13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dungeons and Dragons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chantal Graham
msg tools
Hi folks,

My almost 12 year old wants to start playing DnD and I have no clue what set to buy to start him off. Can anyone recommend a starter set and a progression from there?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/...

Is the current edition starter set, if it is the Role Playing Game he is interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set will give you more information.

Generally it is better to click RPGs at the top - which will take you to RPGGeek (it uses the same account as your BGG username/password).

After the starter set then you can move on to the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual. But of those three the PHB is the more important one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he have people to play with? If not you might want to see if any game stores close to you are running drop in games. You could even go with him, when I participated in those at my local store we had a couple parent/child combos and it was always fun for everybody.

The official groups are usually on Wednesdays and you can find where they are by googling "dnd store locator". Some stores will also have other ongoing campaigns, only way to find out about those would probably be the store itself though.

If he already has friends that also want to play, the already linked starter kit is probably the best place to start. The "related products" section at the bottom of the page has the next books needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can echo the recommendation for the 5th Edition Starter Set. It's a great introduction for playing and DMing, and superb value for money!

Also, the basic rules are available for free on the Wizards of the Coast website, so you don't even need the Player Handbook to get started (although once he's hooked he'll want it... along with everything else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig up the old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules!
There's tons of free content available for AD&D as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:

There is - but that isn't a route I would recommend for someone getting into D&D for the first time.

The 5e Starter Set, then get the PHB and maybe look at the Adventurer's League (D&D Organized Play) or maybe download some modern free adventures from the net. Then if you want go look back at some of the old adventures. Or branch out and play other systems as well - maybe something SF, or super-heroes, or spies, or something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chantal Graham
msg tools
Thanks to all for the advice! Appreciate all the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Professor X wrote:

There is - but that isn't a route I would recommend for someone getting into D&D for the first time.

The 5e Starter Set, then get the PHB and maybe look at the Adventurer's League (D&D Organized Play) or maybe download some modern free adventures from the net. Then if you want go look back at some of the old adventures. Or branch out and play other systems as well - maybe something SF, or super-heroes, or spies, or something else.

I read the OP too quickly. I agree - unless you're a veteran, the old AD&D materials would probably be overwhelming.

I tried to get back into D&D with edition 3.0 and 3.5, and was not very pleased. I've heard better things about version 5.

All that said, it might not be a bad idea to start with one of the boxed boardgames to get acquainted with theme and general concepts (such as Castle Ravenloft, Drizzt, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rutherford
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
Novus Ordo Seclorum
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5e starter set is fantastic. I got it and ran through the beginning adventure for my kids (ages 10 and 12) and they loved it.

Then they borrowed it and started running games for their friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Rule of Cool's Legend RPG. For quite a while, it was considered the "new and improved 4.0" of DnD. The core book can be downloaded for free: http://www.ruleofcool.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, the 5th Edition Starter Set is great place to start. This is because it not only teaches what a role playing game is but also teaches the role of the Dungeon Master, comes with pre-made characters and several adventures to serve as examples of how to create your own and includes a set of dice. Basically everything you need except pencils, friends and an imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Have a look at Rule of Cool's Legend RPG. For quite a while, it was considered the "new and improved 4.0" of DnD.

I've not heard much about it. Doesn't get talked about much on rpg.net or rpggeek. There is a review of it on rpggeek though. However it does seem very niche to me. RPG is quite a lot about community. That is why a lot of people gravitate to the latest edition of D&D as a first game. There is lots of material available - both on the web and published. There are forums where you can ask any question and get an answer pretty much straight away. There are organised play sessions. People are likely to be able to find others that know the rules pretty much wherever they go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.