Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the first game last night. Mixed feelings. Probably a little too long. And Wicked Clutches just made the game unfun, at least for that aspect.

Are there any rules people decided to play differently? Fewer cards for fewer players? Any cards people just choose to trash and not use?

I like the nugget of the game. But feels like it needs some small tweaks to avoid making it unpleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I'd adjust it. It feels at the right level of game play to me. I would suggest trying to adjust the chaos token bag to help with skill tests. Failed skill tests can slow the flow of the game to make cards like wicked grasp truly hit harder than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
From a time before Pachinko...
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
My group agreed that Wicked Clutches isn't a recipe for fun times, but we actually also had a problem with Insurance Racket. But this may be due to reading the card wrong.

What we got from the card is that you get an extra card buy each round, and also all your future purchases cost 1 less gem of your choosing. It seemed very over-powered to us based on this reading, even considering it's a C card.

Any thoughts? We only played one game so open to the possibility it was just learning pains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanziham wrote:
My group agreed that Wicked Clutches isn't a recipe for fun times, but we actually also had a problem with Insurance Racket. But this may be due to reading the card wrong.

What we got from the card is that you get an extra card buy each round, and also all your future purchases cost 1 less gem of your choosing. It seemed very over-powered to us based on this reading, even considering it's a C card.

Any thoughts? We only played one game so open to the possibility it was just learning pains.

I find Insurance Racket one of the most useless cards in the game (though I have seen it be effective...once). First you have to hope its out on the first draw of the C deck, then if you buy it, you'll only have 1 or 2 rounds after that to use it. You could likely buy point cards instead and end up in a better placement.

As for Wicked Clutches, I find it a fun card, but not an overpowered one. I've seen it get up to 5 points, but most of the time you're looking at less than that, even 0 at times. I've seen many comments about people seeing it as a broken card though, so maybe I just don't utilize it as it should be. (I've often seen the card go unpurchased for many rounds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, upon rereading things I see our mistake, as we just used a single market stack (A upon B upon C) to form the market which always had 5 cards at the beginning of a round, no more.

But the Insurance Racket is still up to 5 potential gems and up to 3 extra purchases. I'll have to see how it works with the correct market makeup.

As for Wicked Clutches, it's not even about the points (though they gave the player who got it plenty of'em), it's the fact that after getting it all he would do is take the biggest cut of the loot he could to force others to take from him, without almost any real thought behind it. It made things a lot less enjoyable for us since it practically turned him into an automaton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tysen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanziham wrote:
As for Wicked Clutches, it's not even about the points (though they gave the player who got it plenty of'em), it's the fact that after getting it all he would do is take the biggest cut of the loot he could to force others to take from him, without almost any real thought behind it. It made things a lot less enjoyable for us since it practically turned him into an automaton.

Are you remembering that after you steal you can return more than 1 item to the middle? Usually that means that the WC player isn't stolen from more than once per round. We've never had a problem with the card and have found it fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
tysen wrote:
Zanziham wrote:

Are you remembering that after you steal you can return more than 1 item to the middle? Usually that means that the WC player isn't stolen from more than once per round. We've never had a problem with the card and have found it fun.

We know we can do that, but people would always get a bit greedy, and he'd get maybe 2 points a round (I think even 3 once) depending on how useless the rest of the loot-pile was.

But again, it's not the points themselves, it's that it changes a person's strategy in a very unfun way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
msg tools
We had an issue with the player with WC keeping the first player token a lot. In a 5 player game it meant the 5th player was rarely in a position to buy any cards as they were all gone or he didn't have the right combination.

Any strategies people are using to stop someone hogging the 1st player token? as he had WC it meant no one could reliably steal it off him.

despite I think most players (maybe not the guy who never got to buy anything) enjoyed the first play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to consider, is the amount of players. I imagine with less players WC is more powerful, since there are more dice to go around, and therefore steal.

With 3 players, depending on what dice are available and who needs what I could see you being able to activate WC a number of times.

With 5 players, even if you were the first player with WC, chances are you take all, get stolen from (1), then on your next turn you take a players pile, return 1 die, get stolen from (2). At this point, the stealer will return 1 die leaving 2 in the center. If the WC owner takes from the center or a player they'll only have 2 dice at most, and no one will steal from them. To me this is best case scenario, if you dont have the first player token you'll likely only get stolen from once, if at all.

Back to OP's question and cards to remove... Remove Imbalanced Scales

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see all of this complaining about the Wicked Clutches, it's my favorite card in the game. I've rarely seen someone with this card get stolen from more than once a round. I'ts a stage 2 card, I doubt it would get more than 5-6 infamy points a game, which is on par with some of the flat point cards. Grabbing the Building cards would net far more points.

So what if the person grabs all of the dice up front for an easy VP, it doesn't slow the game down, it just means a lot of dice are going to get re-rolled back to the middle. Doing this move would normally mean that the player with WC will end up having last pick of loot after it's taken from him and he won't have many good options left.

Really, the best way to play the WC is that you can potentially get away with maybe one extra die than usual, and you might get another point each round. There's a lot of strategy to it and I never felt it was imbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conway
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
tysen wrote:
Zanziham wrote:

You can return more than 1 item to the middle? We've been playing this wrong the whole time!

Despite that, we really haven't found that Wicked Clutches is too overpowered. It does tend to change the strategy for the person who has it, but if the other players are paying attention, we've maybe got 7 or 8 points from it, which is high for a B card, but often at the cost of all of your gold after fighting over the first player token to grab it, so it's come out about even.

I'm not sure I like the idea of returning more than 1 to the middle, as it takes some of the strategy away from the initial pick (draw two more dice than you really need, so if someone steals them from you, you can still steal back what you need, but with the added bonus of knowing what everyone else has, or the like) I'll have to try it a few times with the right rules now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Maggers wrote:
We had an issue with the player with WC keeping the first player token a lot. In a 5 player game it meant the 5th player was rarely in a position to buy any cards as they were all gone or he didn't have the right combination.

Any strategies people are using to stop someone hogging the 1st player token? as he had WC it meant no one could reliably steal it off him.

despite I think most players (maybe not the guy who never got to buy anything) enjoyed the first play through.

We made a house rule that you replace the card you just bought immediately after buying it. It makes the game faster and gives more options to the player at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.