Steve Caires
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I had a question come up during my play through of the last training mission:

1) When placing enemy tokens on tiles with stealthy commandos, the rules state that the stealth check must be done immediately. If failed, the alarm is raised immediately.

2) When placing reinforcements, the rules state to "place a token on each tile" (or similar).

Do the stealth checks happen as each enemy is placed, or after they are all placed? In my game, because I couldn't find a ruling in the rules, I ruled that the checks happen on each tile sequentially (this seemed like the easiest way to handle it without forgetting to do the stealth checks). But because the first check was failed, I tripped the alarm, flipped the other reinforcement tokens to the "alarm" side, and I had 4 additional enemy troops on those two tiles instead of 2!

Alternately, if the alarm is tripped during the reinforcements phase, should you ignore it for the remainder of the reinforcements that phase?

It seems like I might have been playing it wrong; otherwise, you'd always place enemy reinforcements on your tile last, to minimize the chance of an alarm influencing the other unplaced reinforcements. This seems a bit game-y.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All reinforcements arrive simultaneously. The alarm is triggered, if it is, as they all arrive. One does not affect the other.

The alarm will affect the NEXT reinforcement phase(s) unless it is reset by the commandos. Each alarm token can only be reset once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those trucks worth of reinforcements were already on the way before the alarm condition, so yes, the alarm only gives the increase in troops for the next batch of reinforcements if the alarm remains on.

thecaptain wrote:

Do the stealth checks happen as each enemy is placed, or after they are all placed? In my game, because I couldn't find a ruling in the rules, I ruled that the checks happen on each tile sequentially (this seemed like the easiest way to handle it without forgetting to do the stealth checks). But because the first check was failed, I tripped the alarm, flipped the other reinforcement tokens to the "alarm" side, and I had 4 additional enemy troops on those two tiles instead of 2!

Also, just to clarify in case you were playing it wrong, reinforcing while in alarm spawns 2 total new reinforcements from each reinforcement point, not 2 additional (making the spawn become 3 units instead of 2). That's a big difference in the amount of enemy troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also between phases you can use the +1 saved Acton.

So placed in Reinforcement phase , then use action and then enemy movemen which I think is when you would do stealth check.

I have a feeling you can close assault before doing the stealth check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Langer
Germany
Coburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
FIS Franconian Gaming Club
badge
History teacher at work
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:

So placed in Reinforcement phase , then use action and then enemy movemen which I think is when you would do stealth check.

I think you have to do the stealth check, when the reinforcements are placed (i.e. kind of enter the tile). Then, if you stay hidden, you could use a +1 token for close combat, before the enemy moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornicer wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

I think you have to do the stealth check, when the reinforcements are placed (i.e. kind of enter the tile). Then, if you stay hidden, you could use a +1 token for close combat, before the enemy moves.

yep, you can interrupt between phases, but not during.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud de la Touanne
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Cornicer wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

yep, you can interrupt between phases, but not during.

That's correct, thanks again Christian & Phil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thank you DjaliRiot and chadnorth !
mbmb
Starman54 wrote:

Seriously?! I am playing this game for a couple of evenings in a row and every day I discover new twists. While the rulebook is nice, I makes me wonder if it couldn't have been edited better. I seems I (and others) are missing a lot of rules. Even after reading the book a couple of times...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

Seriously?! I am playing this game for a couple of evenings in a row and every day I discover new twists. While the rulebook is nice, I makes me wonder if it couldn't have been edited better. I seems I (and others) are missing a lot of rules. Even after reading the book a couple of times...

+1 actions can be triggered in the same way as 0 AP actions. See the box at the bottom of page 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Talionis
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play the training missions ? They are here to learn you the basics like those rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Caires
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks all! I wish this clarification were added to the rules/faq. This definitely feels like it's in the spirit of the game. A strict reading of "immediately" for stealth checks and alarm activation could suggest that in the rules as written, the tripped alarm could affect the current reinforcement phase, not just future ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.