Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Idea - Corporate HQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Small, simple idea that adds a thematic element, where every corporation has a tile with their corporate logo on it, and this tile is placed on the board at the start of the game on a non-placement bonus location.

You place a marker of your color on it, and thus will give each player a starting tile they own on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister mystery
msg tools
will be very influential on balance, corps with less board pressence can block those valuable spots, even with non-placement bonus locations.

In a game with mining corp all others if able will place theirs on the steal/titan tiles to just cripple all of corps benefits, block good spot for initial city of thesaris.

What about the balance of the placement bonuses...

Some cards will have troubles for free placements (mining area....)

Of the two mining areas one needs to be adjacent making the card cheaper on the other hand if i remember rigth, if you could achieve this by placing your inital tile you would just make it the better of the two cards, now both are nice and situtational else one is simply better.

so even if you state non placement, you can place them so, that the placement bonus places in the vicinity get less valuable or easier execissible for you. But with nonplacement i think it could work if someone wants, but not sure if it is good for the game (speeking from a very balance driven player perspective)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
MisterMystery wrote:
will be very influential on balance, corps with less board pressence can block those valuable spots, even with non-placement bonus locations.

In a game with mining corp all others if able will place theirs on the steal/titan tiles to just cripple all of corps benefits, block good spot for initial city of thesaris.

What about the balance of the placement bonuses...

Some cards will have troubles for free placements (mining area....)

Of the two mining areas one needs to be adjacent making the card cheaper on the other hand if i remember rigth, if you could achieve this by placing your inital tile you would just make it the better of the two cards, now both are nice and situtational else one is simply better.

so even if you state non placement, you can place them so, that the placement bonus places in the vicinity get less valuable or easier execissible for you. But with nonplacement i think it could work if someone wants, but not sure if it is good for the game (speeking from a very balance driven player perspective)

All that sounds like it makes the tile-laying portion of the game more interesting to me, which in my opinion the game could use. I must admit I couldn't follow some of what you were saying there about specific instances, but all of it sounded highly situational.

It would certainly have to be non-placement bonus locations, which in my experience are usually avoided most of the time anyways (except in very situational circumstances which you tried to point out) and/or till late in the game when people are trying to fill in spots around their cities.

As you can normally place your first tile in game wherever you want anyways, I don't really see how allowing each player to place one in a non-bonus spot to start would mess up the game much at all. Plus, only greenery tiles have to be adjacent anyways (unless a card says otherwise for some special tiles). But this would mean that if you play a greenery tile early, it would have to go next to your HQ, which would be interesting at the start as people expand out.

Anyways, it was just an idea. I'm sure the brothers will know best if it would work, and/or how to do it the best way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister mystery
msg tools
The brothers will defenitly know. But for some corps the First tile to place is harter than others space vs for Example free City thesaris. Mining wants to place. The steel Spots in the lower corner already are at the sie giving lass options for the Player to buid around (not6 as a central one. If i place a free Corp tile there i take another Potential cöosw Spot for mining who wants to place there. If i ad Other Corp have a spezial placement tile i wont place it there to make it harter for mining.

On the Other Hand some corps need less board to score and are less influened by extra tiles. They even benefit more of having this tile for adjacency requirements.

You place Corp tile next to steel/titanium and the one Player drawing the adjacency mining area just saved 4-5mc vs the one drawing the other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
MisterMystery wrote:
The brothers will defenitly know. But for some corps the First tile to place is harter than others space vs for Example free City thesaris. Mining wants to place. The steel Spots in the lower corner already are at the sie giving lass options for the Player to buid around (not6 as a central one. If i place a free Corp tile there i take another Potential cöosw Spot for mining who wants to place there. If i ad Other Corp have a spezial placement tile i wont place it there to make it harter for mining.

On the Other Hand some corps need less board to score and are less influened by extra tiles. They even benefit more of having this tile for adjacency requirements.

You place Corp tile next to steel/titanium and the one Player drawing the adjacency mining area just saved 4-5mc vs the one drawing the other

Sounds like lots to think about when placing your corporate hq to me, making the board a more interesting part of the game. Great!

I agree it would tighten up the board, but I think you are overselling (or it could be a language thing?) how much it would negatively impact one corp over another. You are still able to place any tile you want anywhere except for greenery tiles.

This mining rights example you keep using just means you'd be able to get it out faster. Otherwise you'd wait until you get another tile out onto the board, and then play it then anyways. Importantly, it still makes perfect thematic sense (maybe even more sense?) that a corporation would setup their HQ right next to a location where they can exploit their mining rights contract.

The corporations that don't have an effect related to the board, can use their HQ to take/block prime non-bonus locations (if such a thing exists). Corps that do, can choose a spot that might benefit them. Again, since greenery tiles are the only that really have any adjacency rules I'm not entirely sure how dramatic this is. If anything HQ tiles would be more limiting as that first greenery tile wouldn't be able to be placed just anywhere anymore ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.