Hide
13 Posts

Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captn_Winkle .
msg tools
So a friend got me the game at Gencon, we have played it twice and was fun but now I have checked some posts here and it seems to be a mess because of the ppl runing Prodos.

Question is, should I even bother buying the add ons on their website with %20 discount? Will these probably be the ones with the old cards and low quality they want to get rid off?

How do I know which and how many add ons to get?

Thanks for suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a KS backer who is still owed product, personally I think supporting Jarek and crew at Prodos/Archon is rewarding dishonesty and disgusting business behavior.

Having said that, and understanding not everyone cares about the issues, understand you will very likely get the 'old' cards with anything you purchase. I doubt Prodos has paid to have new cards printed. The figures themselves should be good quality, what they've delivered so far have been good (as long as you got figures made from the correct resin mixture, some Queens for example were not and the resin was too soft to support the weight of the figure).

As for which add ons, look at the downloadable new rules and decide based on what points you want to construct your forces at, and their stats/abilities in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
I personally didn't purchase any of the add ons from the Prodos site. I got them through retail websites which generally already have good discounts all the time.

I have pretty much all the released expansions and, from experience, my recommendation for starting expansions would be alien warriors and a Power loader. These two are the best to introduce you into the expanded gameplay. After them, get whatever expansions you would think would enhance your own gameplay.

A word of warning, the packaging for the models is pretty bad for such a fragile product. Expect them to arrive with a couple pieces broken, however I have yet to receive a model that I wasn't able to glue together. (And for such highly detailed models I find this an acceptable sacrifice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd wait until Prodos releases the PDF versions of the 2.0 cards.

Technically, this game isn't even complete in its current condition. If/when they are released, you can actually download/print all the cards and use proxies to play a game or two with units you are thinking about getting before taking the plunge.

Of course, the release of the cards could be months/years away whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Food for thought: Prodos is working on a proper boardgame version of this game called Alien Vs Predator: The Last Stand. Yes, they may effectively be creating a competing game to Alien Vs Predator: The Hunt Begins and could drop this game (and all it's negative Kickstarter baggage) if the new game is proves more lucrative/successful.

Given their track record... this is a real possibility
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
People won't like me for saying this but I think that there's an unreasonable amount of complaining about printing of new rules and cards.

As a comparison, Fantasy Flight Games have a excellent reputation but very few people complain about their regular FAQ and errata announcements. Their FAQ for X-Wing miniatures (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/17/op-rul...) is 17.5 pages of card errata.
FFG don't send everybody copies of updated cards etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude nameless
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
dougisitosan wrote:
Food for thought: Prodos is working on a proper boardgame version of this game called Alien Vs Predator: The Last Stand. Yes, they may effectively be creating a competing game to Alien Vs Predator: The Hunt Begins and could drop this game (and all it's negative Kickstarter baggage) if the new game is proves more lucrative/successful.

No. That will be a stand alone EXPANSION of this game. Moreover it is going to be published the new AvP Warbook that bring Avp game to the wargame dimension. AVP board game is an introduction and a support to that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgianni wrote:
dougisitosan wrote:

No. That will be a stand alone EXPANSION of this game. Moreover it is going to be published the new AvP Warbook that bring Avp game to the wargame dimension. AVP board game is an introduction and a support to that game.

Think they'll send us KS backers the rest of what they owe s so we can play this wonderful but as of yet to be published wargame, which in and of itself is owed to some of us backers?

If it is stand alone, it isn't an EXPANSION, it is a separate game. That is kind of what stand alone means. It may be 'compatible with' (though I have not seen them mention it), but 'compatible' has different meanings to different people, and I expect Jarek and crew to pick a convenient definition rather than an accurate one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ilgianni wrote:

You sure about that?
From their Facebook:

Those don't appear to be 20 sided.

These don't appear to be compatible with the current tileset.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. {Cue X Files theme}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elwyn5150 wrote:
People won't like me for saying this but I think that there's an unreasonable amount of complaining about printing of new rules and cards.

As a comparison, Fantasy Flight Games have a excellent reputation but very few people complain about their regular FAQ and errata announcements. Their FAQ for X-Wing miniatures (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/17/op-rul...) is 17.5 pages of card errata.
FFG don't send everybody copies of updated cards etc.

