Hide
8 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why can I not add Ops points to a country? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D A
msg tools
Sorry, but this may be obvious if you're playing the boardgame where, y'know, you get rules n stuff, but being a noob with no friends, I have the electronic game.

Playing as US, Soviets kicking my butt, it's turn 2, AR4, and in Italy we have [3|5].

I played the Blockade card, got rid of a 3-point card and tried to add 1 Ops point to Italy to deny the Soviets control of the country. The game would not allow it.

Can someone pls explain why? Is there an eight point limit on countries? Or is this as confusing to you as it is to me (because electronic game not following board game rules)?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
aragond wrote:
Sorry, but this may be obvious if you're playing the boardgame where, y'know, you get rules n stuff, but being a noob with no friends, I have the electronic game.

Playing as US, Soviets kicking my butt, it's turn 2, AR4, and in Italy we have [3|5].

I played the Blockade card, got rid of a 3-point card and tried to add 1 Ops point to Italy to deny the Soviets control of the country. The game would not allow it.

Can someone pls explain why? Is there an eight point limit on countries? Or is this as confusing to you as it is to me (because electronic game not following board game rules)?

Thx

If your opponent controls a country, you must spend 2 ops for 1 influence in that country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes 2 Operations points to add 1 influence in a country that the other player controls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
If your opponent controls the country, then every point of influence you add costs you 2 Ops point until they no longer control the country.

So, in your scenario, it would cost you 2 Ops points to get Italy to 4|5 and your opponent would have lost control of Italy. From there, you could spend the usual 1 Ops point per point of influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Italy was at a [3][5] with a +2 influence in favor of the USSR, that would give them control over Italy. It takes 2 Ops points to place an Ops Point in a country/region where the other player has control.

So, in this case to match the USSR in Italy it would require 2 of your Ops Points to get to 4, then 1 more to match at 5, costing you a total of 3 Ops Points to bring Italy to a [5][5] even state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said. On a slightly related note. Steam has Twilight Struggle on sale for 50% off at the moment. I bought it last Thursday and love it!

After many hours playing and then going back to the playing the boardgame last night I can now more quickly calculate presence, domination and control for some reason. I am really good at pattern recognition and I must have memorized what the different battleground and non-battleground patterns on a continent translated to in points. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aragond wrote:

The electronic game includes the rules. Paying 2 ops to place 1 influence marker into an opponent controlled country is covered in the electronic rulebook and in the electronic tutorial.

Once you've got your feet wet, try playing online. Then you won't be a noob with no friends anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play the tutorial first, then against the AI as both sides a few times. Then play against online opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.