Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very fond of Growth and Balance spec combined with any other spec.

I tried so far:

http://codexcarddb.com/deck/finesse/growth/balance
http://codexcarddb.com/deck/growth/finesse/balance
http://codexcarddb.com/deck/growth/blood/balance
http://codexcarddb.com/deck/disease/growth/balance

My next tests will be:

http://codexcarddb.com/deck/growth/past/balance
http://codexcarddb.com/deck/bashing/growth/balance

Growth and Balance fit my play style. You build a strong economy while having some little blockers (Wisps, Water Elemental) to deny opponent access to your economy generators (Galina, Owls). You also have the buffs to make these littles blockers strong units to kill opponent stuff to not let them get stronger. Then you bring in the combos and overwhelm opponent under hard pressure.

What I like with Balance and Growth is Circle of Life allow to get Tech II units in play without the need of Tech II building. You can get this combo as soon as Turn 3 (if you are lucky enough to draw Galina/Owl + CoL at the same time) and getting a Potent Basilisk or an Oversized Rhino on T3 really put pressure on opponent.

Now about the 3rd spec interesting combos.
- If you have the Black deck, Graveyard with Circle of Life allow you to get Galina out as soon as she get sacrificed, which allow you to not lose your economy.
- Blood Hero giving Frenzy to all your Wisp is amazing.

What I want to try with Past spec is that Slow-Time Generator would hinder a lot your opponent while you having so much economy outside your workers, would barely affect you.

With Bashing, considering the amount of blocks, I think I could get Troq to full level and live long enough to chain Final Smash back to back, denying a board to my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Growth, you have to try some combo with Strength! It has a lot of fun synergies to exploit:

1) Bird's Nest tokens make excellent buff targets
2) Galina Glimmer is one of few T1 legendary units and therefore benefits from Mythmaking. (+2/+2)
3) Doubling Barbarbarian benefits greatly from Growth's various buffs. Just Barbarbarian+Dinosize results in a 15/17 with overpower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zejety wrote:
If you like Growth, you have to try some combo with Strength! It has a lot of fun synergies to exploit:

1) Bird's Nest tokens make excellent buff targets
2) Galina Glimmer is one of few T1 legendary units and therefore benefits from Mythmaking. (+2/+2)
3) Doubling Barbarbarian benefits greatly from Growth's various buffs. Just Barbarbarian+Dinosize results in a 15/17 with overpower.

I thought about it, but here why I do not like it much:

1) It requires to have 2 heroes out, so either having Tech II or a Heroes's Hall.

2) A simple Spirit of the Panda does a better job, but at least Spirit of Panda can be put on any units.

3) It requires to have Barbarbarian to stick around (he gonna be target #1) and Growth Hero out when you get Dinosize.

I feel that combos with Strenght are too slow for already slow specs (Growth and Balance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
I literally have no idea what your objections to the Growth + Strength synergies are.

Buffing a bird's nest token with a Growth Spell does require 2 heroes -- but it doesn't actually require that both Heroes be out at the same time. It's also not usually a win condition in and of itself - just a potential synergy and threat an opponent has to keep in mind.

Here are some actual strategies:

1. Run it as the standard Growth tokenspam deck, shooting for the "Arg's riches" opening, where you use Prospector gold to maxband Arg on turn 2, then dropping a Giant Panda or 2, then using any of: Blooming Ancient, Blooming Elm, Might of Leaf and Claw or Stampede as your win condition.

2. Go all-in on Mythmaking, teching in Galina Glimmer and Mythmaking first turn, then moving on to either Ardra's Boulder and/or DeGrey later. This is probably best against opposing tokenspam plans - as both DeGrey and the legendary Morningstar Pass can really limit those.

3. Shoot for just using Growth's buffs on a Strength Tech II unit. Dinosize isn't just great on Doubling Barbarbarbarian, but it can also be a win on Colossus or a Midband+ Rook. Growth buffs are less-awesome, but still pretty good on Whitestar Grappler.

