Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Worth getting just the base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I read about about KD:M, I've been intrigued. So this new KS looks good.
But... I am most certainly not going to drop 1700$ on it right now. There is absolutely no way I could justify that to myself, even if it would probably hold or increase its value if I ever decide to sell it. Currently, I have a 350$ pledge standing, for the base game + Gambler's Chest. I might actually drop the 100$ for the Chest, if it turns out to be mostly the 'pinups', which don't really interest me (I read they don't add to the game meaningfully, and are only fun display pieces, right?).

On to the question, which you might have guessed from the topic title: is it worth getting just the base game?
And a very relevant second question: will I be able to get the expansions later? As long as I've been reading about this game, I've read about crap availability and insane prices in the secondary market. When I look at their online shop right now, it appears that there are some expansions in stock, so when we're done with the base game, expanding it shouldn't be a problem. I'm no completionist, so if I can only get (for instance) 15 out of 24 expansions, I'll happily roll with that.

... And still in doubt about that Gambler's Chest. I might drop it in favor of some expansions if it's mostly useless stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TBH I missed out on the last Kickstarter and regretted. Now I just went all in and got the 1.7k pledge. I know how you feel, but it's a hobby/boardgame, the value of the game is subjectice to each of their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you watch the gameplay reviews? I posted two I liked on the "Will the reviewers" thread awhile back.

You are correct that the pinups do not add gameplay. The updates sorta mention the gameplay included with the reveals. With all the other chaff threads appearing now, I think asking how much gameplay each day's reveal adds would be *very* helpful to those who haven't played KD:M yet.

The website has occasional 50% off sales and, if money's an issue now, you're not going to pick up all the expansions at once, since they themselves are expensive. This isn't some $10 SoB or SDE figure. It's a $150 expansion set for the Dragon King, frex. Meanwhile, you *are* going to want to ask which expansions are the best to get in what order, since some are better than others.

We'll find out what's in that Gambler's Chest in 40 days. I'm hoping for more pinup mini's. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iLLumines wrote:
TBH I missed out on the last Kickstarter and regretted. Now I just went all in and got the 1.7k pledge. I know how you feel, but it's a hobby/boardgame, the value of the game is subjectice to each of their own.

It's not about justifying the price of the game. I honestly don't care about that and would never say 'it's just a game, it's not worth that amount of money'. I'm just not comfortable spending that amount on anything but the renovation of my house right now The 350$ are firmly within my 'fun stuff budget'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry aka ventzlav
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mbmb
Adam said there would be 3 new mechanics that change the game.
Philosophy of Death is one of them revealed. 2 more to be revealed later.

Also, he commented Gamblers box will have a KD:M Advanced rulebook composed of this mechanics. Well, just all of it in a book. Guess he will ad some more clever minor changing mechanics as well.

guess it might not be a big deal for a new player that is low on funds. and jumping for the base game + dragon + gorm or sunstalker might be a good idea for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it is all about how are you going to play this game. In my case I will likely only play with my wife because I dont think any of our friends will enjoy such a complex game, hence I'm on the $200 pledge and will by the Dragon King expansion just because I find that dragon incredible.

But if I had a playing group that I knew would enjoy it for years to come I would likely share the investiment to go all in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry aka ventzlav
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alex,

the gambler chest might be a good addition, since it has some mechanics. they are going to be playable with just two of you and will get you also minis that would be exclusive.

in case you won't find it good enough, I guess some KD:M fan from AU missed KS might get it from you.

but it's only if you do have extra $100-130 to spend (with shipping).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played the game.
But:
You can read all over the forums that people form the first KS haven't even touched the expansions yet and are still having fun with the base game.
So I think you are fine.
Also the base game is planned to be delivered next summer. Then you can play and if you want an expansion or two... there'll be another BlackFriday on the shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the base goes up to 30 lantern years now with 1.5, each year is Around 1-3 hours depends on you. So yes if you're on a budget you're still getting a lot of content with just the base game, not counting the time you'll have to do preparation with the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KD is my favorite game.
Only played with 2 expansions so far.
You don't need it.
They are fun and I don't regret buying them, but they are not really necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
I don't understand expansion. They will be delivered in wawes, does that mean, if I for example get 1 old and 1-2 new expansions, I will be getting 3 shipments+ base game shipment, thus, shipping charges will be quite high or will all expansions come in one shippment? Or will old expansions come in one shipment, while new expansions will come in another one or more shipments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the useful replies so far Of course I read the FAQ, but there are literally four sentences on this subject in there. I'm mainly looking for experiences from people who are already playing the game (though perspectives from fellow backers are welcome, too!). Looks like I'll stick with the base game and maybe add an expansion or two (that Dragon King mini just looks too awesome to pass up). And let's see what the Gambler's Chest brings, I can always drop it at a later point ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had everything from the first KS since they shipped and my group has played a couple settlements in that time. We haven't added a single expansion to the core game yet.

So yeah, the base game is totally good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Don't know if anyone knows the answer, but will it be possible to add stuff to future waves? So say you get the base game and gambler's chest, you could add expansions on to be shipped with the chest later on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
I don't understand expansion. They will be delivered in wawes, does that mean, if I for example get 1 old and 1-2 new expansions, I will be getting 3 shipments+ base game shipment, thus, shipping charges will be quite high or will all expansions come in one shippment? Or will old expansions come in one shipment, while new expansions will come in another one or more shipments?

Old expansions are expected to ship around the same time next year as the core game, but will be shipped separately, so you will pay shipping separately on them. New expansions are scheduled for spring 2019... so they will be a separate shipment, but will presumably ship all as a bundle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Please put any future queries you have about the Kickstarter in the following thread instead of starting individual ones.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1679203/kingdom-death-monst...

Please keep any further posts like this one to yourself instead of spamming everyone else's threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
CarcuS wrote:
smurfORnot wrote:

Old expansions are expected to ship around the same time next year as the core game, but will be shipped separately, so you will pay shipping separately on them. New expansions are scheduled for spring 2019... so they will be a separate shipment, but will presumably ship all as a bundle.

How much $ are you expected per expansion if they shipp seperate from base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Warner
msg tools
Kingdom Death: Monster is by far my favourite board game and I have yet to TOUCH any of the expansions.

If you're worried about cost, just get the base game and you'll be able to have hundreds of hours of game time with it.

IF you ever get bored, or come into some money and like the game enough, pick out your favourite expansions then.

Assuming you've researched and this looks like a game you might enjoy you will not be disappointed by the amount of game play in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have all expansions but didn't even used most of them at all yet. I think I will while waiting for the new ones in 2019 but the Core Game by itself is something that gives hundreds of hours of joy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lim
msg tools
As for me, it depends on how much you're willing to spend a year. For me I went from 350 to 927 because I want all the expansions. Currently all of the expansions are half the price, they actually tell you the price of each expansion on their kickstarter page.

Currently there is 12 expansions available in their official website. But if you click on expansions, you only see 10 and I've calculated that 10 of them are worth $800 excl shipping.

With the pledge I made of $927 which gives me the chest($100) & core game($150) and all the new expansions(so far 3 have been revealed from the time of this reply) + pinups which you can sell it off if you're not into them. What I did was I took 927-100-150=677, I'm paying 677 for all the new expansions and pinups which is definitely worth more if I were to buy it from their site after the campaign ends.

And if 927 is too much for you, what I did to convince myself was, 927/4=231. Divide 4 because you'll get your core game on 2017, gambler's chest on 2018, expansions on 2019 and 2020 if they miss out on anything. So you're actually spending 231 per annum for 4 years on this game.

I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.