Subject: Storage Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something for you guys still trying to figure out how to store your game.

I used this box:
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Storage-Organization/...

Which broken token also makes an insert for:
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/standard-sized-card-organizer-...

I did replace the handles and hinges on the box because it is very cheaply made. But that's what you get for only ~$20. I feel a lot better about it with that stuff being replaced. I also made my own custom vinyl graphics for it. Anyways this is what I've come up with, plenty of storage for the future as well (this is 2 cores and Rougarou):

http://imgur.com/3jpoOK6
http://imgur.com/cQIi7rS

Note on the broken token insert: It was slightly small on the short dimension so I had to put a wood spacer on one side. Wasn't a big deal. The long dimension fit perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Love the custom vinyl graphics! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I bought one of those cases for my Arkham Horror storage some time ago and it was a lame light brown color. I had to strip it, stain it, seal it, even put some gold leaf on it! haha These new ones that come stained in a darker color look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! Can you post links to the replacement hardware you used? I've been having a tough time finding something decent. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing!

The latches:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SYODES/ref=oh_aui_deta...

The handle:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS8GFQG/ref=oh_aui_deta...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Holloway
msg tools
Love this and have ordered everything you have listed here. Now i have to ask you how you did the custom graphics? It looks so good. Thank you for posting all of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heavyboots79 wrote:
Love this and have ordered everything you have listed here. Now i have to ask you how you did the custom graphics? It looks so good. Thank you for posting all of this.

Well I am a graphic designer for a company that has access to vinyl plotters. I just quick threw a design together and ran it out on one of those. If you'd like I can give you an .eps file of the design if you can find someone to cut it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Don't Wake Cthulu
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olafpkyou wrote:
heavyboots79 wrote:

Well I am a graphic designer for a company that has access to vinyl plotters. I just quick threw a design together and ran it out on one of those. If you'd like I can give you an .eps file of the design if you can find someone to cut it for you.

Did you have to drill into the box or was it as simple as unscrewing and replacing the hinges with included screws?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pro-Tip: Try to bolt on the handle instead of using weak screws. I have this box loaded with LotR and it is very heavy. The weight of all those cards plus the box itself is enough to rip the screws right out. At the very least use a good glue. The hinges don't require a nut and bolt as they don't bear the same load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olafpkyou wrote:
heavyboots79 wrote:

Yes please! Is there a site online to have this done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfscream wrote:
Did you have to drill into the box or was it as simple as unscrewing and replacing the hinges with included screws?

And did you use the screws that came with the hardware, or replacement screws? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfscream wrote:
olafpkyou wrote:
heavyboots79 wrote:

I actually used self tappers and offset the new hardware slightly to allow for new holes while covering up the old ones.

Joe Casadonte wrote:
Wolfscream wrote:

And did you use the screws that came with the hardware, or replacement screws? Thanks!

I used heavy duty self tappers. The heads of them are a little big on the hardware but it doesn't bother me too much.

Robrob wrote:
olafpkyou wrote:
heavyboots79 wrote:

Yes please! Is there a site online to have this done?

I'll try to upload it to the files section. I'm sure there are many places online to do something like this, but I'd bet your local sign company would be your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Don't Wake Cthulu
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olafpkyou wrote:

I used heavy duty self tappers. The heads of them are a little big on the hardware but it doesn't bother me too much.

Thank you! Totally a craft noob but ordered the hinges and handle to try this myself. My understanding is that with self tappers you can basically just use an electric or regular screwdriver and the self tapping screw will carve its own hole in the wood right? No need for a pilot hole or anything fancy? If you don't mind me asking what size/brand self tappers did you use for the hinges and handle? Im assuming this is something i could get at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfscream wrote:

Thank you! Totally a craft noob but ordered the hinges and handle to try this myself. My understanding is that with self tappers you can basically just use an electric or regular screwdriver and the self tapping screw will carve its own hole in the wood right? No need for a pilot hole or anything fancy? If you don't mind me asking what size/brand self tappers did you use for the hinges and handle? Im assuming this is something i could get at Home Depot or Lowe's?

That is exactly right, just don't bear down on them too hard or you may strip out the hole the screw made. The wood is cheap on this box so it is easy to do, but there solutions (like wood glue in the hole) if you do that. Or you can bolt all the way through as well.

