Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Landberger
Sweden
Spånga
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the game has been out for a couple of years I hope I don't make a remark that has already been made. I can't read all forum threads to find out :-) I just read the rules to play the game for the first time tomorrow.

I found a "bug" in the rules about getting points for selling cubes. It says: "if you sell all your cubes, at least two you will score 1 FP". But it should be "if you sell at least two cubes you will score 1 FP", disregarding if it's all your cubes or not.

Why? you might ask.

Well you have to stop your movement at the sell point since selling is not a minor action so you will be there blocking the space until the beginning of your next turn and can thus jetison all your other cubes before selling whatever the sellpoint demands without risking someone else to steal them, and thus fulfilling "selling all your cubes" to get the FP. Then at the beginning of your next turn pick up all the jetisoned cubes, and since that's a minor action you have all the same choices for the rest of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just point out that that isn't without risk if another player is nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't have to be that nearby if they have tier 2 or 3 engines... with decent rolls, they can be across the board and helping themselves to your "free cube buffet" in one turn.

Dropped cubes are especially tempting, since they score for the scavenger and deny you the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-reading your post, I think I see the problem...

You don't actually "block" the hex you are in. Other players can pull up next to you and spnd two movement points to take an action as if they were on the space themselves. (See page nine of the rulebook, "Using Occupied Spaces".)

Since sweeping up your cubes is a minor actions, they don't even have to end their movement; they can spend two more movement points to take another action in your space, and sell your cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
per42 wrote:
Since the game has been out for a couple of years I hope I don't make a remark that has already been made. I can't read all forum threads to find out :-) I just read the rules to play the game for the first time tomorrow.

That's what the search function is for :)

per42 wrote:
I found a "bug" in the rules about getting points for selling cubes. It says: "if you sell all your cubes, at least two you will score 1 FP". But it should be "if you sell at least two cubes you will score 1 FP", disregarding if it's all your cubes or not.

You don't see a problem there? Let's say you have 6 cubes aboard. You can take 3 sell actions and get 3 points. That's waaay overpowered.

per42 wrote:
Why? you might ask.

Well you have to stop your movement at the sell point since selling is not a minor action so you will be there blocking the space until the beginning of your next turn and can thus jetison all your other cubes before selling whatever the sellpoint demands without risking someone else to steal them, and thus fulfilling "selling all your cubes" to get the FP. Then at the beginning of your next turn pick up all the jetisoned cubes, and since that's a minor action you have all the same choices for the rest of the turn.

Think you missed something here. You never "block" spaces in Xia. Anyone can just be on a neighboring space, spend 2 movement, and use the space (including picking up your free cubes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
per42 wrote:

That's what the search function is for

The search function for this site isn't always any better for a game with as much activity as this, as you get a lot of red herring hits and duplicate hits for the same thread, and it can be just as painful to sort through them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

sigmazero13 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
per42 wrote:

That's what the search function is for

The search function for this site isn't always any better for a game with as much activity as this, as you get a lot of red herring hits and duplicate hits for the same thread, and it can be just as painful to sort through them all.

Two things to help mitigate the issues mentioned by Scott:

1) Select the "Rules" forum as the only forum to search

and,

2) To get rid of the duplicate results, type "-re" after the search term. So the search entry would look like this:
selling cubes -re

Assuming you selected the "Rules" forum only, doing this would return all original posts that have the terms "Selling" and "Cubes", from the Rules forum, but without showing each and every duplicate reply to the OP.

Edit: I just tried this ("Selling cubes -re") and got only nine results, with each result being a separate thread. I didn't look at them to see if any answer the OP's question... perhaps a different search phrase might be needed, but you get the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can just ask the question and someone will be happy to answer regardless of whether it was asked before.

I've never been a fan of the "no repeat threads" mentality on forums. It usually just leads to arrogance and elitism, rather than helpfulness, at least in other forums I've seen that get that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Landberger
Sweden
Spånga
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Or you can just ask the question and someone will be happy to answer regardless of whether it was asked before.

I've never been a fan of the "no repeat threads" mentality on forums. It usually just leads to arrogance and elitism, rather than helpfulness, at least in other forums I've seen that get that way.

Thank you! I agree totally.

And thanks everyone for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.