Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

This review is part of my series of reviews of how games have worked with my children, now aged 6, 9 and 11. For the full list see My children's game reviews - children aged between 2 and 12

Fun Components

This game really doesn't have much in the way of components, and with the children we're playing with homemade components anyway, so just felt tip pens and a piece of paper.

Simplicity of rules:

The rules are very simple, especially as I've set up a database for selecting the word, which is the hardest part for young children. So we pass the phone round so that everyone can either see the word, or that they are the fake artist. Then each player gets to draw just one line on the paper, twice round, and then we decide who is the fake artist. Even the 6 year old rapidly got the idea of this!

Randomness:

As it's a light party game, adults knowing better strategy isn't really an issue. There are sometimes issues with the youngest not quite knowing the word, or not being as good at drawing (his additions to the map of Europe were quite amusing, and he mixed up a dustpan with a saucepan, and similar incidents). This is less of an issue with the older two. At first my daughter in particular would get a bit too carried away with drawing, making it too easy for the fake artist to guess what the real word was, but this is improving with repeat plays. Certainly although the younger players are more likely to be voted for as fake artists due to bad drawing, in other games they might be ignored where someone else looks suspicious, as you assume it's their age, so they get away with it, so they don't have a huge handicap when it comes to winning - not that anyone really cares who wins anyway in a game like this!

Did the children enjoy it?

It's not been a "every games session" level requested game, but it's certainly come out quite often since we introduced it to them, and if an adult suggests it it is always met with great glee, and after a game finishes there is always a request to play another game - and another! I think our record is 6 in a row!!

And how is it from the adult's point of view?

I think this is a really neat little party game, especially with the introduction of our word-chooser, and like the fact that I've been able to introduce to my children while it's also fresh to adults. Makes a change from Telestrations, which was starting to get stale for me, for a drawing party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more.

If kids sometimes have trouble thinking of a word, you can you always pull out the cards for like apples to apples, or codenames or taboo.

Often just seeing some words written down will give them an idea to go with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.