13 Posts

The Great War» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game ever going to go big? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Masters
United States
flag msg tools
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked, but will this game ever go big? And by that, I mean, will it find its way to my local game shop, or at least be plenty available on Amazon? I don't know much about Plastic Soldier Company (and I have nothing against it), but doesn't it seem odd that a game from Borg wouldn't be distributed by Avalon Hill or the company that makes M44? I'm curious in this game, but the price tag AND availability are hurdles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill and Days of Wonder have only published a third of the Command and Color Series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic Soldier Company have already published one expansion for The Great War. Since they've been doing it by Kickstarter, they can gauge the enthusiasm for a project. I can see that the French might enter into the system; then there's the whole Eastern front.

Days of Wonder has done quite well with Memoir 44, though they and now Fantasy Flight look like they're discontinuing BattleLore. Battle Cry hasn't received nearly the support that it should: we just passed the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, and there could have been lots of additional rules and scenarios published for the various anniversaries of battles and campaigns. Samurai Battles, I believe is being discontinued by Zvezda; I would think this would be picked up by someone else.

The Commands and Colors games are published by a growing number of companies. For example:

Compass Games is publishing C&C American Revolution
GMT Games is publishing C&C Medieval, to go along with their C&C Ancients and Napoleonics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think PSC Games have learned a bit about game production and distribution with TGW, but I think there is a long way to go for them just in terms of setting up agreements and such forth.

If they can break into the US market, I think that would be a big step for them, but my impression is that their US distribution is not extensive. I don't know how they could overcome that, so if anyone has any ideas.

I still see copies of Memoir'44 sitting on shelves in stores, but only seen Great War once (and I bought that copy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The price for this game in the US including shipping, is better than it is overseas whistle Check out Knoble Night games as well as other online distributors for good prices...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
The price for this game in the US including shipping, is better than it is overseas whistle Check out Knoble Night games as well as other online distributors for good prices...

NWS-Online has it at a fairly good price too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

NWS-Online has it at a fairly good price too.

Between these two stores, NWS and Noble Knight(I have shopped both stores online and shopped Noble Knight in store, and I can reasonably say that if you cannot find something at one of these two stores, it may not be able to be found(without a lot of searching and money). Both stores have very good and fair pricing and customer service and support. Nws has probably the better shipping costs, but Noble Knight imho has a slightly better selection, and they will headhunt games for you. I am close enough to Noble Knight games, which is about an hour from my home, that I make a monthly to every other month trip to save on shipping.
In regards to The Great War, it seems that even though we are reaching the 100 year anniversary of WWI battles, that WWII still surpasses WWI in demand for war games in the U.S.
I will be getting this game in the near future, but have been waiting for the price to come down, and am hesitant as to the quality of the pieces. I have heard they are not as good as Memoir, and often brittle, especially coming off the sprues.
Game play I have heard is excellent, as to expected of a Richard Borg C&C game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Masters
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses, gentlemen. As I said, I have nothing against PSC, I just hope they can exploit what looks to be a really good game. I have Battlecry 150 and m44, and I very much enjoy these games. Maybe the price wil lower for xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wiseguy4187 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, gentlemen. As I said, I have nothing against PSC, I just hope they can exploit what looks to be a really good game. I have Battlecry 150 and m44, and I very much enjoy these games. Maybe the price wil lower for xmas.

My copy with the tanks expansion is currently on auction here on BGG if you're interested...

Item for Geeklist "Ones Upon an Auction #003 | Distant Early Warning"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and am hesitant as to the quality of the pieces. I have heard they are not as good as Memoir, and often brittle, especially coming off the sprues.

Sounds like you've been reading Russian fake news sites.

The pieces-- rather the bayonets-- have had some problems with breaking when coming off the sprues. Other than that, they are very sturdy. I've had nothing break in multiple games, including pieces dropped on the floor and a not very gentle storage system of using a plastic "bead box" for everything. The tank cannon barrels are a problem, nothing else.

"Not as good as Memoir" is, I suppose, a matter of taste. Memoir has soft plastic and one sculpt per unit type that is of moderate toy soldier quality, with variable scale. GW figs are nicely sculpted and have tempted more than a few people to paint them. The Brit MG, for example, is very detailed and a nice model.

It is a very good game (far more detailed and historical than M44).

As to the original post, While Borg is certainly a famous and successful designer, the idea he would "only" release titles with big companies is kind of funny. Unlike GMT, which now has 6 boxes of C&C Ancients, 7 boxes of Napoleonics, and is releasing Medieval (and, it appears, picking up Samurai Battles), most of the really big companies look on board games as a small sideline and have shown little interest in multiple titles with similar mechanics. While Mem 44 itself became a whole franchise of products, the company has shown little interest in other C&C titles and not much in other wargames. With Zvezda and PSC, it was a case of a system that the "mass market" seemed to like better with figures (Mem 44, Battle Cry) and two companies who MAKE figures thinking picking up a C&C game would be a natural fit. It looks like the death of one guy at Zvezda might be the end of that company's game efforts (too bad-- Armada looks very interesting but not with only 3 ships available). PSC is also re-releasing the Battle of Britain game (more miniatures) and may go some other places as well. They do have to work on distribution and marketing, but also have to weigh manufacturing and delivery. They are not likely to be placing orders for 20K units with China like Battle Cry and Mem 44, so they have to take careful steps. Yes, I'd wager the French are next and they will see how well those are received before next steps like Eastern Front (Russians and Austro-Hun) or something 1918 that includes US troops and some special German types. (That's pure guess on my part but it seems like a natural.) They should know US troops will be popular in the US, but would be smart to bring out French first while working on US distributor network. They have a lot of potential with this game, both as a model maker and as a partner with a prolific designer. My surprise on each C&C game is that it gives me the things I enjoy about C&C but also manages to give me enough "surprises" that it really feels like a different period, requiring different tactics to succeed. Thanks, Richard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gerald the old master
msg tools
mb
Battle of Britain spells the slowing down ,if not the end of The Great War. I posted Where to from here on The Great War many post ago and covered all the possible next steps. They all sound good but whether they ever see the light of day is looking bleak in my opinion. And I hope I'm wrong.WW2 is just so much more popular then WW1. I'm glad for what I have and will consider the game complete for trench warfare and tank battles. It looks like the gaming community will be where you get expansions for this game from now on .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai Battles is being picked up and redone by GMT. I think PSC has taken on many new minis projects lately, which has probably slowed down The Great War development.

For information and discussion on all of the C&C games, see here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1238923/guide-cc-games-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the old master wrote:
Battle of Britain spells the slowing down ,if not the end of The Great War. I posted Where to from here on The Great War many post ago and covered all the possible next steps. They all sound good but whether they ever see the light of day is looking bleak in my opinion. And I hope I'm wrong.WW2 is just so much more popular then WW1. I'm glad for what I have and will consider the game complete for trench warfare and tank battles. It looks like the gaming community will be where you get expansions for this game from now on .....

Last thing i heard, is the french are planned for 2017, so slow-down, perhaps, but calling this the end sounds a bit overly pessimistic to me.

As for BoB, it makes sense to me for a company not to put all their eggs in a single basket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.