$30.00
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
To those who consider themselves gaming aficionados:

My name is Dr. Kevin Hadley. I am an engineering educator out of South Dakota. I am leading a research project where we are trying to evaluate the educational value of cooperative games for teaching STEM students to work in teams.

The pilot study utilized Pandemic due to its ease and short gameplay. We have been encouraged to extend our study to other games to address teamwork skills better implemented by other games. For example, is there a co-op game better equipped to teach intra-team communication?.

We are specifically performing what is called a Delphi Study (named after the Greek oracle). This process involves iterative feedback from experts like game publishers, game designers, game reviewers, and other game "experts" to serve in our study.

This is an open call to those who would consider themselves "experts". If you are interested, send me a private BGG mail with the following information:

1) How many games you own
2) How many of those are co-operative games
3) How often do you play games
4) How often do you play co-operative games
5) Approximately, how many different co-operative games have you played (at least once)
6) Approximately, how many different co-operative games have you played at least 3 times (indicating a level of familiarity with "good" games)
7) List as many teamwork "skills" present in co-op games
8) What is your primary language?
9) Age?
10) Occupation?

Commitment would basically require you to fill out 3-5 surveys on cooperative games. The goal is to make each one require no more than 20 minutes to complete. Each survey would ask questions like which games depend more heavily on task planning to meet success.

The questions will essentially be the same between each survey, but you will be provided with the other participants responses so everyone can come to a consensus to answer the questions (as experts).

Currently, we have 3 publishers, 3 game designers, and 3 full time game reviewers who have committed along with a number of other "experts".

Thank you for your time. If you have any questions, reply to this thread. If you think you want to participate, send me a BGG private mail with the answers to the above questions. Depending upon the volume (or lack thereof) of responses and your individual "expertise", we'll let you know if we'd like you to participate.

Thank you again,

Kevin Hadley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
Admins:

If there is a better spot for this, feel free to move it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Gloag
Japan
Shinjo-shi
Yamagata
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just clarify that we're talking about 'pure' co-op games? Would, for example, "Escape from Colditz" or "Scotland Yard" be applicable where you have a team working together vs. one other player. "Shadows over Camelot" also comes to mind, but, in that game, there is the chance of one player being a traitor so it's not a 100% 'pure' co-op game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
dgbg wrote:
Can I just clarify that we're talking about 'pure' co-op games? Would, for example, "Escape from Colditz" or "Scotland Yard" be applicable where you have a team working together vs. one other player. "Shadows over Camelot" also comes to mind, but, in that game, there is the chance of one player being a traitor so it's not a 100% 'pure' co-op game.

not always.

Even in dead of winter, there may be a betrayal component, but there is still some "support" from the betrayer for the team to win. In other words, the betrayer can't win without working as a team (to some degree).

Scotland yard is ok, but not as co-op-y as I'd like. It requires a true antagonist. However, that can always be played by me or a TA.

However, those things will come out as part of this survey. Experts will decide what counts as co-op and doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
dgbg wrote:

So are you interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Geekmail sent.

Will you be sharing results with the participants, or on the geek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
philreh wrote:
Geekmail sent.

Will you be sharing results with the participants, or on the geek?

Interim results with only the participants.

Final results, with the geek and in an official publication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
The first survey is out. We'll still take some volunteers, but act quick before round 2.

Also, thanks to all that already volunteered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
a quick bump for those last minute volunteers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Mendoza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any chance to participate in the survey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
send me a geek mail with the info from above and we'll see. Likely, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.