GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,258 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

CO₂» Forums » General

Subject: Can this game be played as co-op? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Woodland
msg tools
Hello all,

I have just read the rules and came up with an idea so I am asking you if it is valid.

"Game is ended if the global pollution is at 500ppm or higher"

Can you play it co-op and try not to reach 500ppm? You won't count individual score, just the win/lose condition.

If the answer is yes I assume you can also play it solo as well controlling 2 or more players, trying not to reach the 500ppm.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game would be kind of trivial if it were a co-op - it's not that hard to avoid the 500ppm level if people are actively trying.

There are already official solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't lost a game due to Excess CO2 yet playing non coop, so I don't see the point of just playing as a coop to keep under 500ppm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see an expansion making this into a coop.
Some thing like City Council: The Disaster Deck did. Events that mess up the game from turn to turn.
But without something like hat, no not playable as a coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play it anti-co-op, you'll likely all lose, especially with five players. It is a semi-co-op game as is. I also think co-op would be dull (as I find all co-ops, because they are just solo games made into multi-player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
If you play it anti-co-op, you'll likely all lose, especially with five players.
What? How could you lose? For a start, nobody has defined a winning condition for a co-op variant and the only losing condition stated is to not reach 500ppm. If you're co-operating, it should be fairly easy to avoid this
Quote:
It is a semi-co-op game as is. I also think co-op would be dull (as I find all co-ops, because they are just solo games made into multi-player).
Riiiight. I'm assuming that this is just hyperbole-based trolling? How exactly do you propose to play Hanabi, Space Cadets, T.I.M.E Stories, Bomb Squad or Mysterium in any meaningful way solo (they don't have 1 as their minimum player count)? Many other co-ops develop much of their appeal through the multi-player nature of the game (Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game for example) and some even have solo play added in an expansion (The Grizzled). So while it's true that (probably) the majority of co-ops can be played solo, the implication that they were designed as solo games, then scaled into multi-player, just holds no credence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbok,

CO₂ already has a challenging solo included in the rule book.

mccrispy, I think WBRP was meaning if you don't play co-op at all that you will likely lose a game especially with 5 players as there are only 2 actions per player per decade and the dirty power plants and CO₂ will ramp up rather quickly. In a 5-player game the players will need to work together to prevent the CO₂ from passing 350 ppm which will cause a disaster in a continent and after the 3rd decade if a lot of coal power plants are placed, 500 ppm can be easily reached. The game was not really meant to have 5 players but the publisher insisted that it be included.

I disagree that co-ops are dull. They have their place in a lot people's collections. I had some thrilling games of Pandemic and Forbidden Desert with family and friends with only a turn or two to spare. My extended family can't really handle my heavier games but their eyes light up when Pandemic is brought to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you play co-op? Absolutely

Is it fun? Absolutely

Are the solo rules fun and/or challenging? No, I want to play the game as intended and not with a false ending. With a little more effort they could have been so much more.

I play 2 players with the Arctic cards and strive to reach end game goals assuming that I reach the end of round 5, which is very challenging to do. The ability to combo between 2 colors is rewarding and has taught me how to expand my play style. I was worried that the game would be the same each play but it has not happened. The plant and card sequence is important and significant to achieve victory.

I realize that this is an old thread but I just now got around to digging into the "solo/cooperative" game. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.