Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is an attempt to summarize and consolidate the various rules clarifications that have been made in this forum, with links to the threads/comments. I will try to keep this post up-to-date with any further clarifications.

3.9 The Five Player Game. In addition, remove one die from the dice pool (because the port in region A is open). (updated 2016.12.01)
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24362383#24362383

4.2 Refresh. Investments should be reset to zero at the start of each turn.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1672395/are-investments-res...

5.1.2 Industry Leaders. For the purpose of determining the Industry Leader, “holdings” includes enterprises on the map.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1672469/industry-leader-wha...

5.2.4, 5.3.2 & 5.3.4 Underselling. An “enterprise” is any counter with a price: Opium, Fleet, Merchant, Bureaucrat, and Smuggler. Therefore, Merchants, Bureaucrats and Smugglers may undersell each other in land zones.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24013971#24013971
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24030073#24030073
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24219500#24219500

5.2.5 Special Envoys. Use of a Special Envoy always allows the player to ignore the opportunity requirement, including when using it to place a Merchant in a closed region. Note: Opportunity is always present when placing a Merchant: in a closed region, use of the Special Envoy also provides opportunity; once a region has been opened, there is always opportunity. (See Rule 1.8.)
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1672548/can-i-spend-two-spe...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677653/it-correct-say-merc...

5.3.1 & 5.3.7 Qing Force & Outrage Tracks. The Qing Force and Outrage tracks may go higher than 10. (added 2016.12.14)
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24469744#24469744

5.3.6. & 5.3.7. Adjusting Demand. The number of dice in a region should always be equal to the number of uncommitted black counters. (A counter is "uncommitted" if it is not participating in a completed supply chain.) Therefore, when a police action eliminates a Smuggler in an incomplete chain a die is removed. However, if a Smuggler is eliminated in a completed chain (thus breaking the chain) the introduction of new dice will depend if there are any uncommitted Smugglers left alive in the now broken chain. Note: If a Smuggler undersells another enterprise in a completed supply chain, no additional die is placed or removed. (updated 2016.11.29)
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24351387#24351387
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24353423#24353423

5.3.8 Lin Zexu. Lin Zexu must be placed to perform as many police actions as possible.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24000797#24000797

5.5.1 Scions. The maximum wealth (value) of a scion is 7.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24260576#24260576
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24286695#24286695

6.2 Opium War. During an opium war, the commander(s) may elect not to use any amount of the available British Influence. Any unexpended British Influence is discarded at the end of the war.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1674476/leftover-british-in...

6.4 Game End. Note: In addition to a normal ending after Turn 4, the game ends immediately if the dice pool is ever empty. In that case, the player with the most enterprises on the map wins, with ties broken as usual: number of prize counters, then turn order.
Rule 1.2 & 1.2.1.

7.2 Completion of Supply Chains. Note: It is possible to complete an internal supply chain without any demand in the region by using zero-price Bureaucrats and/or Merchants.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24288321#24288321

7.3 Breaking Supply Chains. Even if an internal supply chain is broken, the one revenue previously awarded for every player enterprise in the linked coastal supply chain is retained.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24299088#24299088
Breaking a coastal supply chain does not cause any previously completed internal supply chain to break, even if the internal supply chain can no longer trace a path to any completed coastal supply chain. (added 2017.05.15)
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24223334#24223334

Example of Play. Foreign & Domestic Affairs. When the port of Region A is opened, the Smuggler in supply chain A3 should be removed because the inner and outer waters merge. In addition, the demand should be adjusted by returning the lowest die to the dice pool.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24291001#24291001
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume this will end up as a formal document to download once it is deemed "fit." Cole, are you planning on a sort of "living rules" or any future adaptation to the posted ruleset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the game is print on demand, I have just sent changes to the publisher and they are managing the rules document. I was going to send them a link to this thread in a few days (in case someone else pops up), and I imagine they will update the rules.

If they for any reason stop keeping them updated I'll take it over, no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Wargame Vault will get those changes as well, or should I be looking here (BGG) for new versions of the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
5.3.6. Expanding Demand. The number of dice in a region should always be equal to the number of Missionaries and uncommitted Smugglers in the region.
The concept of "uncommitted" smugglers is new to me and I don't see a reference to this in the rules. Apparently these are smugglers that are not in a completed supply chain. However, if the above clarification is correct, then it contradicts 5.3.7 Police Actions, which states that if a Qing force is placed in a region with a black counter, then a single black counter should be removed from the game and the region's demand should be lowered by removing the lowest die back to the dice pool.

