying power.

Tsuro is too simple and too short to be interesting. And it's far too short to be worth the money.

As above, you really should consider Ticket to Ride. It is arguably the best game out there that bridges the gap between gamers and non gamers.

Be very careful about pushing too many games too fast on people that aren't as interested in games as you are. You could easily find yourself relegated to solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On top of what the others have mentioned, consider what type of games your family and friends like.

Munchkin is a very polarising game - some love it while others absolutely hate it.
If you think they'll like the humour, the wacky chaotic card play and the screw-you-ness of the game then it might just be the perfect fit. If they dislike games that potentially go on forever, dislike the art and the humour and generally aren't into too chaotic games, then you might need to reconsider.

I have seen cases where Munchkin scare of potential new board games - but also cases where the game has lured people into the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (AFK/Away)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Less may be more. Always buy games that will get played.

My big call for you with your group in mind:
Dixit (Party game for 4-6)
Codenames

Great Gateway(ish) games:
++1 Pandemic
+1 Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride: Europe
+1 Stone Age (Can be difficult to find - heaviest here)
+1 Catan (It remains a great accessible game, IMO)

Probably good picks for your group:
Coup
BANG! The Dice Game (or similar)
King of Tokyo

Are you sure?
Takenoko (It's cute but requires a particular type of group) - my alternative suggestion Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Munchkin (I can't stand it... group particular)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
I actually do have Ticket to Ride but my family has had it for so long I forgot to mention it. I really want Takenoko to play with my younger cousins and Im looking for a game similar to Ticket to ride but with a few different aspects. And No I am not getting all these games at once. I should have said "These are the games Im plainning on getting throughout the coming year." Thanks for the suggestions! Please keep suggesting more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
pfctsqr wrote:
I don't think you need Takenoko AND Stone Age. No, they are not the same game at all, but they sort of fill the same niche. Perhaps after you have played one of them for a while, then get the other. FWIW, I found Stone Age to have more staying power.

Tsuro is too simple and too short to be interesting. And it's far too short to be worth the money.

As above, you really should consider Ticket to Ride. It is arguably the best game out there that bridges the gap between gamers and non gamers.

Be very careful about pushing too many games too fast on people that aren't as interested in games as you are. You could easily find yourself relegated to solo games.

I answered majority of your concerns in my other comment but had a few more questions for you. I have been looking for a worker placement game and I picked Stone Age to fill the gap. You can see why I picked Takenoko above. Do you recommend a different worker placement game?

Im also going to look into Tsuro of the Seas again. Do you reccomend any other tile placing games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, most Days of Wonder games are good and aimed at the whole family. Small world is fun and expands to 5-6 players. Cargo Noir is another polarising game, however, I like it a lot!

Tile placement games, you can consider Carcassone. Lots of expansions, simple to pick up (can be hard to understand scoring at times though) and plays quickly. With a lot of expansions, it can stay fresh.

I'll see what else I can dig out of memory soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Check out Indigo as an alternative to Tsuro. It doesn't play nearly as many people as Tsuro, but the trade off is better game play.

As far as other games to consider adding to your list, check out Tokaido, Karuba, Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City, and World's Fair 1893.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RHelms wrote:
On top of what the others have mentioned, consider what type of games your family and friends like.

Munchkin is a very polarising game - some love it while others absolutely hate it.
If you think they'll like the humour, the wacky chaotic card play and the screw-you-ness of the game then it might just be the perfect fit. If they dislike games that potentially go on forever, dislike the art and the humour and generally aren't into too chaotic games, then you might need to reconsider.

I have seen cases where Munchkin scare of potential new board games - but also cases where the game has lured people into the hobby.

I'm another one who is not a fan of Munchkin. I think there are a lot of other games out there that you could start with before you take the chance on this one . . . but that's just personal opinion.

+1 for Codenames. It's good with a group that includes non-gamers.
+1 for Carcassonne as a tile placement game.
+1 for Dominion. It's just plain good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.