Subject: Qui-Gon-Jinn 4 shields? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Can an attempt to place a 4th shield on him be done, in order to trigger his ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no since characters are limited to 3 shields, so attempting to put a 4th shield violates the spirit of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, because his ability states he loses 1 shield BEFORE he would gain 1. So you can absolutely resolve a shield face on him, trigger his ability, and then bounce back to 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, sorry, didn't have the character text at hand and was kind of inferring it from the question. Yes, definitely can. The rules clarify this in the before/after section, if I'm not mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BSUGrad
msg tools
mb
To me, this doesn't hold water.

RRG p16 "Before Abilities": "If, during the course of a game, a before ability meets it's trigger condition, immediately resolve the before ability before continuing to resolve the rest of the effect."

The trigger condition states "Before this character gains 1 or more shields..."

RRG p15 "Shields": "Each character can have a maximum of 3 shields at one time. If an effect would give a character more than 3 shields, ignore the excess shields."

As the shield never materializes, or is able to be gained, the before ability can not be triggered.

Given =/= Gained

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an 11 page discussion about this on the FFG forums and a reply from Lukas was posted on page 9.

Rules Question:
If I resolve a die with 2 shields on it and choose to give them to Qui-Gon does he still "gain 1 or more shields" to activate his ability? Or since he is already at 3 shields does he not gain any, not being able to trigger his ability.
(bolding by me).

And the answer from Lukas
Yes. You can remove 1 shield to deal a damage, and then have him gain 1 back.

May the force be with you,

Full discussion
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/236307-does-q...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSUGrad wrote:
RRG p15 "Shields": "Each character can have a maximum of 3 shields at one time. If an effect would give a character more than 3 shields, ignore the excess shields."

As the shield never materializes, or is able to be gained, the before ability can not be triggered.

Given =/= Gained

Aside from Lucas's response, the shield is still gained but it's then ignored if it puts the character over three. The triggering condition is still met since before abilities interrupt the game to resolve. If it said after he gains a shield, it would be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.