Evolution: Climate» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ckimate track rules variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after a couple of plays in really enjoying the game. One thing we have found though is that the climate track doesn't move much and we have only had a couple of events trigger....
We were thinking of house ruling the game so that the climate track moves equal to the amount of symbols rather than the default one.
For example if one card with 3 frost symbols is revealed and one with a sun it would move 2 on the track. I would need to work out if it triggered events on the way or just skips over them.

Anybody tried this or have another variant that died something similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
If a game needs it, I feel forced to create and implement some variants.
mbmbmbmbmb

This will bring a more chaotic experience. If players can't "predict" the climate track movement, one to the left/no movement/one to the right, the game will lose strategic value. 2 events per game is normal, and with more experience players will move the climate more frequently, in order to take advantage of available events and surprise the oponents plans/preparation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This going to be very swingy.
Try something like – if the difference is equal to 3+, move the marker by two zones instead of one

and

If the marker is in the hot/cold half of the board, respectively, systematically add 1 hot/cold icon to the pool every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Climate track rules variant
When they were playtesting the were using a condition to allow double movement of the climate track, but I don't remember exactly what it was but it was something along these lines (Dom will surely chime in and correct me anyway):

If the number of sun symbols was double or more the number of snowflake symbols, move the climate track two space to the hot end.

If the number of snowflake symbols was double or more the number of sun symbols, move the climate track two space to the cool end.

But at that time, the climate track had more spaces on it, so I don't kno what it would do with the current climate track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how many players you had that game. More players seems to move the track less. I've played with five and it was rare that the Climate track moved at all. I imagine with only two or three players that it would be moving more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
If the marker is in the hot/cold half of the board, respectively, systematically add 1 hot/cold icon to the pool every round.

This is the one that my group have been playin' around with. The Climate Marker having two sides with both symbols makes it very easy to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:
beri2 wrote:

This is the one that my group have been playin' around with. The Climate Marker having two sides with both symbols makes it very easy to remember.

During playtesting I propose a similar variant to be applied in 2 player sessions:

- The climate marker begins at the center without any facing.
- The first (and each) time it moves will be oriented to show the correspond climate icon where it goes (sun if goes toward the hot side and viceversa).
- This icon will be open info and added to the icons in the food cards played by the players.

This'll work like a third neutral player in two player games, in order to avoid a very common "static" climate marker, because with only two players is easy to control it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I agree that it probably would be very swingy but I like the midway points you have suggested I will give it a few more plays as it is and then thinking about adding something in.

My first 2 plays have been with 6 and 4 and the 4 did move more than the 6 (which didn't move more than 1 space either way). My next will likely just be with my wife so I will let you know how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite variant is to place a number of icons equal to the difference in the Watering Hole for the next round. So if there are 2 Snowflakes and 5 Suns, then the next round will have an additional 3 Suns added to the total. This way of playing accounts for momentum in the change of climate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So if the next round you have 2 snowflakes and 1 sun, you get a total of 2 ice and 4 suns. Do you, again, add 2 suns to the total of the next next round or count only the printed suns and flakes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play either way. If you carry over icons from previous rounds then it is harder to change the direction of the climate, but not impossible. The end result is that the movement of the climate will be determined by the total sum of all climate icons over the entire game.

If you don't carry over the difference into future rounds then it will be easier to get the climate to change directions. This is the way I would play, but I don't think it is inherently better or worse then the other option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group of 5 recently played the game and found the climate marker moved only 2 spaces in either direction from the temperate central position during the game and never entered the very hot and very cold spaces. Climate changes played very little part in the game.

The suggestion to move 2 spaces if the difference in the quantity of suns/ snowflakes is 3 or more seems to be a potential variant to have climate play a more significant role in the game. I will suggest this variant for our next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your interesting proposals. We thought as well that the influence of the climate chart was almost down to zero. Of course a higher impact will cause more chaos, but I think that's why it is there. Otherwise you could do without it altogether.

Has anybody tried yet to move the climate marker exactly that many spaces as there are icons on the food cards? Like in case there are 5 suns and 3 snowflakes, you move it 5 spaces to the right, then 3 spaces back to the left. Any excess spaces (moving the marker off the chart) should be ignored.
Guess this is similar to some of the other suggestions, might try it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jacobson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lucyfer wrote:

Has anybody tried yet to move the climate marker exactly that many spaces as there are icons on the food cards? Like in case there are 5 suns and 3 snowflakes, you move it 5 spaces to the right, then 3 spaces back to the left. Any excess spaces (moving the marker off the chart) should be ignored.

This sounds like more movement than necessary. Why not just move the climate marker according to the net icons? (ie with 5 suns and 3 snowflakes, the net icons would be 2 suns.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PersistentVariant wrote:
This sounds like more movement than necessary. Why not just move the climate marker according to the net icons? (ie with 5 suns and 3 snowflakes, the net icons would be 2 suns.)

Uf, that could move the marker a lot or even more too! Players don't know wich icons the others play, so in a round could be only one type of icon making the marker jump too much spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PersistentVariant wrote:
lucyfer wrote:

Well, that's exactly my intention - probably I didn't express myself clearly enough, sorry! With this example, the result would be two movements to the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jacobson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chango wrote:
PersistentVariant wrote:

Uf, that could move the marker a lot or even more too! Players don't know wich icons the others play, so in a round could be only one type of icon making the marker jump too much spaces.

I agree. I in no way encourage this variant, I was simply making a point of clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucyfer wrote:
Has anybody tried yet to move the climate marker exactly that many spaces as there are icons on the food cards?

We tried it in the office quite a few times. The game play was too chaotic for us, but we're a group of control freaks so you might think it's perfect. Why don't you try it out and let us know what you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Owen
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Climate track rules variant
We originally misinterpreted the rules to move the climate marker according to the net difference between suns and snowflakes, and found it too chaotic. But like the OP, we were disappointed to move it at most one space per turn. Our house rule is to move it a number of spaces equal to half the difference in icons, rounded up in a two- or three-player game and rounded down in a four-to-six-player game.

But I like the idea of tracking momentum. Perhaps we'll try that next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.