V-Commandos» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two questions: Shooting Range, AND MG42 Nest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike B
Canada
flag msg tools
Quick questions:

1. What is the shooting range of a firearm (excluding sniper)? My understanding is that it's only directly adjacent tiles to the shooter (not blocked by locked doors OR walls). Is that correct OR could you shoot a target two tiles away (not blocked by locked doors or walls)?

2. If a stealthy commando is in a MG42 Nest, and a enemy moves into that tile, the rules state he will automatically occupy it and not move from it as per "protecting a triangular token". In the case of this situation, who gets to occupy it IF the enemy doesn't detect the commando during the stealth check? I assume if the commando fails the stealth check he can choose to remain in the nest.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Whoever gets to the nest first will occupy it, assuming that's what you want your character to do of course, but why wouldn't you because it gives extra cover. although the rules say that commandos get first choice to occupy a nest if it's empty, I think that is moot because it's a no-brainer if they get there first, assuming they are not moving further that turn of course.

A german will occupy an EMPTY nest and then not move. Except special german units (black border) which never protect triangle tokens.

It's called empty nest syndrome.

There are separate rules for Germans and commandos, they do not all apply globally.

Edited for accuracy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thank you DjaliRiot and chadnorth !
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Germans can only shoot on their tile and adjacent tiles. This does not apply to your characters, they are commandos !

To balance this, only Germans get REACTION fire.

Are you 100% sure about this? I played with shooting at adjacent tiles only, for enemy and command alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
philmcd wrote:
Germans can only shoot on their tile and adjacent tiles. This does not apply to your characters, they are commandos !

Are you 100% sure about this? I played with shooting at adjacent tiles only, for enemy and command alike.

Think I got the sniper fixed in my mind Sorry.

Reaction fire is only for Germans though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
flag msg tools
philmcd wrote:
tocoking wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Think I got the sniper fixed in my mind Sorry.

Reaction fire is only for Germans though.

Thanks for the replies so far, but I still have questions on these:

1. So range of any shooting is adjacent tiles only?

2. I understand that the commando gets first choice to occupy the nest AND that Enemy units (not special) will automatically occupy an empty nest (or triangular token). But if a stealthy commando is in a MG42 Nest, and is unseen by the enemy unit (passes stealth check), shouldn't the enemy unit then occupy the MG42 Nest as he'd assume it's empty? They can't both occupy it.

We played that at this point the commando had the choice to either give up the nest and remain stealthy allowing the German to occupy the Nest; OR the commando can become visible (triggering alarm and becoming target) but gain the advantage of the cover of the nest; OR IF the commando is in German uniform, the Enemy unit moves on assuming the MG NEST is guarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're overthinking it it.

If a stealthy commando is in the nest he ain't going nowhere.

Think of it this way. A german enters the tile. He can't see any enemies but hears a sound from the nest. He hangs back. It makes no thematic sense for the commando to abandon his cover, not to mention a particularly lethal weapon.

Of course, if the commando has a +1 action token he may decide to use it to interupt the german turn between their movement and shooting phases and give them a taste of hot lead with the MG42. He will then be visible to any remaining germans in their shooting phase.

Shooting is on same tile (first option for germans) and adjacent tiles if there is line of sight. Sniper overrides this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Talionis
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The commando in the nest quickly put a german helmet on his head and, if his furtivity test is a success, the ennemy thinks it's his friend behind the sand bags
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LexTalionis07 wrote:
The commando in the nest quickly put a german helmet on his head and, if his furtivity test is a success, the ennemy thinks it's his friend behind the sand bags

Maybe the germans hear the click of the MG42 magazine and think...' Do I feel lucky (punk)?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
flag msg tools
Ok, Thanks again, Phil. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thank you DjaliRiot and chadnorth !
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

Shooting is on same tile (first option for germans) and adjacent tiles if there is line of sight. Sniper overrides this though.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Endrizzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys, the rules state clearly that shooting is limited to the same tile or adjacent tile with respect of the shooter (Germans and Commandos alike) but... what about a tile adjacent diagonally? Is that tile considered adjacent or not? For movement purposes the rules say it's not, but for shooting there's (to my understanding) no clear explanation, nor the example schemes depicted in the rules booklet help figuring this out. Any idea?
Many thanks and good gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud de la Touanne
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthogonal only, not diagonal. You are right: we will make it more clear in the next version of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Endrizzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wow, a reply from the lead designer himself let me thank you and your team for this excellent game, it's incredibly enjoyable I will buy both the two expansion packs soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.