Applying the rule as written in the out-of-the-box rules, I could place a Qing force in a region with a completed supply chain and remove the smuggler that enabled that completed chain to exist. I would then remove a die from the region's demand. This smuggler was a "committed" smuggler.

However, this clarification is saying I would not remove a die if the smuggler in that completed chain was removed.

I'm calling this out because this seems more than just a clarification -- it is an actual change to the rules. I know Cole thumbed, GG'd and commented in this thread, but I hope to get explicit clarification on this point that he did intend that the rule be modified in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see the problem.

The number of dice in a region should always be equal to the number of uncommitted black counters. Therefore, when a police action eliminates a smuggler in an incomplete chain a die is removed. However, if a smuggler is eliminated in a completed chain (thus breaking the chain) the introduction of new dice will depend if there are any uncommitted smugglers left alive in the now broken chain.

Does that make sense?

Edit: I'll need to revisit the precise wording of the rule when I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark von Minden
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Ah, I see the problem.

The number of dice in a region should always be equal to the number of uncommitted black counters. Therefore, when a police action eliminates a smuggler in an incomplete chain a die is removed. However, if a smuggler is eliminated in a completed chain (thus breaking the chain) the introduction of new dice will depend if there are any uncommitted smugglers left alive in the now broken chain.

Does that make sense?

I think we ran into this situation in our game last weekend. I don't recall how we resolved it, but there was a question about if removing a Smuggler from a completed chain should remove an additional die.

I think adding Committed/Uncommitted to the definitions section might be useful. Something like this:
Quote:
Committed / Uncommitted
Missionaries and Smugglers ("Black Counters") are either Committed or Uncommitted. A Black Counter is Committed if it is part of Completed Supply Chain, otherwise it is Uncommitted. Missionaries are always Uncommitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is consistent with the rules as written. It might be good though to insert a separate section that explicitly states the equality in number of dice and uncommitted black counters, along with a definition of committed and uncommitted and the rules that (1) when a die must be added to region it is selected from the dice pool by the player who caused that to happen and re-rolled before being placed and (2) when a die must be removed from region, it is always the lowest die and it is not rerolled, but instead moved directly to dice pool. This could condense into one rule the various die movement rules now stated in several different sections.

The only case I am unsure of is if a Smuggler is placed to undersell a Bureaucrat or Merchant in a complete supply chain. The note to Rule 5.3.6 covers the case that a Smuggler is placed so as to complete a supply chain (die rolled and then lowest die removed), but not this case. If confronted in a game situation, I would say that no die is rolled or removed if the chain was already complete and activated, but I am not sure whether that is best either thematically or as a matter of game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Ah, I see the problem.

Does that make sense?

I'm happy to understand the intent and appreciate your reply on this.

I think the rules may take care of all cases if you just clarify for Police action that a die is removed only for smugglers removed from incomplete supply chains and for removed missionaries. In a completed supply chain with just one smuggler, there should not be a die in the region for that smuggler already (it was removed when the chain completed). So removing that smuggler should not cause an additional die removal.

If the completed chain contained two smugglers and one was removed, no die is removed for that removed smuggler as the chain was complete. Then, since the chain is now broken, 7.3 would apply and one die would be added back for each smuggler left in the chain.

If both smugglers had been removed from that chain (Lin Zexu), then again no dice are removed and none are added due to the broken chain since no smugglers are left in the chain (and, thus, have become uncommitted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mfwesq wrote:
The only case I am unsure of is if a Smuggler is placed to undersell a Bureaucrat or Merchant in a complete supply chain. The note to Rule 5.3.6 covers the case that a Smuggler is placed so as to complete a supply chain (die rolled and then lowest die removed), but not this case. If confronted in a game situation, I would say that no die is rolled or removed if the chain was already complete and activated, but I am not sure whether that is best either thematically or as a matter of game play.

If underselling a complete chain and removing a smuggler I would say that you don't need to roll and remove a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

This thread is doing my heart good, because there are concepts mentioned in the sample play-through that didn't seem to have any footing in the rules. I look forward to the revisions.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Ah, I see the problem.

Does that make sense?

I'm not sure, but I think this should also be clarified when a port is opened (6.2.3.2) and smugglers are removed. They could be in a completed supply chain, or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think this should also be clarified when a port is opened (6.2.3.2) and smugglers are removed. They could be in a completed supply chain, or not.

In addition to that, should the alterations for the starting setup for a 5 player game (rule 3.9) include removing one die from the dice pool since region A starts with its port open?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:

In addition to that, should the alterations for the starting setup for a 5 player game (rule 3.9) include removing one die from the dice pool since region A starts with its port open?

Yes, yes it should.

