25 Posts

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How good is the game just for solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Been looking this game and seems nice, but I have to ask, would I get the Complete experience by playing it solo ? Also what kind of AI the game use?

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Solo = perfect (it was created to be a solo game, they added the co-op rules in the 3rd edition).

AI = one card per turn that tells you which zeds to move (if they reach humans, combat! It's a dice roll affair, no particular "tactic" or "combat cards", so the AI does not need to do anything there. They are more numerous and - on average - stronger than you, so their mass is more than enough to be challenging. It's the reason why zombies are so good as "opponents" in this kind of games: many and stupid, no special AI needed!).

Note that a lot more is going on during a game (research, foraging, random events, etc.), but I do not consider that "AI" (e.g. a human opponent would still be subject to those random events, no choice allowed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I told you (imagine Morpheus meme), the game was initally designed as a Solo experience , so it is probably Best with 1!

The AI is the so called ZedsPhase, where Zeds move on different tracks.
Also each round there is some kind of event happening.

The round cards are stacked in a way the story arc progresses through several act.

Additionally, there is another deck, the so-called Fate Deck. These events appear randomly and provide even more positive or negative effects for diversity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. The games roots (1st and 2nd edition) were solo only games. The nature how how many actions you have per turn and the characters available to you, I kinda feel the game is better as a solo experience myself.

The "AI" is in the form of a deck of cards. You build the deck up, selecting a number of cards and putting them in a random, but specific order. Then you pull the first one and follow the instructions on the card. It will tell you how many additional actions you receive, which Zeds move and where, whether you can pull and Event card (another deck), etc. It's really neat. You win if you can survive to the end of that deck.

The game also has different levels. You can make your way up from basic, to level 1, 2, 3 etc. Each level adds some more gameplay elements but also some more cards for use when building your play deck.

If you're looking for a solo game, and are interested in this one, I strongly recommend it. Especially quantities are becoming limited and it will soon be unavailable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is excellent for solo, that's the only way I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Lyle!
Thanks for the responses everyone! As stated, the first two editions and the expansion kit (The Director's Cut) are all solo-only games. Of course, I play most of my solo games as de facto co-op's by just having my kids or friends join in on the "solitaire" side of the decision making. The third edition includes the first, second and expansion editions plus VPG added in there own "official" co-op and multi-player modes.

Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game a lot solo and a few times co-op, and I have to say I like it so much more as a solo game.

It's one of my favorites of all time to play solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also choose to play solo with co-op rules. This gives you more actions per turn, but it also increases the number of zombies and zombie movement each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best solo games out there. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert L Miller
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My absolute FAVORITE solo game!! You can't go wrong here. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the answer, one more question , how about replay ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dgenclass wrote:
Thanks guys for the answer, one more question , how about replay ability?

Immense (I've played it only ten times so far, but I'm quite confident about it).

Not only because you have cards (in three different decks: Events, Research and Fate), dice rolls, zeds drawn from a bag (they are slightly but significantly different), random characters to use against the horde, etc., but mostly because you use only a fraction of everything (e.g. with "average duration - level V" setup, you use 27 of the 91 events cards, 4 of the 17 characters, 1 of the 7 groups of heroic civilians, less than half of the possible Researches, etc.).

Unlike most games, that have you use everything with the most advanced rules (and thus need an expansion or two to add enough "extra stuff" to make the game feel fresh again for veterans), here's many "extras" are already in the box (and so the game will need A LOT of plays to feel "samey").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I wish the coop contents can be played in solo games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's exactly what I meant, does coop mode have more stuff than the solo one ? Any way to adapt it to the solo mode or maybe isn't that important

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo mode content is the majority stuff, so I'll say coop mode content is a bonus... So far no ideas how to make them in solo games yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You guys got me good, I bought it yuk

Since looks like my copy of vinhos got lost In the mail, I'm using that money to get zeds! Now to hope this doesn't get lost !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
By the way, I wish the coop contents can be played in solo games...

It seems that many players enjoy playing "solo multiplayer," the rules allow it. ;-)

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank gallagher
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo coop because I like the extra actions, but I still want to control everything. My sweet spot is playing as if there were one other player. No issues at all, not even to house rule anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
It seems that many players enjoy playing "solo multiplayer," the rules allow it. ;-)

Alan Emrich

Like the Darkest Night, I like the way to control heroes plus other units all by myself devil
Now, I wonder if there's an AI system to control those anti-heroes / anti-civilian in solo games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About difficulty levels, is it recommended to win the easiest and then move on the next? Or the levels are more like complexity levels of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More like complexity levels.
You may even skip the first few levels if you want to~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok so I tried s basic game, and I have to say Wow! This game is seriously goood !

It feels so cool and some times tense to play it , and it's super thematic which helps, i love how the zeds behaves and how it complements with cards and stuff, oh, for some reason I love the board material

After winning the basic game, should I climb all the levels one by one or can I jumo to level 2 for example

Congrats to the team for making such a good game! Can't wait to keep playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We told you so.

dgenclass wrote:
After winning the basic game, should I climb all the levels one by one or can I jumo to level 2 for example

Skip all the levels you feel comfortable with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:

Jump 1 by 1 so that you can grab the rules at slower pace.
So, up to you. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Dickinson
Canada
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Yeah, this game is super great. I've only tried solo so far but I'm excited to introduce it to my group at some point.

As far as jumping levels, i beat the basic game the first time I played it (barely) and thought about playing it again to master it but I couldn't resist so I immediately moved on to the next level. Some of the other levels I will probably play more than once just because there's not a ton of variation just in the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.