Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Suborbital hazard than Radiation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
What will happen if at first astronaut will become incapacitated by Suborbital and than he will face Radiation.

Rules says that "damaged component" cannot be damaged again and if there is no way to apply damage vehicle is destroyed (astronauts are also counted as components).

Does really ship will be destroyed if astronaut will be become incapacitated 2nd time in a row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question of "Why would you ever do this?! The astronaut will die at the end of the year even if he doesn't get hit by radiation" aside, I agree with your interpretation of RAW but don't think that this was the intent.

I'd play it as the astronaut immediately dying when he would become incapacitated while already incapacitated. The rest of the spacecraft should not be affected IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
The ship being destroyed specifically refers to the consequences of outcomes (from an outcome card). Hazards such as radiation are different.

The rules don't specifically address what happens if an incapacitated astronaut becomes incapacitated by a hazard.

If there is a non-incapacitated doctor on board, that situation would be avoided (?), so the astronaut facing double incapacitation must die at the end of the year anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When an outcome requires you to choose a component to damage, and there's nothing left that can receive damage, the spacecraft is destroyed. This does not apply when something requires you to damage a specific component, like a minor failure on a rocket, or radiation affecting an astronaut.

2) If an astronaut is incapacitated by launching into space, you need to heal them or bring them home before the end of the year, or else they'll die. Sending an incapacitated astronaut on a maneuver that takes a year or more is guaranteed to be fatal, even if radiation doesn't affect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
This question is "what if". When I introduce my players to game I don't look at their hands when playing (I don't think they would like it anyway). This situation may occur in case of new players and than there would be confusion what to do.

If I was playing solo I would either took doctor for mission as an insurance or I would send astronaut back to Earth if Suborbital hazard had occurred with no doctor on board.

Edit
Thanks all : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.