Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I was wondering how this game played solo ? It has an 8 rating for this, but is just me playing both sides, or there some sort of AI running whichever side I don't play ?

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no solitaire AI system for these games, you simply play both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that playing both sides can still be quite fun, as I do quite often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised, rating this as an 8 in solo playability seems a bit like a stretch I understand the nuance and possibility of playing both sides, but that's hardly "solitaire play", this could be applied to any game then ^^' Alas, this means the game's maybe not for me (it's just that I can't play both sides : I don't root for any side, it's just the unknown of the opponent's mind-process that I will miss). But still... it looks so promising and actually fun. Maybe will the small footprint make it different ? I should try to find it laugh

Anyways, thanks for your answers ! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
I'm a bit surprised, rating this as an 8 in solo playability seems a bit like a stretch

Agreed, but FWIW the tradition seems generally very entrenched in wargame publishing.

At least it's clearly listed as 2 player game. Some companies sleazily call their 2-player games "for 1-2 players" just because you can solo both sides (as with any 2-player game, after all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas E. Gebhardt
Germany
Birkenwerder
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
I'm a bit surprised, rating this as an 8 in solo playability seems a bit like a stretch I understand the nuance and possibility of playing both sides, but that's hardly "solitaire play", this could be applied to any game then ...

Florent,

I would see the whole rating under another light: First the game is not intended to be a solo game, it's for 2 players. So all fancy things like DVG's "Leader"-series has built in are not there.

On the other hand, there are lots of games out there where you have barely no choice to play solitaire ("...this could be applied to any game then ..." as you stated). I'm tightened to play most of my games solitaire, because I do not have any buddy to play F-t-F with. So for me a Rating "8" for solo-playability is a hghly ranked remark that I can master the game without spoiling the ideas of the game itself.

So chess could also be played by one person "playing both sides" - but it's not intended to and - to be honest - it's not possible. whistle

Hope you got my drift/ what I'm intended to say (I'm member of the testing team and have playes lots of games out of this series several times) is: To get the real "solo" feeling I'm using wodden counter sledges or define a vassal module with fog-of-war which helps a lot

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
russ wrote:
Some companies sleazily call their 2-player games "for 1-2 players" just because you can solo both sides (as with any 2-player game, after all).
Companies that do this should be hung in the public square.

The thing with rating a game for "solo play" is that once upon a time there were very few fancy schmancy solo game engines for wargames (minus Ambush!) so playing both sides was considered an acceptable solo exercise. But in 2016 advances have been made that make true solo gaming a possibility in many cases, so it seems the criteria for what constitutes an 8-out-of-10 solo experience may need to be revised.

I see a lot of wargame publishers touting "solo-friendly" modes, knowing full well the general expectation of the gaming public has changed significantly in the last 5-10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
521tiger wrote:
Eawyne wrote:
I'm a bit surprised, rating this as an 8 in solo playability seems a bit like a stretch I understand the nuance and possibility of playing both sides, but that's hardly "solitaire play", this could be applied to any game then ...

Florent,

I would see the whole rating under another light: First the game is not intended to be a solo game, it's for 2 players. So all fancy things like DVG's "Leader"-series has built in are not there.

On the other hand, there are lots of games out there where you have barely no choice to play solitaire ("...this could be applied to any game then ..." as you stated). I'm tightened to play most of my games solitaire, because I do not have any buddy to play F-t-F with. So for me a Rating "8" for solo-playability is a hghly ranked remark that I can master the game without spoiling the ideas of the game itself.

So chess could also be played by one person "playing both sides" - but it's not intended to and - to be honest - it's not possible. whistle

Hope you got my drift/ what I'm intended to say (I'm member of the testing team and have playes lots of games out of this series several times) is: To get the real "solo" feeling I'm using wodden counter sledges or define a vassal module with fog-of-war which helps a lot

Andy

I totally get what you mean But it's actually not that much about the solitaire aspect of the game, more the rating itself (here, an 8) of the suitability. There are some rules to use dummy armies in this game : this alone conveys some sort of unknown that cannot be played by one player only ! It's a minor detail in the whole game, but nonetheless...

Ha, it doesn't really matter anyways ^^ I tried the game some more, but it's definitively not for me, so there it goes for trade !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas E. Gebhardt
Germany
Birkenwerder
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:

I totally get what you mean But it's actually not that much about the solitaire aspect of the game, more the rating itself (here, an 8) of the suitability. There are some rules to use dummy armies in this game : this alone conveys some sort of unknown that cannot be played by one player only ! It's a minor detail in the whole game, but nonetheless...

Ha, it doesn't really matter anyways ^^ I tried the game some more, but it's definitively not for me, so there it goes for trade !

Florent,

during playtesting I always use the wooden counter sledges AND the dummies for fog-of-war. Even though you (should) know where those dummies are placed (by yourself the turn before), after a while it gives you such a feeling that you are no longer sure who is who. So there is a great amount of uncertainty which I like - and if you think about NOT to cheat you will start to get used to it...

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.