Frostgrave» Forums » General

Subject: How does this compare to Mordhelm or Necromunda rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems very similar to Mordhelm except for the focus on having a wizard, and playing in a hazardous environment. Now, before anyone gets their pitchforks to lynch me, I want to like this game, but I am hoping for a comparison from someone who has played both. I really like Necromunda, but I want a fantasy version. As Mordhelm is out of print, I thought I would check this out. Other then the above differences, what is there that sets Frostgrave apart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question - subscribed.

I play Frostgrave, but never played Mordheim. I often hear comparisons. I think 2 dfferences are that a) the only person developing his character traits is the wizard, and b) Frostgrave is completely independent of any miniature line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Frostgrave yet but I'm in the process of painting up miniatures for it and getting terrain sorted out. From a read of the rules it does seem to have a lot in common with Mordheim. Like the Big Lebowski said, you don't have to track XP and stats for all of your warband in Frostgrave, just your wizard, so it's less 'book keepy' than Mordheim. Despite the similarities, to me Frostgrave seems to have more of an emphasis on 'dumb' fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all 3. Frost grave is a lot more playable IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostgrave is to Mordheim what 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis is to Twilight Struggle. A streamlining of it's forefather. Not better, but different, and still a good game in it's own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good analogy. Thanks. Apparently now I need to go play 13 Days, because I really love Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostgrave is the only wargame I've ever gotten my girlfriend to play. It's fast and fun, once you learn all 50 spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate all of the input. I went ahead and got a Digital copy of the book, and I am really liking it. They are going to publish a Folio that has Frostgrave: Dark Alchemy, Frostgrave: The Hunt for the Golem, Frostgrave: Sellsword, Frostgrave: Arcane Locations, and a new expansion called The Ravages of Time. I am super excited, but it won't be out until March!cry

Apparently I need to have some self restraint and not buy them all individually now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rawlinsusmc wrote:
I really appreciate all of the input. I went ahead and got a Digital copy of the book, and I am really liking it. They are going to publish a Folio that has Frostgrave: Dark Alchemy, Frostgrave: The Hunt for the Golem, Frostgrave: Sellsword, Frostgrave: Arcane Locations, and a new expansion called The Ravages of Time. I am super excited, but it won't be out until March!cry

Apparently I need to have some self restraint and not buy them all individually now.

I broke down and got Sellsword and Dark Alchemy early. I'll still grab the Folio in March.

If you're going to break, I think Sellsword is the one to go with. Captain rules are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the big one for me is going to be the solo rules of Dark Alchemy. I don't have a regular group to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rawlinsusmc wrote:
I think the big one for me is going to be the solo rules of Dark Alchemy. I don't have a regular group to play with.

Dark Alchemy is also good.

The solo stuff is scenarios, no real rules changes. It's a good way to look at setting up your own solo scenarios though.

I also recommend Into The Breeding Pits for solo play. The scenarios there are more like dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rawlinsusmc wrote:

There's also Warriors of Athena, which is a small campaign using modified Frostgrave rules, but set in mythic Greece. It consists of two solo scenarios which could easily be adapted back to the original Frostgrave setting.

See here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samanar
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hi-jack this thread to ask similar question ninja.

How does Frostgrave compare to the Dragon Rampant, since both are small warband skirmish tactical games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant are not similar in scope. You will usually have several units in dragon rampant each with as many figures as you might ever use in frostgrave force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostgrave plays a lot faster and there's less leveling/improvement to take care of. Only the Wizard (and by extension, the Apprentice) actually improve over time. The rest of your warband are disposable nobodies.

I played Necromunda extensively, and Mordheim a tad bit. All three are fun, but you could get several rounds of Frostgrave done in a evening. That would have been a tough feat to accomplish with the two GW games.

I find Frostgrave to be deep enough to be challenging, and light enough to have fun and not really agonize over any decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.