Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Which do you think is better and why?

Apples and oranges. Now, both are abstract though Samurai has painted a theme on it that Ingenious doesn't bother with. However, Samurai has more interaction, complexity, hidden but trackable information, whereas Ingenious has fewer rules and more randomness in the tile draw.

So it depends on whether you intend to play with "gamers" (then pick Samurai) or ordinary people (then pick Ingenious).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both, but I think at 2 players I would lean to Ingenious. More players, Samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the theme to Samurai wasn't actually painted on, but the game was developed from the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Family gaming - Ingenious.
Brainburning session with others who like (not necessary love) abstracts and really like card games, also oriental mechanism elements - Samurai.

As for me, I like both, but while Ingenious is a family classic, Samurai is simply a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Ingenious all day. Much more interesting play, much more interesting scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Of course the theme to Samurai wasn't actually painted on, but the game was developed from the theme.

There's no theme to Samurai, so this statement is more or less inoperable.

The map does bear a resemblance to Japan if you look at it from a distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious is easy to learn and play right out of the box. Of course, Knizia scoring makes the strategy a little harder to grasp. Samurai may have a steeper learning curve and more depth. I am more engaged when I play Samurai, but I agree about the apples and oranges remark above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the crazy people who finds Samurai thematic as you are placing tiles which represent your influence of a certain type into an area and whoever puts the most related influence wins the token and those tokens determine how well you did.

I don't think either is a bad option, but I would lean towards Samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Which do you think is better and why?

?? A green sweater or brown hiking boots. Both useful but serve entirely different purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So easy...Samurai!

Ingenious was such a miss for us. The concept was great but the ending was such a bust. Sometimes it felt like there was nothing you could do to make a difference near the end and that never feels good. I'm sure it serves it's purpose for some but we had no time for that compared to other games of a similar style/weight.

Samurai is so smart but so simple. Deceptively simple! Every game I play I feel like I'm doing really good only to have someone outplay me. This is not a bad thing because it makes we want to come back for more and make better moves. It scales well to various player counts due to the different board sizes and it's a visually appealing game, at least the copy I have is.

For me, the best part of Ingenious was the unique scoring structure. Now that I own Tigris and Euphrates there is no need for Ingenious and that was the final blow that banished the game from my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai.

Because as far as abstracts go, Ingenious is super simple to grasp. Playing the best move each turn doesn't require hundreds of plays to understand and see. What's left after that is the luck of the tile draw with just a smidge of strategy and tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

There's no theme to Samurai, so this statement is more or less inoperable.

A hard to justify assertion. And far from being inoperable, my statement is simply factually correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of these games are incredible. My gaming group is split on this one 50/50 over which we prefer but we all like both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Ingenious, but I looooovvve Samurai. Amazing game. Highly recommended. I enjoy it with the whole range of player counts. It feels very different with two, but it's still very enjoyable.

They're both available on iOS if you want to try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
I love both, but I think at 2 players I would lean to Ingenious. More players, Samurai.

I feel the exact opposite. With two players, Ingenious seems to take a few turns before turns seem to have in impact. With Samurai, you feel the importance of every move right from the beginning. And there are a lot of people who believe Samurai is excellent, if not best, with two. Regardless of player count, Samurai is a much better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai, hands-down.

More interesting strategic choices and space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.