Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THOUGHTS

The first playthrough of this game can feel a bit overwhelming. There’s a lot going on here and just like many euros, you are not going to be able to do all of the things that you want to do. For some, this might be an automatic no-go, but for me, it’s a major draw. I really enjoy worker placement. I am very into heavy euros. I love Uwe Rosenberg. For me, this game puts a check in every box.

Thematically, this game has got it going on. Rosenberg’s love for the subject matter shines through every aspect of the game. The inclusion of the Almanac just seals the deal. I am a sucker for these kinds of little extras. Lewis and Clark did something similar and the old Age of Empires computer games were jam packed with all kinds of interesting historical data. It’s not often that you encounter a game that is also educational, but this is one of them and I love that.

Gameplay-wise, this game is very well put together. Each placement of your Vikings forces you to make some agonizing decisions. For instance, choosing the fourth column actions comes at a heavy cost. Taking those actions early will use up your Vikings at an accelerated rate leaving your opponents with the run of the board unhindered. However, if you put it off, there’s always a chance that it won’t be there when you’re ready to take it. Should you or shouldn’t you?

In the case of whaling, for instance, the payout for a successful whaling trip is quite substantial and the cost of failure isn’t very steep. Even if you fail, you still get a few resources to help on future whaling expeditions and you get a few of your Vikings back. This can be especially useful if you’re attempting to jockey for position so that you can take the starting player marker. However, if you’re hoping for a failure but wind up with a success, you could effectively knock yourself out of the rest of the round giving your opponents unfettered access to whichever actions still remain. Multiply this kind of decision making by the sheer volume of available actions and you’ve got the recipe for a game that never ceases to be challenging and interesting.

Because of the sheer number of decisions and the large number of negative points staring you in the face from the get-go, some turns can turn into particularly long ones as you and your opponents try to parlay your actions into goods as efficiently as possible. I suppose you could consider this a negative. But, while analysis paralysis can be frustrating in some games, it’s almost welcome here as it provides you extra time to try to develop a strategy while other people are thinking out theirs.

Another thing that could be considered a drawback is that there is very little direct player interaction. All of the action takes place on the action selection board and while it is possible to get in someone else’s way, there’s no way to outright attack them directly. So, if you’re the type of person that prefers a little warfare to your games, the lack of it here could be a turnoff for you. Also, be aware that this games uses up A LOT of table space. If your gaming space is at a premium, then this game might not be a good fit because you are going to need a good deal of room in which to play it.

I, however, am not dissuaded. I love the challenge and the puzzle that this game brings. I love the gameplay. I love all of the tiny little pieces. I love the artwork and the history. I just love it. And that is why A Feast For Odin gets my seal of approval. If you haven’t played this one yet, then you’re missing out.

For my full review in which I go into more depth about the components and gameplay, you can check it out here: http://www.meeplemountain.com/reviews/a-feast-for-odin-revie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcassonneFreak wrote:
But, while analysis paralysis can be frustrating in some games, it’s almost welcome here as it provides you extra time to try to develop a strategy while other people are thinking out theirs.

Ugh, no.

I realize that a large part is my gaming partner, but the analysis paralysis in the last two rounds of our first game was ridiculous....spoiled an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
CarcassonneFreak wrote:
But, while analysis paralysis can be frustrating in some games, it’s almost welcome here as it provides you extra time to try to develop a strategy while other people are thinking out theirs.

Ugh, no.

I realize that a large part is my gaming partner, but the analysis paralysis in the last two rounds of our first game was ridiculous....spoiled an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also possess a DGT CU3E but the guy who almost always wins the game (or any game!) declined to use it. I will grant him this as a favour for his winning streak.
We used it yesterday only for measuring the time consumed. It was 28", 36" and 54" in a 3-player short game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael humphreys
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... Fight the Analysis Paralysis Police!! ... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Livie
msg tools
I am wondering whether to get fields of all arle or feast for Odin. I mostly play 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawkeye1 wrote:
I am wondering whether to get fields of all arle or feast for Odin. I mostly play 2 player.

I own both and AFFO plays very well with just 2. The upside of AFFO vs. FoA is that you can expand upwards to accommodate more players if the need arises. However, I LOVE FoA. It is a very good two player game with a ton of content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcassonneFreak wrote:
THOUGHTS
Thematically, this game has got it going on. Rosenberg’s love for the subject matter shines through every aspect of the game. The inclusion of the Almanac just seals the deal. I am a sucker for these kinds of little extras. Lewis and Clark did something similar and the old Age of Empires computer games were jam packed with all kinds of interesting historical data. It’s not often that you encounter a game that is also educational, but this is one of them and I love that.
[/url]

I like the game includes the Almanac too. It's wonderful when a game brings historical information to learn things and get a basic idea of a theme to investigate more if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.