Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been invited to a rather large gaming centre to play test my card game, and I'm feeling nervous about showing my game to strangers for the first time face-to-face (So far everything has been via BGG, BGDF, and social media.)

Other than a few copies of my game, what else would I be expected to take?

Does anyone have any tips for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Beer. To brake the tension.

Put a sign: [ game name ], Good Feedback = Free Beer

Can't go wrong with that. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from beer, maybe some forms for feedback (and pens!), but trying to elicit something more than "it was good" -- like "What is the thing you would most like to change in this game?" Also give the opportunity for people to sign up for email updates about playtests, publication, future projects, etc.

It would also be nice to have cards/slips that basically say "Thanks for trying my game; here are my contact details, I'd love to hear from you."

And, back to that beer: actually, having a bowl of sweets or something might be a good idea.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Brando
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What would you call a large event?
what company invited you, and when?

I've looked through your items (assuming it's the factions game), and if this isn't just a hypothetical scenario laid out as an actual event or potential opportunity, and that you are indeed progressing to showcasing it this early, it seems rushed and that you need to spend more time making things more coherent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Beer. To brake the tension.

Put a sign: [ game name ], Good Feedback = Free Beer

Can't go wrong with that. XD

Haha, people will do anything for free beer!

polyobsessive wrote:
Apart from beer, maybe some forms for feedback (and pens!), but trying to elicit something more than "it was good" -- like "What is the thing you would most like to change in this game?" Also give the opportunity for people to sign up for email updates about playtests, publication, future projects, etc.

It would also be nice to have cards/slips that basically say "Thanks for trying my game; here are my contact details, I'd love to hear from you."

And, back to that beer: actually, having a bowl of sweets or something might be a good idea.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll use the thank you card idea, and the sweets if I'm allowed to.

Etherian wrote:
What would you call a large event?
what company invited you, and when?

I've looked through your items (assuming it's the factions game), and if this isn't just a hypothetical scenario laid out as an actual event or potential opportunity, and that you are indeed progressing to showcasing it this early, it seems rushed and that you need to spend more time making things more coherent.

It is a large gaming centre, not a large event.
I think I may have chosen my words badly. I've been invited to show my game, get it play tested, and get to know the people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Yeah sweets are good idea. That would drag me to your stand like a moth to a candle. That and the girl in the cosplay outfit related to your game. Those 2 things are hard to pass, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Yeah sweets are good idea. That would drag me to your stand like a moth to a candle. That and the girl in the cosplay outfit related to your game. Those 2 things are hard to pass, lol.

I don't know anyone who would get dressed up and come along, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Btw, what's your card game about, if it's not a secret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Brando
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Quote:
I think I may have chosen my words badly. I've been invited to show my game, get it play tested, and get to know the people.

Well what gaming center is it, and when?
If it's only playtesting, then there is little to be nervous about with how it is presented as negatives are to be expected and welcomed as an opportunity to improve.

What will go down badly is if the rules aren't clearly laid out though. Especially issues with timings (the order in which things such as effects occur.)

I'm kind of surprised you got any playtesting done without those issues ironed out first as arguments happen when people interpret the rules in different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Btw, what's your card game about, if it's not a secret?

No, it isn't a secret, i have a WIP thread you can take a look at HERE.

Etherian wrote:
Quote:

Well what gaming center is it, and when?
If it's only playtesting, then there is little to be nervous about with how it is presented as negatives are to be expected and welcomed as an opportunity to improve.

What will go down badly is if the rules aren't clearly laid out though. Especially issues with timings (the order in which things such as effects occur.)

I'm kind of surprised you got any playtesting done without those issues ironed out first as arguments happen when people interpret the rules in different ways.

It is the IQ Gaming Centre in Huddersfield, up noth.
I am expecting negatives to come up, that is what playtesting is for, but i can be quite self-conscious and I'm not always the best at explaining.

I will take extra care to make sure the rules explain as much as possible.

Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sweets with poison if they don't like the game surprise Just kidding...

No kidding

A "large gaming center" means you have multiple tables playing at the same time? If yes, clear rules are a must. I saw a lot of "game presenter" run up and down the room during convention to answer questions from people who have not understood how the game works.

Also, if there are a lot of tables, a questionnaire at the end of the game may be a good idea (few questions, multiple choice, no open-ended questions...maybe just one at the end) so you don't have to chase after them while you are doing something on another table and you can collect opinions.
Tell them there is a (not mandatory) questionnaire before starting so they don't go away. And offer not poisoned sweets to people who compile it

If there are few tables skip the questionnarie which usually is boring. But write down everything they say!

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How did the play test go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Maybe he can't respond because he's in jail due to your advice about candy. XD

Let's give him some time. Showcases sometimes come with painful memories. >;}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Maybe he can't respond because he's in jail due to your advice about candy. XD

Really hope he didn't follow my advices XD

8Oj4N wrote:

Let's give him some time. Showcases sometimes come with painful memories. >;}

Yeah, I know. My first blind playtest was a half disaster. But, precisely for this reason, it really helped me

(and here I had the idea of candies...whistle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
House of Borgia were from Italy, right? That can explain poisoned candy scheme.

I just got an idea for a board game where objective is to poison all the nobles that belong to other player's house, while they are having a big party in the castle where there is a large table (represented with a board) with food and drinks on it (as tokens). So, your objective is to make a full circle with each of your nobles, going around the table and picking up food or drink tokens (depending what nobles like to eat or drink). The catch is, some of them are poisoned by each player, and there was a mix up, so each player have only half of info which are good and which are bad (cards in hand telling you what is safe to eat/drink). Problem is, you need to move your nobles around using action cards that have limited number of moves forward which you can split on 2 nobles, only one, or all of them.

For instance, card with move 6 and the image of a drink, is giving you an option to move 1 noble 2 spaces, another one 4 spaces, but the last noble you have moved must pick up the drink from the spot on the table where he finished his movement. If there is no drink he can pick up there he must swap 2 tokens on the table instead (on any position), but only if he doesn't have a drink! If there is a drink there, and his noble card is telling that he must have at least 3 drink tokens and 2 food to be able to leave the table, and he didn't fill his drink prerequisites , he MUST take it.

What players will try to do is to position their nobles on the 'safe' spots, knowing what is not poisoned by them and at the same time they will try to swap poisoned things on other spots. All of this would be nice and dandy if there is not a King order cards, and they are played each turn. King might order to more food to be brought (swapping some stuff on the table) or for more drinks, or to rise a glass to his health!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got bailed, they don't have any evidence.
I ended up not being able to go for personal reasons, but I will let you know how any play tests go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I wish you good luck.

Since I'm doing my prototype showcases in digital form through Tabletop Simulator, I can share some experiences although they might not be true like face-to-face showcases since I'm safe behind my computer screen and communicate only through mic with random ppl that join my virtual room. They can toss things around though, and sometimes they do. But, virtual fists doesn't hurt.

1. If you don't manage to sell your game pitch in first 3 min then your opening speech is not that good.

2. Having a good looking prototype is a 50% of battle won :]

3. Be sure to have perfect knowledge of your own game rules or you gonna lose your credibility fast ('Did you really made this game?') XD

4. If during a showcase situation arise which you can't explain by game rules then you didn't play-tested your game enough. XD

5. Don't mention Trump. Never.

6. If someone in your audience starts to make provocative remarks or jokes, give him to shuffle cards, arrange tiles or tokens, whatever, just give him something to do with the game setup so he would stop blabbering.

7. Laugh when others laugh.

8. Always have at least one poisoned candy in your pocket. You never know when it might be useful. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.