Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sense a problem with this game but I think I've come up with a solution.

When playing a paper RPG with friends I have never replayed the same story. Never note once. I have on rare occasion replayed a console RPG (FF7/Tactics). I consider AHLCG to be an RPG and that means much of the player experience is lost on a second play.(yes you can explore new choices). I'm okay with this but just okay is not good enough.

So just like an RPG we need a replayable dungeon. One your team walks through just to gain XP and level up. A chance to test your ability and level up. - it can be up to the player to choose how the XP is used (if used at all).

So here it is community - can we use the current card pool to create a dungeon crawl experience? Do we need to combine two core sets to create a replayable dungeon?

I perceive this suggestion is for players who thought the story so rich they want to save story replay for a time with friends. In any event who wouldn't want to smash monsters non stop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:

When playing a paper RPG with friends I have never replayed the same story.

I have a few times - mainly those which are focused on interpersonal and political relationships and investigation.

notyetsuperman wrote:
So here it is community - can we use the current card pool to create a dungeon crawl experience?

I'm sorry but a dungeon crawl experience is the last thing I would want with a Lovecraftian game. I can imagine fan created scenarios and even campaigns when there are more cards available. But I am still waiting for my copy of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find your post very interesting

I think we have a different view of what an RPG is - a replayable dungeon to grind and level up in is to me the opposite of what a Roleplaying Game is all about

I think if you view AHLCG as an RPG then yes replaying it means you lose story excitement, but I don't view it as an RPG, it's a living card game with RPG elements to me, and having a replayable dungeon wouldn't for me turn it into an RPG, in fact the opposite.

However as a community exercise it could be quite interesting, I just don't think the result would make AHLCG more of an RPG, in fact less
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
well because of the randomness of the encounter deck, there is sufficient variance to warrant multiple plays of the same scenario. But I think there could be variants introduced to increase the amount of unpredictability in the game. For example having alternate agendas and act cards, where in the setup you should randomly choose one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have understood the dilemma.

I proposed one solution. The idea was to play with the cards independent of the story. In this way I keep the story fresh yet still try many card combos. On one hand I don't want to know what happens when I burn the house down until I am in "story mode" (perhaps with a new set of friends). A game play experience independent of the story would help me resolve this.

In FF7 I separated my story play from grinding for XP and trying new weapons. It's like I mentally separated myself from the two. So I got to test playing Barret and other characters just for fun. Saving my best characters for pushing through the story.

We might call these side quests in an RPG. Perhaps that is the more appropriate term instead of dungeon crawl. Side quests but replayable with less engaging of a story arch.

All in all I find this to be a great praise of the game. The story is so rich I am purposefully delaying my experience of the story until I am with a group of friends to enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@johncraven
I agree. I called that okay but I am looking to make a solution better than okay. Ultimately FFG will satisfy he need. But I think the commmunity will be faster at creating solutions.

In fact I have half a mind to build it myself. If I can find the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan For
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Surely there will be quite a few players interested in writing their own scenarios? I may be ignorant here (as I still wait for xmas and hopefully the core set from my mrs), but custom act/encounter cards to print out with intro flavor text + custom rules would make a brand new scenario, right?

This is part of the reason why I am more optimistic about long term playability of AHtCH than Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. This game is not fully in the hands of FFG and their development schedule, we can augment it and extend it as we see fit.

Or have I completely misunderstood...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% true.

Arkham Horror (original) had such a big fan base. They created campaign play for the base game. I have no doubt AHLCG will be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
You have understood the dilemma.

In FF7 I separated my story play from grinding for XP and trying new weapons. It's like I mentally separated myself from the two. So I got to test playing Barret and other characters just for fun. Saving my best characters for pushing through the story.

We might call these side quests in an RPG. Perhaps that is the more appropriate term instead of dungeon crawl. Side quests but replayable with less engaging of a story arch.

Ah you are of the same mind when it comes to video game rpg's that have that battle grind factor where the RPG factor was focused on building up your character.

I think a lot of folks here are looking at an RPG more akin to the traditional D&D variant of role playing.

I like the concept of going through and beating the crap out of the monsters and could fathom a variant that would let you do this. You could have generic methods of exploration using key locations, or even mixing and matching locations currently available to traverse. I'd like to see investigating still a focal point to unlock the path forward. Investigating seems a big part of unraveling the greater mystery of the game.

Perhaps keeping a generic doom time clock could also help count down the time of your travels for when you know when to level up. Or doom acts as a way for back things/monster surges to occur. Investigating pauses the game to level up, spend experience.

Just some thoughts off the cuff, so to speak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
I already get really much replayability from the core set.

So far i have played the core campaign with 6 different groups of people, and it is really fun to see how differently people are building the investigators, even with the limited card pool. (2 core sets) At the same time it is fun to see a new lead investigator have to make choices, or see a new group be as surprised as i was when turning over that one card.

Furthermore, me and a couple of guys are playing the campaign on hard now that we can nearly safely get R1 of the Devourer Below every time on standard. And now i just got Curse of the Rougarou home this saturday, so playing that alot as well. Btw. it is an absolutely amazing mission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
notyetsuperman wrote:

When playing a paper RPG with friends I have never replayed the same story. Never note once. I have on rare occasion replayed a console RPG (FF7/Tactics). I consider AHLCG to be an RPG and that means much of the player experience is lost on a second play.(yes you can explore new choices). I'm okay with this but just okay is not good enough.

So just like an RPG we need a replayable dungeon. One your team walks through just to gain XP and level up. A chance to test your ability and level up. - it can be up to the player to choose how the XP is used (if used at all).

So here it is community - can we use the current card pool to create a dungeon crawl experience? Do we need to combine two core sets to create a replayable dungeon?

I perceive this suggestion is for players who thought the story so rich they want to save story replay for a time with friends. In any event who wouldn't want to smash monsters non stop?

I would be really interested on something like this, a vanilla scenario to test your decks without spoiling the campaign. The standalone rules are uterly crap for that.

My suggestion will be to add all encounter cards (or the ones from a scenario you want to train for) in a single deck except for the big bosses, who will show up once certain doom is reached (5, 10, 15?).

Win condition would be to reach x number of clues, for which we would need vanilla locations. This are trickier as they contain an important part of the story and flipping them for the first time should be reserved for the campaign mode. The ones from the first scenario (study, attick, cellar) could achieve that at a x2.

I think this is what I will do from now on when testing decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x_chan wrote:

My suggestion will be to add all encounter cards (or the ones from a scenario you want to train for) in a single deck except for the big bosses, who will show up once certain doom is reached (5, 10, 15?).

Win condition would be to reach x number of clues, for which we would need vanilla locations. This are trickier as they contain an important part of the story and flipping them for the first time should be reserved for the campaign mode. The ones from the first scenario (study, attick, cellar) could achieve that at a x2.

I think the woods locations make for a solid testing ground. I'll use your idea for a boss after so many clues.

Rethinking my original post after several plays now but I think the third scenario is a more or less a solid training ground. Easy to set up too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Scenario 1 is a tutorial. It has each type of card and damage represented. That’s what I use for my new decks.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.