Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the "From Darkness Unscathed" milestone is claimed when someone
Spoiler (click to reveal)
explores a Tomb of the Ancients without taking damage.

In our game, someone managed to
Roll 7 Successes, which was the defense of the tomb. But, claiming their reward led to a passage in the book where the crew got cursed, and they had to dismiss advisors or take damage. They didn't have enough advisors, so they took a couple of damage. Since they took no damage during the actual Endeavor,
we ruled that they still earned the milestone. Is there an official word on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He took damage exploring a tomb....

The Defence of the tomb is 'entering' the tomb. Then you choose where to explore from the back cover and he took damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reshurc wrote:

The Defence of the tomb is 'entering' the tomb. Then you choose where to explore from the back cover and he took damage.

I don't think this is a correct interpretation. (Note that what follows doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the initial question).

With Tombs, you *first* choose an entry in the back of the book, and roll based on what the entry tells you to. The defense of the site is applied to that roll.

To the original question:

The player has taken no damage from the roll, but did take damage during the exploration. I'm inclined to disallow the milestone here.

Mild spoiler for the milestone's flavor text:
The milestone entry's text refers to coming out of the tomb unscathed (in body, at least). To me this implies that any damage taken from the entry itself should disallow the milestone.

Don't know what the official interpretation would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reshurc wrote:

I disagree with you only now that I've read other threads on the subject. The number on the tomb site isn't even checked until after the Captains Book entry is read and you know what you're rolling for. Once a "site" is explored, it stays explored and can be interacted with (in this case, by reading an entry). I'd say that they earned the milestone, personally, as I feel the intention is simply by getting to that point in the tomb where you are reading the "took no damage" passage of the Book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
much0gust0 wrote:
I'd say that they earned the milestone, personally, as I feel the intention is simply by getting to that point in the tomb where you are reading the "took no damage" passage of the Book.

My best guess at the intention is the opposite of yours, for the reason I mention in double-spoiler tags above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play as AJ described. Our view is that all success criteria are determined based on the results of the endeavor itself (ie, the initial roll against a difficulty) and that any effects generated as part of the results are just bonuses (sometimes good, sometimes bad). And in particular as relates to this question:
(Box 3 spoiler)
We play that once you succeed at the endeavor, you have successfully explored the tomb, and if you did so without taking damage, then you explored the tomb without taking damage. Basically, we decided that the intention was that you achieved the milestone if you managed to take the "explored without taking damage" path in the Captain's Booke entry, and any damage inflicted by the reward was not part of the exploration endeavor, and therefore didn't count toward the milestone criteria.

I can certainly see how you might interpret it otherwise, but consider: under your definition, you can only succeed at the milestone by not only rolling well, but also by choosing specific entry points that don't happen to have bonus damage associated with them. (Certain entry points, such as the one in your example, will cause damage regardless of how well you do exploring.) That seems unreasonable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@Becq, I understand that approach, but I still disagree.

I was the one to achieve it, on my next turn after unlocking it. I didn't know that some of the sites would cause damage until reading here, but had I opened to one at that time, I would have declined to take the milestone, assuming that this was an intended means of delaying it to give more players the potential opportunity to achieve it.

It would still feel somewhat arbitrary when someone finally did achieve it, but less unfair, if that makes sense.

That said, the game will function fine either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input all - it still seems very unclear to me. But we're on to our next game by now, so we can't go back and change things. Plus the person who got the milestone was quite a few points behind so....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.