Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bo Ejdesgaard
Denmark
Odense NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all

Love the game and initially loved the token bag system.
However, after a couple of games I felt there were some issues with the system. The two main reasons were that my fingers were a bit too big to take the tokens and that I felt I had a tendency to draw the same tokens frequently (not shuffling the bag properly).

So I thought about an alternate system and came up with a solution presented here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140385/arkham-horror-lcg-...

It's essentially 4x d20 tables for Night of the Zealot campaign for each difficulty setting.
It's optimized for A4 printing. Just fold and laminate.

As I see it the pros and cons are as follows:

PROS:
1) Better randomization (if your d20 isn't skewed)
2) Easier to roll a die than grapping tokens from a bag (for me at least!)

CONS:
1) You don't get that "drawing from a bag" feeling
2) We'll probably need a specific table for each campaign
3) You have to reroll blanks

But anyway, hope some of you like it.
I've played with it a couple of times now and really like it (though I've had a nasty tendency to roll 15 at normal difficulty )

Kind regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
http://chaosbag.retrobox.eu/
this solves your problem as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dom
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried a big cup instead of a bag? I am using one it works really nice...but I also really like the feel the token gives you in comparison to a die or an online app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Another CON is the dead space on the die. No matter how hard to easy, you can roll the blank then need to reroll. Not a big issue, but still annoying. Someone made a app for the IPad to pick tokens, tap and get a random symbol. I plan to try that out in place of the bag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bo Ejdesgaard
Denmark
Odense NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
http://chaosbag.retrobox.eu/
this solves your problem as well

A nice service

But I'm kind of an old fashioned gamer that prefers no digital objects when I play meeple

Added the reroll of blanks on the con list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the tokens in the box lid, hold it over your head, shake, draw.

There's many alternate solutions that don't require a complete overhaul of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
How is it better randomisation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

There's many alternate solutions that don't require a complete overhaul of the system.

Please don't say "many" without some specifics.

If someone feels they have "fat fingers" or find it difficult to pickup tokens, having those tokens lying flat on a cardboard surface is likely more difficult than selecting them from a bag. At least in a bag, the cloth can be folded so you can get you fingers on either side of a token.

What other methods do you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dom
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I meant "put them in a nice round bowl/cup". Then they are never lying flat around. It is easy to shuffle and should be easy to grab. There are also same nice thematic cup suggestions here in the forum. The only negative (on my part) is that it isn't thaaaat portable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tangram11 wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Please don't say "many" without some specifics.

If someone feels they have "fat fingers" or find it difficult to pickup tokens, having those tokens lying flat on a cardboard surface is likely more difficult than selecting them from a bag. At least in a bag, the cloth can be folded so you can get you fingers on either side of a token.

What other methods do you suggest?

There are many things I could offer you, but some of them are provided here in the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all of these thread pop-ing up on how to replace the chaos token, I must be the only person who plays this game who enjoys it.

I think it's a clever way to make it different than dices and it makes so much sense on the difficulty changes possibility and even open up more option in future expansion that could introduce new tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dom
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone.

BTW: Another thing I saw mentioned in the forum was the usage of coin capsules for the tokens. I personally don't need them but for those with the bigger fingers they could be easier to pick up? (Especially from a flat surface)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy pulling the tokens from a bag. It feels more fun and tense than a dice roll. Also it allows a lot of flexibility without a bunch of complexity. Especially now that I have the tokens in capsules. It gives them a very tactile feel. The coin capsule thread talks about what types to get if anyone is interested.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677099/coin-capsules/page/...

That said if people feel they will have more fun doing it this way then who am I to tell them to stop.

Though it feels like your issue was more with the container you were using to draw rather than the system itself judging by your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I expect we've not seen the end of rules that manipulate the bag. It's an LCG, eventually I expect to see cards that break every single established rule. Adding and removing tokens from the bag mid-scenario seems a given at some point. As does a scenario where tokens aren't returned to the bag after a draw. Maybe at some point we will have scenarios that use multiple bags, or something equally strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.