Subject: Dummy Players in solo mode. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When one plays in solo mode and wants to add some tension blocking end points and adding fee's dummy stewards could be added.

They are dumb but hey they will add to the solo experience anyway.

Use a D6 :
1 move N
2 move NE
3 move SE

Whenever the steward is making an illegal move (ending on occupied tile or going offgrid) one could :
Jump to closest market or reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should you roll 3 times for the dummy steward in one half-year?

Also, I think he should be able to end up on an occupied place. If he can't, you always have one 'safe' place and I don't think that's fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to post this as I haven't tried it yet, but here's a (hopefully) simple solo variant without relying on a die. With this variant you'll have to consider not only what tile you move to, but the direction you approach it from.

After your third move, place a dummy steward one space further in the direction of your last move. Eg, if you move north with your 3rd move, place the dummy one space further north. Once all three dummies are on the board, move whichever one is closest to the destination space (your choice in case of a tie).

Dummies cannot be placed off the board (for obvious reasons) and they cannot be placed on markets (because that's too easy). If the destination space is invalid, place the dummy one space away from the destination (your choice) but still next to your steward. If that's still invalid, place the dummy two spaces away from the destination (your choice) but still next to your steward (which should always be valid given the placement rules, I think). Thus, the dummy steward will always end up on a non-market space adjacent to your steward.

Caveats:
- The dummy stewards never need to pay the fee if they move through you.
- If you have multiple stewards, place the dummy based off whichever steward you moved last.
- It is perfectly allowed to have multiple dummy stewards on the same space.
- Distance is measured in the usual way, with markets being adjacent to every tile they touch.
- The dummy is never placed on to your steward, only next to it.

If this turns out to be too difficult, reduce the number of dummies or place the dummies two spaces forward in the direction of your last move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
golden_cow2 wrote:
I didn't want to post this as I haven't tried it yet, but here's a (hopefully) simple solo variant without relying on a die. With this variant you'll have to consider not only what tile you move to, but the direction you approach it from.

After your third move, place a dummy steward one space further in the direction of your last move. Eg, if you move north with your 3rd move, place the dummy one space further north. Once all three dummies are on the board, move whichever one is closest to the destination space (your choice in case of a tie).

Dummies cannot be placed off the board (for obvious reasons) and they cannot be placed on markets (because that's too easy). If the destination space is invalid, place the dummy one space away from the destination (your choice) but still next to your steward. If that's still invalid, place the dummy two spaces away from the destination (your choice) but still next to your steward (which should always be valid given the placement rules, I think).

Caveats:
- The dummy stewards never need to pay the fee if they move through you.
- If you have multiple stewards, place the dummy based off whichever steward you moved last.
- It is perfectly allowed to have multiple dummy stewards on the same space.
- Distance is measured in the usual way, with markets being adjacent to every tile they touch.

If this turns out to be too difficult, reduce the number of dummies or place the dummies two spaces forward in the direction of your last move.

I think this requires clarification. Especially your statement that reads "If the destination space is invalid, place the dummy one space away from the destination (your choice) but still next to your steward." An example might be helpful as well.

Wasn't there supposed to be an official solo variant issued at some point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Should you roll 3 times for the dummy steward in one half-year?

Also, I think he should be able to end up on an occupied place. If he can't, you always have one 'safe' place and I don't think that's fair.

I roll 3 differently coloured dice and resolve them from light to dark.
It does not realy drag the game.

Taking advantage of that 'safe' space would only work if you moved one, returned to where you started (safe place) and then move elsewhere. Since you are visiting 2 adjecent tiles it increases the chance of a blockade if he has to be adjecent too. That is the idea behind him not landing on your ending spot.

Golden_cow2 wrote:

After your third move, place a dummy steward one space further in the direction of your last move. Eg, if you move north with your 3rd move, place the dummy one space further north. Once all three dummies are on the board, move whichever one is closest to the destination space (your choice in case of a tie)

That is interesting. The "hardmode" might be just to much for me. It is like having stalkers in every corner of the map.

Schnell, yes there will be an official variant that also adds objectives. Looking forward to it. But for now it's just about being creative and making the open map and the freedom of moving more restricted as it would get with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
I think this requires clarification. Especially your statement that reads "If the destination space is invalid, place the dummy one space away from the destination (your choice) but still next to your steward." An example might be helpful as well.

Take this image:

Let's say you're blue and you've already made two moves. You make your third move northeast, onto the Hunting Lodge Builder. The destination space is thus the empty space one space further northeast of the Hunting Lodge Builder.

However, the destination space is empty and thus invalid. You attempt to place the dummy one space away from the destination, but all of those spaces are empty too, with the exception of the Hunting Lodge Builder. You cannot place it on the Hunting Lodge Builder, however, because it is not next to your steward (rather, it is on your steward).

You then attempt to place the dummy two spaces away from the destination. The Librarian, Forester's House Builder, Market, and Starting Player spaces are all within two, but the Market is invalid (because it is a Market) and the Librarian and Forester's House Builder are too far away from your Steward. Your only option is to place the dummy on the Starting Player space.

Edit: In this example, I measure distance through empty space when considering the Librarian and Forester's House Builder. In practice, this is not necessary because any tile you have to cross empty space to reach cannot be next to your steward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
golden_cow2 wrote:
schnel wrote:

Take this image:

Let's say you're blue and you've already made two moves. You make your third move northeast, onto the Hunting Lodge Builder. The destination space is thus the empty space one space further northeast of the Hunting Lodge Builder.

However, the destination space is empty and thus invalid. You attempt to place the dummy one space away from the destination, but all of those spaces are empty too, with the exception of the Hunting Lodge Builder. You cannot place it on the Hunting Lodge Builder, however, because it is not next to your steward (rather, it is on your steward).

You then attempt to place the dummy two spaces away from the destination. The Librarian, Forester's House Builder, Market, and Starting Player spaces are all within two, but the Market is invalid (because it is a Market) and the Librarian and Forester's House Builder are too far away from your Steward. Your only option is to place the dummy on the Starting Player space.

Edit: In this example, I measure distance through empty space when considering the Librarian and Forester's House Builder. In practice, this is not necessary because any tile you have to cross empty space to reach cannot be next to your steward.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.