$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Morning all

I'm very tempted by the Amazon Fire Tablet that's currently on sale for £29.99, but before I commit, would it be any good for boardgame apps?

I'm thinking Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride specifically.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SquireBev wrote:
Morning all

I'm very tempted by the Amazon Fire Tablet that's currently on sale for £29.99, but before I commit, would it be any good for boardgame apps?

I'm thinking Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride specifically.

Cheers!
Don't know about this much myself. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to browse the Amazon App Store without having it installed (so through a web browser), as that'd definitively answer Carc. and TtR, but.. doesn't seem like it?

I've also been hearing that there's a way to "sneak" the Google Play app onto there to access the apps on that portal. If that's possible, I am seeing TtR and Carcassonne on there.

EDIT: I just noticed you're in the UK. The Google Play availability should be the same there too!

EDIT2: Carc. and TtR are on the Amazon App Store.
You can browse their selection by going to Amazon's (regular) site, and doing a search on "Apps & Games" (click the dropdown menu to the left of the search field)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naeradan
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Google Play store can relatively easily be added to the new Fire. You can find several tutorials around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Carcass one and Ticket to Ride are both on the Amazon AppStore as well as quite a lot of others.

For some apps like Patchwork you will need to side load the Google play store.

I bought a £30 kindle tablet last year and still going strong, though it has now been passed down to my son. Quite the durable machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Generally speaking, I find the fire tablets to be fine for games.
The 6.5 inch screen is a little smaller, but still usable for most
games.

It is a problem that lots of paid apps are not available from
the amazon store. Most free apps are actually compatible, if
you're clever enough to move the APK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only concern i'd have is the lack of google play, but as others said, there are really easy tutorials to install the play store onto a Fire. I just did it for my brother in law this weekend.

The other option is to find a way to install generic android on it, but i'm sure that's harder then it used to be. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.