Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A late beta of the 18Ireland rules is now in the file section for your perusal.

When reading through the section on how share prices are handled at company merger it will be helpful to have sight of the stock market which is in the picture of the board:

Reports of typographical errors or a lack of clarity in the rules are welcome and may be posted below. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a minor thing, but my name in spelled incorrectly in the acknowledgements.

Should be McLaughlin instead of Mclaughlan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
It's a minor thing, but my name in spelled incorrectly in the acknowledgements.

Should be McLaughlin instead of Mclaughlan.

Ooops, sorry about that! Will get that corrected...blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephe Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most obvious problem is that the rules that govern laying track are couched in terms of the new track being reachable by a train of infinite length. However, a train must run on broad-gauge track with at least two stations on it. This means that there's the usual problem that a "route" with only one station on it can't be laid, which in turn makes it really hard to lay track at all except near Dublin. There is also the problem that you can't lay narrow-gauge track at all, rendering much of the rest of the rules and components moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maisnestce wrote:
The most obvious problem is that the rules that govern laying track are couched in terms of the new track being reachable by a train of infinite length. However, a train must run on broad-gauge track with at least two stations on it. This means that there's the usual problem that a "route" with only one station on it can't be laid, which in turn makes it really hard to lay track at all except near Dublin. There is also the problem that you can't lay narrow-gauge track at all, rendering much of the rest of the rules and components moot.

Personally, I'd say you're talking about two different things there. A train can 'run' on any broad gauge track it likes, it can only earn revenue from a 'route' with two stations on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Query: Is it intentional that a player may not sell shares and start a company on the same turn in a stock round?

Query2: You can't start a 10 share in a location without a tile?

Typography note: Can the section numbers be set either in in a different font, or with punctuation/more space between them and the section headings?

Edits: Sec 5.5 "...and place the share price marker in the highest outlined space (...) on the stock market that is not more than half of the value of their bid" etc.

Two changes: 'the value of' can be struck without qualm. I would also change it to '...that is half their bid or less'.

I would also strike 'has now floated and' from the last para. People who know what floating are can figure it out, and new players will only be confused. (Ditto section 5.6)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another note: You don't indicate how the players should sit around the table, or even that they should. Most games specify a random order, not just a random start player. Is this intentional? (If it is, I disagree: playing order is important.)

Sec 6.7: 'at least' means 'equal to or more than' and is much simpler to read.

You also don't specify that the first bullet stops applying after you get to twice the stock price, so I therefore go forward three times?

The rule that only 5-shares can make double jumps should be in the bullet "If a dividend is paid by a 5-share company that..." to avoid people missing it.

I would combine the two subsections, with the above caveat, and just say 'divided by the number of shares in the company (5 or 10)' to avoid the huge repetition.

Sec 6.7 "Once earnings have been distributed" if you must. Otherwise 'paid out or withheld'. They're "paid" either way.

Also: subject to the train limit when (first paragraph)? I think the rule is clearer if you strike this entirely. However, in para 3 you need a reference to a chart or something with the train limits per phase.
(Ditto the tile upgrade chart earlier in the rules.)

Emergency fund raising: "May not sell more shares than are needed to cover the immediate debt"---does this imply I can't sell two £50 shares instead of one £100 share?

Bankruptcy: wow, companies just disappear?

[b]Sec 7.2
If A--B--C, (with B a one-circle city), ABC is not a valid merger. This is intended?

The rule about how pool shares vote is before you explain how to calculate the resulting share price, which is awkward. Not clear how to fix that.

The examples could really use a diagram.

Privates: The city of Dublin SPC/Transatlantic SPS could use a second marker for the company charter for use after the private closes

River Shannon: Applies to one train per turn.

D&KR: why muck about with a private certificate? Why not just put the presidency of the company in the Auction pile?

Tile Chart Can you make NONE a little big less huge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:
Query: Is it intentional that a player may not sell shares and start a company on the same turn in a stock round?

Yes, that's intentional. Players will go into a share round with quite a modest amount of cash available. If Player 1 were able to sell shares and then immediately auction a company, quite likely only he would be competitive in that auction. A round of selling first allows all players to be competitive.

Excalabur wrote:
Query2: You can't start a 10 share in a location without a tile?

Correct. The 5-share companies have fixed starting cities. They place their station marker upon floatation, even if their home city has no tile placed upon it.
A 10-share company started from scratch places its first station marker on a vacant, unreserved city space on a tile. It isn't possible to place it in a city with no tile present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:

Emergency fund raising: "May not sell more shares than are needed to cover the immediate debt"---does this imply I can't sell two £50 shares instead of one £100 share?

If you need to raise £100, it's your choice whether you sell two £50 shares or one £100 share. You cannot sell three £50 shares and keep £50 cash.

