Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
When taking the Extraordinary delivery local action (on private building 9a) do you perform any/all of the 5 Kansas City subphases (Foresight 1-3, Income and Delivery)?

Or do you simply move your train back and stick a player disc onto a city (following the rules described for this action), meaning that you don't actually sell any cattle and gain any income (except what you might get from a delivery action)?

I assume you don't do any of the Kansas City subphases, meaning you don't actually sell any cattle cards from your hand (because the rules don't mention doing that), but as the action is called Extraordinary delivery I wasn't sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are over thinking it. You are not at Kansas City, so why would you do the Kansas City subphases? It wouldn't be very extraordinary if you still had to sell the cattle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Perform an extraordinary delivery: First, move your engine one or more spaces backwards. Then choose a city crest whose city value is equal to or lower than the number of spaces that you just moved your engine backwards (occupied spaces and turnout spaces, however, do not count towards this number). As usual, you may not choose any city crest that already has one of your discs on it (except Kansas City or San Francisco). Then, following the usual rules, place one of your player discs from your player board onto the chosen city crest. If this triggers any delivery actions, perform these as usual. You do not have to pay any transport costs, however. If your engine has landed on a turnout space, you may now upgrade its train
station following the usual rules. Then this local action ends.
1) Move engine backwards
2) put disc on appropriate city (and get stuff if triggered by the city or by the place where the disc was on your tableau)
3) (only if your engine ends up in a station: ) chance to place disc in station (for money and potentially a worker)

No cards are involved, nor do you get money (unless you deliver to KC or take the "+2 speed" disc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Quote:
Perform an extraordinary delivery: First, move your engine one or more spaces backwards. Then choose a city crest whose city value is equal to or lower than the number of spaces that you just moved your engine backwards (occupied spaces and turnout spaces, however, do not count towards this number). As usual, you may not choose any city crest that already has one of your discs on it (except Kansas City or San Francisco). Then, following the usual rules, place one of your player discs from your player board onto the chosen city crest. If this triggers any delivery actions, perform these as usual. You do not have to pay any transport costs, however. If your engine has landed on a turnout space, you may now upgrade its train
station following the usual rules. Then this local action ends.
1) Move engine backwards
2) put disc on appropriate city (and get stuff if triggered by the city or by the place where the disc was on your tableau)
3) (only if your engine ends up in a station: ) chance to place disc in station (for money and potentially a worker)

No cards are involved, nor do you get money (unless you deliver to KC or take the "+2 speed" disc).

That's how I thought it would work, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
Uffe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
You are over thinking it. You are not at Kansas City, so why would you do the Kansas City subphases? It wouldn't be very extraordinary if you still had to sell the cattle.

Thanks. I figured I was probably over thinking it, which is why I was assuming you wouldn't do any of those subphases, but just wanted to make sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:

Only this point for me was not clear, as rules states that you do not count this step back to your total count. You could understand that you can not move to a turnover place.
It's all clear now, but I'm just pointing it out.
And I assume that you have to finish moving backwards when you stop at such turnover place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris keeley
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife is asking if i choose San Francisco to make a delivery and I'm almost at the end of the track I'd have to move my train to San Francisco station. Is that right? That then makes this building not so OP.

In effect is this the action that is granted by reaching the end of the train line? Also could this action be done twice ie reach the end, go back to previous station and then reach the end again going back to another station.

Going back to the first paragraph clarification for 9a - if I move train forward and go past San Fran I could make another similar delivery to San Fran by the use of this building in a future turn.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically if you get to the end of the track, and go back to the second-to-last station after the arrival, then you can use 9a twice for a SF delivery without the need for moving forward on the track again beyond the 3 steps 9a grants you (and not moving forward again by other means is unlikely: if you're playing a train strategy, you probably WILL move forward during your cycle to come to 9a a second time ninja).

It will be challenging though to race to the end of the track AND ramp up a building to 9a fast enough so you can use it twice (you'll need at least a second craftsman to get there with four building actions, in addition to the several engineers you need for the train strategy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris keeley
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry just to clarify. If I'm choosing San Fran and I'm at the end of the track and I choose San Fran eg do I have to go back 18 spaces with my train as per the city crest?
Sorry it's just me being over thinking or probably thick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klinsy73 wrote:
Sorry just to clarify. If I'm choosing San Fran and I'm at the end of the track and I choose San Fran eg do I have to go back 18 spaces with my train as per the city crest?

Reaching the end of the track and building 9a have nothing to do with each other.

Building 9a allows you to move your train back X spaces and place a token in a city of value X, e.g. you move your train back 18 spaces and place a token in San Fransisco. Where your train is located before or after moving backwards is irrelevant.

When you reach the end of the track, you first may place a token at the station there ($3 for 9VP). Then you receive $3 and MUST move your train backwards to ANY space on the track.

If you have built 9a, when you reach the end of the track you most likely will choose to move your train back just one space, as backwards movement is a currency you want to preserve for use at building 9a.

Does it all makes sense now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
If you have built 9a, when you reach the end of the track you most likely will choose to move your train back just one space, as backwards movement is a currency you want to preserve for use at building 9a.
I might still go to the second-to-last station (if I have the money to place a disk there) in order to save a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question about this action is regarding the rule that "occupied spaces and turnout spaces, however, do not count towards" the number of spaces you moved your engine backwards. In particular, it is unclear to me whether this excludes the final movement of the engine into a turnout space (which is permitted according to the rules) as counting towards the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
My question about this action is regarding the rule that "occupied spaces and turnout spaces, however, do not count towards" the number of spaces you moved your engine backwards. In particular, it is unclear to me whether this excludes the final movement of the engine into a turnout space (which is permitted according to the rules) as counting towards the number.

How is it unclear? It says that turnout spaces don't count when counting the number of spaces you moved back. So if you moved back 9 spaces (without passing anyone or going through turnouts) and then move a 10th space onto a turnout space, you have only moved 9 spaces as far as the action is concerned. Seems pretty clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
How is it unclear? It says that turnout spaces don't count when counting the number of spaces you moved back. So if you moved back 9 spaces (without passing anyone or going through turnouts) and then move a 10th space onto a turnout space, you have only moved 9 spaces as far as the action is concerned.
This. Basically when going back, you only count numbered track segments. E.g. if your engine is on the turnout between track segment 33+34 (second-to-last station), you could take the "move 3 forward" action to move your engine to track segment 36, then move it back to the turnout between track segment 21+22 (first station behind the bend). For purpose of delivery this will count as moving back 36-22 = 14 spaces, i.e. you can place a disk on San Diego (or less).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw Morris
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused by how this building works. (And it's not just me, none of our group could work it out last night.)

What does the following clause actually mean?

"(occupied spaces and turnout spaces, however, do not count towards this number)"

When I move my train backwards do I jump over other trains, just like normal movement? ie, If my train is at 20, and an opponent's train is at 19, if I move my train to 18, does that count as moving my train 1 or 2 spaces?

And do I completely ignore turnout spaces when moving backwards, with the exception that if I end up just in front of a turnout space, I can move into that turnout space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.