United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
Like everyone else I've been really excited about Gloomhaven.

I had a solid play group of 4 people that would want to play through the whole thing. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago one of my friends decided to take a break from weekly game nights and I've been scrambling to find a 4th person for this since.

But then it hit me - do I need a 4th? Sonto those of you that have played it, is it just as fun with 3 people? The friend that dropped out also quit our Pandemic Legacy game halfway through. We played Pandemic again tonight and had more fun with 3 players only.

Should I try to find a 4th (I have a few other friends who might be interested) or just go with 3? My main concern is Balance and of course the hope that unlocking new content is not slowed down or lessened in anyway because we don't have a 4th player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard to say. You must simply try. It highly depends on who you are playing with. The game may be good or bad, but it is the people who does the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rickenbacker1978
I think Gloomhaven will be equally good with any player count between two and four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This ia an unqualified answer because i did not play it yet.

But it seems to me that Gloomhaven is especially designed to scale equally good for two to four players. As far as I can see it, the speed and quality and quantity of unlockables does not depend on player count.
Maybe Isaac will drop in and give you an answer to this aswell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No experience playing this, but did do extended researchers on it and been following this ever since the kickstarter started, and I'm pretty confident that this will give a great experience at every playercount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is great at Scaling fo Player Counts and difficulty.

Another great thing is that Players easily can drop in and out, so no problem if in one game night there are only 3 Players, the next time 4 and the naxt time 2 and so on.

(I played 7 Scenarios so far)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played a lot of the Pnp. Solo, with 2 and with 3. All were highly enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played the print and play a bunch with three and it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuDreams wrote:
I've played the print and play a bunch with three and it works well.
A good way to try the different player counts are the digital demos of Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the demo in Essen with three. With the right hero combo it is equally fun. We took Cragheart, Engineer + Scoundrel and even though we lost horribly because we forgot to ask for the mission goal, we had a very fun time. A friend of mine even preordered after, so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Berget
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Thanks for all the responses everyone. Not sure if we'll drop in a new player but we'll definitely have a solid 3 players.

My main concern was the unlocking of content, but if that's not affected then we should be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
solidd wrote:
Nice! Thanks for all the responses everyone. Not sure if we'll drop in a new player but we'll definitely have a solid 3 players.

My main concern was the unlocking of content, but if that's not affected then we should be ok.

Content seems to be unlocked in a couple of ways:

Unlocked by plot progression - unaffected by player count
Sidequests and item are unlocked/looted from dungeons - unaffected by player count
From events/unlocks in the manual - a small effect - e.g one things is unlocked by donting 100gold to the temple. Thi is obvious easier with 4 players but I doubt it is significantly
Unlocked by completing your life goal - this one will be obviously effected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrianna O'Shea
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I played the first scenario on tabletop simulator with 3 and had a great time. I think when I actually get the game it will mostly be 2 of us playing, so I think we'll each play 2 characters and if anyone wants to join for a few games they can take over one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.