It's funny, I've played the five player game probably twenty times and I don't think I've ever done this or realized that I should have done this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
arjisme wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:

Yes, yes it should.

It's funny, I've played the five player game probably twenty times and I don't think I've ever done this or realized that I should have done this.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more situation: if I place a smuggler to undersell an existing smuggler (that is not committed), I think it is correct that the lowest die in the region is returned to the dice pool, then a die is selected and rolled and added to the region. Well, it's either that or no dice are touched.

It can matter because the demand can change if dice are re-rolled. Also, a different die could be removed from the pool, which could impact opportunity elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

Though I feel like this is opening up an inconsistency with my previous ruling about when dice are being rolled and added and removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the set of possible circumstances involving placement and/or removal of Smugglers can be analyzed as follows:

Affected supply chain is

I. Complete and active:

-A. Chain is not broken by action (i.e., added or removed Smuggler is either undersold or undersells an incumbent): No change in dice.

-B. Chain is broken: One die is rolled and added to region for each Smuggler remaining after chain is broken.

II. Incomplete or inactive (i.e., all zones occupied but price is greater than demand):

-A. Smuggler added to empty zone or undersells an incumbent Bureaucrat or Merchant: Roll one die and add to region.

-B. Smuggler removed because:

--1. Smuggler is undersold by:

---a. A Bureaucrat or Merchant: Remove lowest die in region.

---b. Another Smuggler: No change in dice.

--2. Smuggler is attacked in a police action: Remove lowest die in region.

--3. Smuggler is removed from the inner water zone because the port is opened during an opium war: Remove lowest die.

I think that covers the possible circumstances in placing or removing a single Smuggler counter.

One further question is when the dice should be adjusted in case the action involves (or may involve) multiple additions and/or removals of counters. For example, if a conspiracy circle contains a 1-price Bureaucrat, a 2-price Smuggler and a 0-price Smuggler and a Qing Force with a police action, it would be possible to place the 2-price Smuggler in an incomplete chain, undersell it with the 1-price Bureaucrat, then undersell the Bureaucrat with the 0-price Smuggler, then use the Qing Force to remove the Smuggler. Should the dice be adjusted after each placement and removal or only after the entire Conspiracy action has been resolved? The same issue would arise in the context of an opium war, where attacks on Bureaucrats and port openings may uncommit and then remove a Smuggler. Also, strategic choices might be made if the dice are adjusted after each event, rather than only at the end. We have played that the adjustment occurs after each placement or removal, rather than being resolved only at the conclusion of the action or war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on an updated rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
brandysta wrote:
Any news on an updated rulebook?

Chiming back in on this. Looks like the files for PNP download still have a Nov 11 2016 last update. I'm dying to start working on the PNP but naturally want to avoid as many of the initial edits/changes/bugs that have been worked out in the last 2+ months (and have been resubmitted, as mentioned above). Or am I waiting for something that probably isn't going to come anyway if the PNP is just V1.0 only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding pending updates to the components, I don't think there is any issue at all with the map. For the counters, I believe there are only three very minor issues:

1. Since the Outrage and Qing Force tracks can go over 10, those counters should have "+10" on one side.
2. Since the Scions have a maximum value of 7, the legend ">=7" on the counters is possibly open to misinterpretation.
3. For a few of the player colors, the industry leader counters show different industries on the obverse and reverse.

Obviously, none of these are show-stoppers, or even really significant to game play. I wouldn't think these should hold you back from making a PnP copy with the existing files. You could probably even make the changes yourself with any decent editing software.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Barrese
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This FAQ answered my question completely, if an Opium War causes a port to open and removes a smuggler from the coastal zone of an uncompleted chain, the lowest die will be removed from that region, so the number of dice in the region always reflects the number of uncommitted black markers (missionaries and smugglers) in that region.

However, while I'm talking about Opium Wars, opening a port removes a die from the pool. Which die? The lowest, or does the commander in charge of the war decide? (Those seem like the most reasonable options, but I might be completely off the mark.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Arcozelo - Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The commander in charge of the war decide witch die is removed from the pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tecmagus wrote:
However, while I'm talking about Opium Wars, opening a port removes a die from the pool. Which die? The lowest, or does the commander in charge of the war decide? (Those seem like the most reasonable options, but I might be completely off the mark.)

I believe the rules are silent on this question. We have played that the commander chooses. (Automatically removing the lowest die seems like it would tend to skew toward opportunity, since the lowest die is removed from a region when a black counter is removed or a smuggler is committed to completed supply chain.)

There is the possibility that a joint command could not agree on which die to remove. We have not encountered that situation, but I would say that in that case, the command could not open the port and the war would end immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.