I just got whatever generic self tappers I saw. I did make sure they were under .5" in length so they didn't go through the walls of the box. I think they may be 3/8" long off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The vector file is up, for those wanting to have a way to cut the vinyl graphics themselves. You can find it here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140439/design-custom-stora...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Holloway
msg tools
Thank you for sharing this with all of us. I have placed an order with my local sign shop and hope to have it next week. This will be my first pimp job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Don't Wake Cthulu
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think these would work for the screws?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-100-Count-6-x-0-3...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-x-3-8-in-Zinc-Plated-P...

I'm so overwhelmed lol. I love the ones you got and ideally would like to just the same ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
olafpkyou wrote:
Here's something for you guys still trying to figure out how to store your game.

I used this box:
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Storage-Organization/...

Which broken token also makes an insert for:
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/standard-sized-card-organizer-...

I did replace the handles and hinges on the box because it is very cheaply made. But that's what you get for only ~$20. I feel a lot better about it with that stuff being replaced. I also made my own custom vinyl graphics for it. Anyways this is what I've come up with, plenty of storage for the future as well (this is 2 cores and Rougarou):

http://imgur.com/3jpoOK6
http://imgur.com/cQIi7rS

Note on the broken token insert: It was slightly small on the short dimension so I had to put a wood spacer on one side. Wasn't a big deal. The long dimension fit perfectly.

That's is awesome! You could make those and sell them. I know I'd order one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Agree with Robbie. Bolted the handle back on for the same reason. Works fine - used it for LotR and now for AH LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heavyboots79 wrote:
Thank you for sharing this with all of us. I have placed an order with my local sign shop and hope to have it next week. This will be my first pimp job.
please share the results. How much was the quote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olafpkyou wrote:

I just noticed your postscript. I have the original "natural wood tone" artists case and my Broken Token insert fits perfectly. I wonder if the new "dark wood tone" box is of slightly different proportions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfscream wrote:
Do you think these would work for the screws?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-100-Count-6-x-0-3...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-x-3-8-in-Zinc-Plated-P...

I'm so overwhelmed lol. I love the ones you got and ideally would like to just the same ones.

Those are sheet metal screws; I'm not sure they would be good for wood, and they have rounded tops, not tapered tops.

I'm thinking of going the bolt route, myself. I just need to find them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Here is what I used (I believe successfully):

Round headed combo bolt (bolt plus nut) #8 (32 X 5/8 inch)(my brand was Everbilt, but I am sure any other would work)

I also used #8 flat washers (also Everbilt)

I just got them from the local hardware source (Home Depot)

Note: I used the handles that came with the box. On the interior of the box, with the washer and nut in place, everything is flush with the interior (ie. the bolt does not stick out past the nut). I suppose to be perfectly flush you could countersink the nut (however, you would have to shorten the bolt accordingly) - however, in my opinion that would simply weaken the wall of the box at the bolt, thus defeating the purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
mb
Here's where I think I'm headed. I'll do the same thing I did for my LotR LCG:

1. Hobby Lobby Artist's Box
2. Go7Gaming horizontal tray (so campaign inserts can go in the top fold-out).
3. Reinforce handles of box with new bolts and blind nuts; add side latches for extra security and a magnetic closure (though with the side latches, the magnetic closure is actually redundant).
4. Stain/paint box, add top graphic, seal with poly.

Here's how my LotR ones turned out. I did two, one for player cards and one for scenarios. For Arkham, for now, I think one box is plenty.

Box interiors, scenario on left and player on right:

Player exterior:

Scenario exterior:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Terry
United States
Nowhere
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawkstrike wrote:
Here's where I think I'm headed. I'll do the same thing I did for my LotR LCG:

1. Hobby Lobby Artist's Box
2. Go7Gaming horizontal tray (so campaign inserts can go in the top fold-out).
3. Reinforce handles of box with new bolts and blind nuts; add side latches for extra security and a magnetic closure (though with the side latches, the magnetic closure is actually redundant).
4. Stain/paint box, add top graphic, seal with poly.

Here's how my LotR ones turned out. I did two, one for player cards and one for scenarios. For Arkham, for now, I think one box is plenty.

Box interiors, scenario on left and player on right:

Player exterior:

Scenario exterior:

How did you add the graphics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.