Excalabur wrote:

Sec 7.2 If A--B--C, (with B a one-circle city), ABC is not a valid merger. This is intended?

Your quoted example is a valid merger. Companies A and C can ignore the fact that B is an intervening blocked station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iansc wrote:
Excalabur wrote:

If you need to raise £100, it's your choice whether you sell two £50 shares or one £100 share. You cannot sell three £50 shares and keep £50 cash.

Then you need to re-write the rule, because it doesn't say that. Another corner to consider before writing the rule again: If I need to raise £100, can i sell a £50 share and then a £100 share, or must the excess be less than the value of the least expensive sale? Does the share price for sales of a particular company (optionally) drop between sales, if I deliberately want to sell more shares?

'iansc' wrote:

Excalabur wrote:

Sec 7.2 If A--B--C, (with B a one-circle city), ABC is not a valid merger. This is intended?

Your quoted example is a valid merger. Companies A and C can ignore the fact that B is an intervening blocked station.

Then strike "other companies'" from the rule: "blockages of intermediate stations by station markers are ignored for the purposes of this rule" or some such. The only possible meaning for 'other' for the inclusion of 'other' to make sense is 'those not included in the merger', which is not what you intend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
iansc wrote:
maisnestce wrote:

Personally, I'd say you're talking about two different things there. A train can 'run' on any broad gauge track it likes, it can only earn revenue from a 'route' with two stations on it.

If this the intention, you will need to repeat all the rules to do with 'routes' when talking about 'runs'. The rule about a route not being able to include track after a blocked station is in the 'route' section of the rules. Is there supposed to be the same rule for 'runs' e.g. do tokened out cities block track laying? My assumption is that tokens block track laying but there is at least one 18xx where tokens can me ignored under certain circumstances.

Can you backtrack when laying track or tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some minor remarks:

page 4

5.2 Actions During a Share Round - first bullet:

"(at least one share must change ownership in the course of this action)"
How may their NOT be a change of ownership?

5.3 Selling Shares - First bullet

"Director's certificates cannot be sold."

So a player only gets rid of a Director's Certificate if another player buys more shares than the current director? So no company dumping?

page 5

5.4 Buying a Share - Top of page right column

Shouldn't this paragraph get its on bullet?

page 6

second to last paragraph left column

"Give the priority deal card . . . "
Shouldn't this get its own paragraph?

page 8

6.6 Run Trains and Calculate Earnings

I assume a D-Train runs an unlimited number of hexes? It should be noted somewhere.

page 10

6.7 Pay or Withhold Dividends . .

second paragraph fourth bullet

"Otherwise the share price does not change"

I had to read the whole paragraph several times until I realized that this takes place if the total earnings are lower than the current share price^^
[same for 10-Share Company]

page 11

second paragraph - left column

Is selling Director's shares of other companies OK?
Procedure should be: Exchange Director's certificate with two shares from the player with the next most shares in the respective company . . . Director's certificate cannot be sold if no player holds two shares!

Ciao

Martin

I am definitely want to buy this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentaclebreaker wrote:

page 4

5.2 Actions During a Share Round - first bullet:

"(at least one share must change ownership in the course of this action)"
How may their NOT be a change of ownership?

That's to cover the possibility that a devious individual opts to neither sell a share nor to buy one, but still claims that they took an action and that the share round should continue.

Pentaclebreaker wrote:

5.3 Selling Shares - First bullet

"Director's certificates cannot be sold."

So a player only gets rid of a Director's Certificate if another player buys more shares than the current director? So no company dumping?

You can dump a company, although that's not the emphasis of the design. You cannot sell a director's certificate to the bank pool (as you can in 1825, for example).

Pentaclebreaker wrote:

page 11

second paragraph - left column

Is selling Director's shares of other companies OK?
Procedure should be: Exchange Director's certificate with two shares from the player with the next most shares in the respective company . . . Director's certificate cannot be sold if no player holds two shares!

Some rewording is in progress here.

Pentaclebreaker wrote:

I am definitely want to buy this game!

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I just sent a new version to Ian to review. He provided revised wording to address route and connection definitions.

I have been making Devin and Martin's edits. Thank you for taking the time to provide these detailed notes! I agreed with most and made the changes.

Some notes about the edits I did not make.
Quote:
D&KR: why muck about with a private certificate? Why not just put the presidency of the company in the Auction pile?

The back of the private includes some wording about how to handle the company formation that will save some trips to the rulebook.

Quote:

5.4 Buying a Share - Top of page right column

Shouldn't this paragraph get its on bullet?

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Version 1.0 rules are posted to the AAG game page.
https://sites.google.com/site/aagamesllc/home/ian-scrivins-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.