Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we had five players. I played the guards. I know there have been a lot of threads here about the imbalance of the system in favor of the guards, but I must be a dumbass. I tried to block the way of prisoners as indicated by many here at the Geek, but being outnumbered my guards were constantly needed elsewhere for more pressing matters.

At certain times during the game I had to make a decision of who to chase down because I couldn't catch everyone. I had some success, but so did the prisoners. In fact, a prisoner player won the game because his second escapee was able to out run one of my guards. Of the four prisoner players only one did not have at least one escapee.

I know there is a huge concern about the guards being able to block certain areas, but it seemed to me while playing that the guards were spread too thin. Once the prisoners were in a position to run there were several attempts all at the same time and not enough guards to intercept.

Now, I am no expert as this is my first time playing, but I just can't see how a player can just park his guards in certain places to block prisoners when a lot of the time they are badly needed elsewhere.

We did have one player that got locked down in solitary late in the game, so the experience was soured for him as he just couldn't find the solitary release card or roll doubles.

Bottom line, I think I will hold judgment for this game being broken in favor of the guards. I lost the game, but I liked it a lot. The theme of the game fits well into the game play. The others in my group were lukewarm on it at best. Though, they did get a kick out of watching my slow ass guard try to chase down that last escapee...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I thought you did a great job trying to keep us locked up! Not sure how the game scales based on number of POW players - maybe 4 is a tough number?

I didn't think that we as the POWs did a very good job of working together. I think it would be even TOUGHER for the guards player to win if the POWs were tightly coordinating their efforts.

All of that is to say I don't think (based off one play with no prior knowledge of the game) it seems broken (or even highly slanted towards) the guard player's favor.

I did enjoy many aspects of the game: Great components; great rules; great theme! I just think, as I mentioned afterwards, that the game goes a little too long for what it is. Would be a great game at the 1.5-2 hr mark.

I'd be willing to play again, just wasn't a "favorite" based on game length. When we have 2-3 hours for a game, I think other titles like Fury of Dracula, BSG, Thrones, Railroad Tycoon, etc would be preferable for me for that length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game since the early 80s but this is my recollection too. If the prisoners coordinate and take their time to prepare then once ready the guard can be pulled in too many directions and is easily overwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zordren wrote:
Chris,

I thought you did a great job trying to keep us locked up! Not sure how the game scales based on number of POW players - maybe 4 is a tough number?

I didn't think that we as the POWs did a very good job of working together. I think it would be even TOUGHER for the guards player to win if the POWs were tightly coordinating their efforts.

All of that is to say I don't think (based off one play with no prior knowledge of the game) it seems broken (or even highly slanted towards) the guard player's favor.

I did enjoy many aspects of the game: Great components; great rules; great theme! I just think, as I mentioned afterwards, that the game goes a little too long for what it is. Would be a great game at the 1.5-2 hr mark.

I'd be willing to play again, just wasn't a "favorite" based on game length. When we have 2-3 hours for a game, I think other titles like Fury of Dracula, BSG, Thrones, Railroad Tycoon, etc would be preferable for me for that length.

Thanks, Stephen! I'm glad it wasn't entirely a waste of time for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I assume you played for 50 turns? Don't forget the rules advise you to reduce that to 40 after your first play through, once people learn the ropes. That would both increase the pressure on the Escaping players, and reduce the play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.