Subject: Lin Zexu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the rulebook it says if a region has two black tokens, Lin Zexu must be placed there, but what if all regions have only 1 or no token, can he be placed in any region or must he take a region where he can take 1 police action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took from the rules that you should try to inflict the maximum damage possible when playing Lin. So if no region contains 2 black tokens but some contain 1, then it should be played where there is at least 1 token. Or if no black tokens are on the board, then anywhere.

However, Cole may weigh in and say it cannot be played at all if there is no region with at least 2 black tokens. I don't think the rules imply that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
I don't think the rules imply that, though.

I don't think they do either, but it also doesn't state that Lin has to inflict maximum damage. Thematically it might just mean that he only responds because it's Lin's tipping point when there is so much "corruption" going on, whereas a little is manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Quote:
5.3.8 If Lin Zexu can't be placed in a region with two black counters, must he placed in a region with one black counter if possible? I presume yes but worth clarifying.
Yes. He should be placed to do maximum damage.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24000797#24000797
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mfwesq wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Quote:
5.3.8 If Lin Zexu can't be placed in a region with two black counters, must he placed in a region with one black counter if possible? I presume yes but worth clarifying.
Yes. He should be placed to do maximum damage.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24000797#24000797

Ah thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So something that came up in play last night and worth clarifying (for me) is whether you should resolve each of Lin's police actions one at a time. In this case the player wanted to remove two smugglers from a completed supply chain but we were a little unsure on demand adjustment. The way we played it was that the 1st smuggler was removed, the chain breaks, and then we added a die for the remaining uncommitted smuggler. Then the player removed that smuggler and the lowest die from the region. Alternatively, I guess we could have played where Lin removes the two smugglers simultaneously and no demand adjustment would need to occur. Not the biggest deal, but there is some dice shuffling that can impact play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going to assume here that a police action needs to be completed before conducting another police action. Just a hunch, but that is what I'd assume (at least that is what I'm currently implementing in the online version...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MplsMatt wrote:
So something that came up in play last night and worth clarifying (for me) is whether you should resolve each of Lin's police actions one at a time. In this case the player wanted to remove two smugglers from a completed supply chain but we were a little unsure on demand adjustment. The way we played it was that the 1st smuggler was removed, the chain breaks, and then we added a die for the remaining uncommitted smuggler. Then the player removed that smuggler and the lowest die from the region. Alternatively, I guess we could have played where Lin removes the two smugglers simultaneously and no demand adjustment would need to occur. Not the biggest deal, but there is some dice shuffling that can impact play.

I'd agree with how you played it. The question is one aspect of
Quote:
when the dice should be adjusted in case the action involves (or may involve) multiple additions and/or removals of counters. For example, if a conspiracy circle contains a 1-price Bureaucrat, a 2-price Smuggler and a 0-price Smuggler and a Qing Force with a police action, it would be possible to place the 2-price Smuggler in an incomplete chain, undersell it with the 1-price Bureaucrat, then undersell the Bureaucrat with the 0-price Smuggler, then use the Qing Force to remove the Smuggler. Should the dice be adjusted after each placement and removal or only after the entire Conspiracy action has been resolved? The same issue would arise in the context of an opium war, where attacks on Bureaucrats and port openings may uncommit and then remove a Smuggler. Also, strategic choices might be made if the dice are adjusted after each event, rather than only at the end. We have played that the adjustment occurs after each placement or removal, rather than being resolved only at the conclusion of the action or war.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24364382#24364382
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.