12 Posts

Space Hulk (fourth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Are the expansions worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Herring
msg tools
mb
I just picked up the 4th edition box and see that the Deathwing and Genestealer are from the early 90s. Are they able to be played with the current set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, you could use those older expansions if you account for any updated rule changes. But, if you're interested in additional missions that are written for the 3rd and 4th editions of the game, then check out the Black Library missions designed to be read from an iPad, or check out some recent issues of White Dwarf, (off the top of my head I can't recall the issue numbers, but they are noted somewhere here on BGG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red0Herring wrote:
I just picked up the 4th edition box and see that the Deathwing and Genestealer are from the early 90s. Are they able to be played with the current set?

No. Their components are vintage of that era. The tiles are much, much thinner and look different, they were meant to go with First Edition. They wont connect up with the modern tiles seamlessly (if at all). Other components are thin cardboard, so, again different. The miniatures (If you can find them) are also much less refined. You can find their rules and missions online if you try.

What you should know about 3rd and 4th edition is they are a sort of "best of" Space Hulk, Deathwing, and Genestealer. Deathwing formally introduced weapons like the Assault Cannon and Lightening Claws. The new edition(s) with their expanded Terminator complement included the expansion weapons. Genestealer introduced Cult hybrids and very involved psychic rules (too, involved for my tastes, TBH). The new version(s)have much cleaner, easier psychic rules. The main thing lacking is Genestealer Hybrids. And, as cool as they are, they were not everyone's cup'o tea.

With the new versions of the game, you get all the good stuff in the one box (sans hybrids). If you want to add more, you will need to do some work. For instance, GW just released a Genestealer Cult (i.e., hybrids) army for 40K (after only a 23 year wait!). The hybrids models are available on eBay. But, no modern rules for Space Hulk, yet. The Conspiracy Theory Voice in my Head says that's just too much of a coincidence for GW to not put new hybrids in a new Space Hulk expansion, especially with the game suddenly coming back into print. BUT, the Buzz Kill Voice in my Head says, seriously, didn't you learn ANYTHING from a 23 year wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And... BOOM! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOua1NGUXo5c0hwWG....

If we do get new expansion, it means I may have to spend some coin, finally get 4th and ditch my mods. Although I might not need 4th edition as I intend on building a modular version so wont need the tiles.

The 1 thing i don't like about 4th is the lack of large corridors, like loading bays, with crates etc... Naturally I've 2 sets each of Deathwing and Genestealer just for these tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Red0Herring wrote:

No. Their components are vintage of that era. The tiles are much, much thinner and look different, they were meant to go with First Edition. They wont connect up with the modern tiles seamlessly (if at all).

For what it's worth, the 1st and 2nd Edition tiles can be attached to the 3rd/4th Ed tiles without a problem. They're a bit thinner, so your Marines might feel need a 'mind the step' sign, but they slot into the 'jigsaw' connectors just fine.

The different art styles between the editions suits the theme perfectly too - your Space Hulk really will be a mish-mash of different ships from different places in time and space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, to know.

True that they could represent different ships smashed together. FWIW, I have been known to connect Space Hulk tiles (early editions) to Advanced Space Crusade Tyranid "Guts Boards."

But, also know you are adding this:

To this (Genestealer):

Again, it's not seamless. The Fourth Edition tiles are more than twice as thick, and their art is much more GrimDark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Duncan
msg tools
ZombieMark wrote:
Red0Herring wrote:

No. Their components are vintage of that era. The tiles are much, much thinner and look different, they were meant to go with First Edition. They wont connect up with the modern tiles seamlessly (if at all). Other components are thin cardboard, so, again different. The miniatures (If you can find them) are also much less refined. You can find their rules and missions online if you try.

What you should know about 3rd and 4th edition is they are a sort of "best of" Space Hulk, Deathwing, and Genestealer. Deathwing formally introduced weapons like the Assault Cannon and Lightening Claws. The new edition(s) with their expanded Terminator complement included the expansion weapons. Genestealer introduced Cult hybrids and very involved psychic rules (too, involved for my tastes, TBH). The new version(s)have much cleaner, easier psychic rules. The main thing lacking is Genestealer Hybrids. And, as cool as they are, they were not everyone's cup'o tea.

With the new versions of the game, you get all the good stuff in the one box (sans hybrids). If you want to add more, you will need to do some work. For instance, GW just released a Genestealer Cult (i.e., hybrids) army for 40K (after only a 23 year wait!). The hybrids models are available on eBay. But, no modern rules for Space Hulk, yet. The Conspiracy Theory Voice in my Head says that's just too much of a coincidence for GW to not put new hybrids in a new Space Hulk expansion, especially with the game suddenly coming back into print. BUT, the Buzz Kill Voice in my Head says, seriously, didn't you learn ANYTHING from a 23 year wait!

Hmm, hybrids. Nothing about them appealed to me. Shooting a Terminator with an autopistol on a six? You wouldn't do that in WH40K, not in my day! It was a 1 in 216 chance, not 1 in 6. I also agree regarding the Genestealer psychic rules. Very interesting. They fitted seamlessly into the game. The problem was they ruined it. Assault cannon with full ammo on OW. I'll just step round the corner with an aura and smite him. The game became just a battle between the psychers, with level 3/4 librarians shooting round the board dealing destruction while the other marines were just psyker fodder. The Deathwing psyker rules were just a close combat bonus.

I love the new psychic rules. the Deathwing Combat bonus plus a useful but not overpowering psychic addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim D wrote:
Shooting a Terminator with an autopistol on a six?

it was all about those Heavy Weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Jim D wrote:
Shooting a Terminator with an autopistol on a six?

it was all about those Heavy Weapons.

Yeah, that moment of clarity that comes from losing 4 out of 5 Terminators to one Conversion Beamer blast.surprise... cry...shake...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan de Konde
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the last Terminator was able to survive and being victorious , it is still fine... And, did he made it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Armorcast makes some 3-D space game corridors. Would that help with the conversion problem, or are there different sized rooms in the old edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zbv500 wrote:
As long as the last Terminator was able to survive and being victorious , it is still fine... And, did he made it?

From one Geek to another...If I'm dumb enough to lose 4 Termies to one shot, you know I probably ain't smart enough to win with the last Termie.zombie

But, that's why we play the game.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.