$30.00
Chad McCallum
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on expansion content out there (at least none I could find with a cursory search). From my understanding some (most?) of the expansions for KD:M are meant to actually replace the base game content, to give it replayability / variety.

Can someone comment on which expansions actually add content as opposed to replace content? When you play the game, do you just face the same enemies until you're confident enough to go after the "next boss"? Or do you just play the same 8 bosses in a specific order for 30 or so lantern years?

I'm already a backer, just wondering which expansions may be considered essential for extending content so I could include some add-ons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
These expansions add to the game without replacing content

flower knight

dung beetle knight

lion knight

lion god

manhunter

lonely tree

however, it is possible to play with both gorm and white lion azt same time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCallum
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Can you comment on which ones are the best value for the money? I'll do some reading as well (I saw there was a good thread detailing each expansion in the forum as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Only two expansions replace any content from the core game:

Slenderman and Spidicules.

Sunstalker and Dragon King can both be added to a core campaign as huntable monsters if you do not want to use their alternate campaigns.

At no time does the Gorm replace the White Lion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb

flower knight has one of the best encounters, hes a low level huntable creature that you can hunt from lantern year 1. His showdown is a lot of fun however his rewards arent very good and after 1 or 2 hunts its pointless choosing to hunt him again.

The Dung Beetle Knight is rated as one of the best expansions, probably the best overall since it is Poots favorite monster it comes with a lot of stuff. Hes a tough mid level huntable creature. No negatives to this expansion other than him being quite tough to kill.

The Lion Knight is a fun nemesis encounter. His showdown changes things up. Hes abit unusual and its kind of interesting to. Overall hes a good expansion and you encounter him 3x in a campaign. Some great rewards for killing him. Hes quite tough but easier than the Dung Beetle.

Lion God is a huntable monster. Hes extremely tough. Probably the toughest monster out of all the expansions. Hes a late game monster about lantern year 20. His rewards are also pretty good and his showdown is one of the best. Problem with him is in the previous version you only had him for a few lantern years to hunt but now with 30 lantern year games i can see him being more desirable to include in a game.

The Manhunter is a nemesis encounter, hes tough and is the only monster currently that can go to level 4 difficulty. Aside from the lion god hes the hardest. If you want to make kingdom death harder then add the manhunter, hes a beast and gives some great rewards. You could encounter him many times in a campaign.

The lonely Tree is a chance encounter during a hunt. it is considered the weakest expansion. I wouldnt recommend it unless you want everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fen hasn't been in this thread yet to say it so I'll say it for him. Sunstalker is arguably one of the best quarries you can buy (second only to Gorm). Reason being is almost all of the gear from it is great, the armor set is incredible, and its all gated reasonably but fairly.

Also if you really like bows then the Sunstalker is the go to expansion. Lots of great bows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
Only two expansions replace any content from the core game:

Slenderman and Spidicules.

Sunstalker and Dragon King can both be added to a core campaign as huntable monsters if you do not want to use their alternate campaigns.

At no time does the Gorm replace the White Lion.

That's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
the gorm does replace the white lion. there was lots of talk about why the prologue wasnt changed to a gorm as well. People suspect the new prologuew with 1.5 will be for the gorm. You can however quite easily play kdm with both gorm and white lion, with both spidicules and screaming antilope if you desire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
tumorous wrote:

i rmember lots of discussion about having a gorm prologue, if he iddnt replace it not sure what all that talk was abour..

When i played gorm i used both white lion and gorm simply because i couldnt bare to go without the cats eye circlet.

The gorm is considered the best expansion, or at least the most essential. The gorm is a huntable monster, hes actually the easiest lvl 1 monster to defeat. easier than the white lion in most cases.Hes a solid monster, fun and has some interesting mechanics but not overly different to what you see with the lion.His rewards are excellent and so are the new locations and innovations.

The gorm storm settlement event however has the random chance of punishing you after every event to balance out the overwelmingly positive effect of adding the gorm to your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RTigger wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on expansion content out there (at least none I could find with a cursory search).

wait for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
RTigger wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on expansion content out there (at least none I could find with a cursory search).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCallum
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunstalker seems to add the most settlement locations (3) - is that a good metric to go by for "content variability"? I guess it depends on which parts of the game seem repetitive, but I haven't played the base game at all. Perhaps I'm overreaching already trying to expand a game I don't even own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RTigger wrote:
Sunstalker seems to add the most settlement locations (3) - is that a good metric to go by for "content variability"? I guess it depends on which parts of the game seem repetitive, but I haven't played the base game at all. Perhaps I'm overreaching already trying to expand a game I don't even own

The base game is plenty of game. You can get tens of hours just from your first campaign, assuming your settlement survives that long. You can play hundreds of hours of just the base game before even touching the expansions.

EDIT: Gorm does not replace the White Lion. Sam, please cite your sources for claiming it does, because if you're right I'd like to play correctly. My source is the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCallum
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks everyone for the help! Looking forward to my first campaign of KD:M!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hall
msg tools
What do Slenderman and Spidicules replace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmatter14 wrote:
What do Slenderman and Spidicules replace?

Slenderman replaces the King's Man and Spidicules replaces the Screaming Antelope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.