Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Kick Off! and am a little confused about where to start with the game. The Core Rules refer to a 3v3 intro game on a 2' x 2' board, which is supposedly explained in the Quick Start rules, but neither Quick Start rules nor a 2" x 2" playing field are included. I know I can get the Quick Start rules online, but the board might be a little more tricky. Is this intro game still the recommended place to start, or should I just go with the full game?

Also the 'Core Rlues' typo on the contents page and at the top of page 4 really should have been caught...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting on my copy, so I cannot offer much help, but want to hear what others have to say. Sad to hear about the silly typo, and why they refer to the 3v3 intro game on a 2'x2' surface, without including the latter, or explaining the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking further at the board, it seems a 2'x2' board is included in a fashion: the paved side of the board has a square in the centre that is more-or-less marked out, and the other lines and folds fairly closely line up with the measurements for the 2'x2' board from the Quick Start rules: the goal line becomes the edge of the pitch, the deployment line becomes the goal line, and the fold in the board becomes the deployment line.

I don't know if this is intentional, it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the material provided, but it seems like it would work. Of course, there are still no Quick Start rules in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McDowell
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
In this video, at about the 4 minute mark, it is stated that the "Kick Off! Read this first" booklet includes the Quick Start rules?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yDZbpmSpo

Was that not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoranBGG wrote:
In this video, at about the 4 minute mark, it is stated that the "Kick Off! Read this first" booklet includes the Quick Start rules?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yDZbpmSpo

Was that not the case?

It's not, not in my copy anyway. The "Kick Off! Read this first" is a detailed demonstration of a full turn of the 6v6 game. It leaves out some of the full rules, but it's nothing like the Quick Start document on the Steamforged website. I guess maybe they've changed their approach to introducing the game for this season, but forgotten to edit the mention of 3v3 out of the Core Rulebook.

This is the source of my confusion. It's not a very big deal, I just figured I might as well ask what was going on since I won't be able to play it until Friday anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did read somewhere that they planned printing a 2x2 pitch on the back of the board, so it could be used for both. So I'm sure that it's there.
Although I sort of thought they would re-do the 3 vs 3 starter game with models from the guilds included with Kick-Off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Danzo wrote:
I just got Kick Off! and am a little confused about where to start with the game. The Core Rules refer to a 3v3 intro game on a 2' x 2' board, which is supposedly explained in the Quick Start rules, but neither Quick Start rules nor a 2" x 2" playing field are included. I know I can get the Quick Start rules online, but the board might be a little more tricky. Is this intro game still the recommended place to start, or should I just go with the full game?

Also the 'Core Rlues' typo on the contents page and at the top of page 4 really should have been caught...

I know I'm not answering your question, but curious what your impression is of the miniatures quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangecoke wrote:
Danzo wrote:

I know I'm not answering your question, but curious what your impression is of the miniatures quality.

They're fine, I suppose. I'm not a great judge because I've not seen the resin/metal Guild Ball miniatures, and I generally dislike miniatures and avoid games that feature them heavily (this game looked too good to pass on, though).

With that said, I'm not really impressed. I think they'll probably be distinguishable on the pitch (big guy, guy with oar, guy with hook, guy with beer, girl, cat, etc), but they're still ugly hunks of plastic to me. I'd much rather be using standees, or flat discs like in Duel of Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jones
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each their own I guess. I like the models. The detail are nice and not over done.

The 2x2 playing space should be the inside of the paved area as already mentioned.

The "start here first book" has such a tiny picture for how to set up the 6 players on the two teams that you need a magnifying glass to see which model is which. The rules are pretty short when compared to other tabletop skirmish games. It is worth the investment of time to figure it out. Guild ball is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick start rules found online are designed to go with the one captain two players starter boxes that are currently available. However, from what I understand, those boxes are being phased out. Starting in a year or two, they will be distributing expansions in plastic teams of six, like those found in the kick off box.

All this is guesswork. I've just started playing, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.