You make a compelling argument. However:
1) Prodos has yet to release an errata
2) Prodos updates it's sister game (Warzone: Resurrection) by releasing pdf cards (check it out: http://warzone.prodosgames.com/downloads)
3) Compare this to the Warzone page: http://avp.prodosgames.com/downloads
4) Wargame rules, anyone???? They were part of our Kickstarters (ages ago, I know), and they have yet to materialize (of course, same can be said for miniatures, and a complete game).

TL/DR: By their own standard Prodos is not supporting this game as they should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I know, the new boardgame is not an expansion, but a replacement for the hunt begins. It uses greatly overhauled and simplified rules that don't use the warzone-D20 mechanic anymore, but a D6-core mechanic similar to Imperial Assault using custom dice. The hunt begins shall then become obsolete as entrypoint to the Wargame.

The Wargame approach however has also been changed (already ages ago). I don't know if this update was KS-backers only, but there will be no separate Wargame. Instead there will be an Expansion to Warzone 2.0, introducing Xenomorphs, Yautja and Colonial Marines/WY as playable factions. So you will need the Warzone 2.0 rules to play the AvP wargame (to be fair, Jarek announced in the same Update that every AvP Wargame KS Backer will receive printed Warzone 2.0 rules together with the AvP expansion for free). If Jarek keeps this promise, however, is yet to be seen. I asked Jarek at Spiel in Essen, germany about the new rules and he said, since it's an expansion to Warzone, you could e.g. Play Xenos vs. Bauhaus or Mishima vs. Yautja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
magisystem wrote:
The Wargame approach however has also been changed (already ages ago). I don't know if this update was KS-backers only, but there will be no separate Wargame. Instead there will be an Expansion to Warzone 2.0, introducing Xenomorphs, Yautja and Colonial Marines/WY as playable factions.

This was in the June 22nd Kickstarter update.
Prodos Games wrote:
4. Wargaming Book – As of the 1st of July, Warzone Ressurection, Prodos other licensed game will start an open BETA. This is important to AvP as the core game will share the same mechanics as expected. If you are interested in learning more about these core mechanics please sign up to newsletter at shop.prodosgames.com for more info. Once the BETA is over the book will be sent to print along with the AvP supplement. Just to make it very clear, essentially you’re getting the best of both worlds. You get the core rules for Warzone 2.0 and the supplement for AVP....Both in Hardback with all the facehugging goodness! I wonder what sort of Alien would be made from a Face-hugged Golgotha would look like (http://shop.prodosgames.com/dark-legion/37-golgotha.html)

magisystem wrote:
So you will need the Warzone 2.0 rules to play the AvP wargame (to be fair, Jarek announced in the same Update that every AvP Wargame KS Backer will receive printed Warzone 2.0 rules together with the AvP expansion for free).
You misread this update. Backers that were unfortunate enough to buy a copy of the AVP Wargaming Book with their pledge would instead receive hardbound Warzone 2.0 rules and AVP supplement for free. To refresh everyone's memory, here's what was promised during the Kickstarter:
30Nov2013 AVP Kickstarter Page wrote:
How does the AvP Wargame work?
- 2+ players - D20 based on the Prodos Wargame System
- Alternative Squad Activation (you go I go etc.)
- Create your own special characters etc.
- Army construction – each model has its own points value dependent on the Model type and experience level! (levels from 1 to 5)
- Narrative games allow characters and models to gain ‘Experience’ to level-up
- 50 Missions cards (at three levels)
- Tactical Cards for each factions (120 in total).
- Scalability (1 to 100s of models per side) so you can play for example 1 Predator against a Platoon of Colonial Marines or a whole Battalion of Marines vs a Hive of Aliens)
- Longevity – New Alien, Predator and Marine types with special rules, mission and tactical cards will be introduced over the coming months and years.

And including a Short story in AvP The Hunt Begins by the franchises’ ϋber-novelist Steve Perry
It's not really a letdown unless the supplement is utter trash. I would just like to know what is taking so long to fulfill a three year old promise to paying customers for a set of rules that are dreadful when you consider the development time allotted -
strait from the FAQ section of the same Kickstarter page (just for lulz):
30Nov2013 AVP Kickstarter Page wrote:
When will we see the PDF of the rules?
When they are ready but before the end of March

Last updated: Tuesday Nov 26, 2:55pm EST

At this point, I am convinced this is what the rules department at Prodos looks like:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Noyes
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Basically, as usual, everything is as clear as mud.
Same old Prodos, different day.
I would still be not surprised at all if the hunt ended before it really began.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.