4. Go heavy on Strength spells, but take Growth to Tech II and use Oversized Rhino as your win condition. Here you're counting on Entangling Vines and Thunderclap and the occasional sniping by bird tokens to clear a path for the Rhino to swing for 7. Rook's Midband and Ultimate are big helps in getting lethal damage through this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rabid_schnauzer wrote:
I literally have no idea what your objections to the Growth + Strength synergies are.

Buffing a bird's nest token with a Growth Spell does require 2 heroes -- but it doesn't actually require that both Heroes be out at the same time.

Forgot that the birds don't automatically die when the Nest is gone.

My "objection" is that inside Growth/Balance there are already this kind of big dudes combos that can get to opponent base for a 2 turn kill. But Growth/Strength, you telegraph so much your play to your opponent as soon as you spec into Strenght.

A Barbarbarian even at 17 ATK is pointless vs a patrol zone of 1/1 tokens or worst if opponent is Blood or Truth, he might take control of it and buff it and send it to you, while any other units would be less dangerous to be controlled by your opponent.

I don't say it is bad, but that to make sure your Barbarbarian do what he has to do, it takes a lot of effort, because opponent will be afraid of it, while other less scary stuff can do about the same job, but since they are less scary, opponent might not see it coming and doesn't prepare properly.

But all this is just my opinion, everybody has their play style and there are so many possibilities into Codex deck building and plays, everybody find their needs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam C.
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
A Barbarbarian even at 17 ATK is pointless vs a patrol zone of 1/1 tokens or worst if opponent is Blood or Truth, he might take control of it and buff it and send it to you, while any other units would be less dangerous to be controlled by your opponent.

Simple solution: DeGrey

I would know. Had it done to my mono-black Necro play I then got bodied by a Dinosize'd Barbarian

Wasn't thinking that match
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SergeEXE wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:

Simple solution: DeGrey

I would know. Had it done to my mono-black Necro play I then got bodied by a Dinosize'd Barbarian

Wasn't thinking that match

I once had my big army of skeletons wiped out by Firehouse
http://codexcarddb.com/card/firehouse

I wasn't even angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I haven't had too many opportunities to play a variety of custom teams, but my favorite so far that I've stuck with the most is Necromancy [Main]/Blood/Present. http://codexcarddb.com/deck/necromancy/blood/present

Necromancy by itself with just various Tech 1 units is a force to reckon with, with tons of units and plenty of removal. Skeletal Archery just makes the Skeletons last forever and work wonders on your opponent's patrol zone. And then add in the Blood Hero's mid-band and they are extremely deadly.

With Necromancy, you also have the Graveyard, which does two wondrous things-gives constant access to more units (especially those with arrival abilities) and it things your deck out as things just sit there out of the way. These allows you to get to useful spells and new teched cards quicker. And the Necromancy spell is absolutely ridiculous when you can just sacrifice a skeleton to destroy a hero. Nether Drain is also a fantastic spell.

For the other heroes, their spells tend to work as utility, especially Kidnapping. I hardly do bring out Max Geiger though. I often want Drakk Ramhorn maxed out, to get the most out of my Tech 2 units.

When I do hit Tech 2, I've been constantly going Present to grab the Warp Gate Disciple and then bring in Corpse Catapault. Though I brought in a Crashbarrow for the win once. I also really like maxing out Garth Torken and then reanimating a recently teched in Hyperion.

Another build I just recently toyed with just to see how Aggro I could go was Anarchy [Main]/Fire/Bashing. http://codexcarddb.com/deck/anarchy/fire/bashing
It was surprisingly devastating. My discovery was all about timing your heroes well to bring them out almost exclusively for spells and even let them be killed easily. Bashing's 0-costs 2 Building damage spell combines ridiculously well with the other red direct damage. The one time I got to play the deck, I never even got to tech 2 since I was slinging damage so fast with spells and haste units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:

I once had my big army of skeletons wiped out by Firehouse
http://codexcarddb.com/card/firehouse

I wasn't even angry

I dream to burn the table clean with a Firehouse. I have yet to try it though, since Fire isn't my normal play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've developed a very strong liking to Green, thanks to the RACE tournament on the Sirlin Games boards. Thinking about replacing Balance with Finesse for some Dancer synergy, among other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.